Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article from the web and it says that three of four people suffer from an age crisis between the years of 25 and 35. In MBTI the integration of the third function also happens somewhere between the ages of 26 and 40. Could these be related? There are points in the article describing such age related crisis:

Four phases of a quarterlife crisis

Phase 1, defined by feeling "locked in" to a job or relationship, or both. "It's an illusory sense of being trapped," said Robinson. "You can leave but you feel you can't."
Phase 2 is typified by a growing sense that change is possible. "This mental and physical separation from previous commitments leads to all sorts of emotional upheavals. It allows exploration of new possibilities with a closer link to interests, preferences and sense of self.
"Up until then you may be driving fast down a road you don't want to be going down. A minority of participants described getting caught in a loop, but the majority reflected on a difficult time which was a catalyst for important positive change."
Phase 3 is a period of rebuilding a new life.
Phase 4 is the cementing of fresh commitments that reflect the young person's new interests, aspirations and values.
Notice that the word 'loop' is mentioned. In MBTI what is discussed is a mental state where one is trapped using his first and third function while being unable to attain the second function. The article also describes this as driving down the road like one is forced to do that. I think this describes a twenty-something with a new skill he doesn't yet understand or know how to 'control'. So he just drives too fast down the road and crashes into depression. The second function is the paramedics showing up at scene helping the driver.

What are your thoughts? I tried to search for existing similar posts but couldn't find any. If there's already a thread about this then feel free to remove this.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Yes, actually.

A mid-life crisis seems more common in J types, probably because they spent a lifetime of being dutiful and responsible and now want to let loose. And since we tap in to our lower functions as we age, I can see these types wanting something else out of life through Ti/Fi/Ne/Se.

Although it's highly possible that it looks more common in J types simply because it's more out of character for them

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Certainly fits my life. To the point where I actually pretend to be a Ti dom sometimes.
Well before I discovered MBTI etc, I noticed I was shifting into this more analytical mode - wanting to dissect things more, break them down, understand things "for real", a focus on wanting "evidence" to support what I already "know".

Essentially I began questioning my own understanding of how everything works.
The problem is nothing is ever good enough - actually lines up with Ti here - in that the evidence I require is completely subjective.
I don't give a shit what anyone else says, I dismiss judges remarks etc, I do not respect authority in any way to the point where I actively avoid experts on subjects etc - I want to figure things out myself and I want to uncover.. subjective "evidence" to prove myself right, no help involved.

I want to deep dive into things and develop my own understanding of the world, fuck what other people have to say about everything.
I want to understand it myself and I want it to make sense to *me*. Couldn't care less if it makes sense to others.

This is a repression of auxiliary Fe, it doesn't make sense to dismiss everything outside my own mind, but, that's what I've been doing for the last couple of years.

I noticed this years ago and have just been rolling with it.
Understanding, as of late, that this intense repression of auxiliary Fe is harmful and is the cause of paranoia and contributes to a flawed and unrealistic worldview.

The divide between Ni and Fe is immense, though, need to find the brake pedal and get the car under control, rather than wait for the paramedics.
Hey, look at me, dismissing someone elses analogy and twisting it into something that makes sense to me, way better than just accepting any kind of data from an outside source.. :D *thumbs up* :D

Anyway, yeah, I would agree with the sentiment - it lines up with where I currently am in life.
I'm finding I am becoming more paranoid and suspicious of things, highly skeptical of basically anything everyone says, and I'm actually voicing these concerns to people on the spot, in a hilarious Fe "just messing around" kinda way.

Here's a tasty example of bad Ti:

The other day I was at a cafe and ordered a drink, there was some purple cake under the counter, so I asked what it was - the person behind the counter said it was a vegan cheesecake.
I asked "what does that mean?" and she said it's just a vegan cheesecake. I said "vegans don't have anything from animals, do they - is it made with milk? eggs? I mean, what is it? What's a vegan cheesecake? What does that mean? hahahaha" - spitfire questions, she actually went and got some other girl who didn't know what it really was either. Anyway.

Did I stop to consider alternative ingredients? No. Immediately jumped on and opened fire on some poor girl just trying to do her job.
Saw something that didn't make sense, didn't think about it, just went straight to suspicion and poor logic.
EDIT: I did this in the Ni in the subconsciousness thread, for anyone who wants to see what this looks like. LOL.

Before this.. quarter-life crisis.. I never would have opened my mouth, I'm not a talker. I might have thought it, pondered it - might have even figured out how to make a "vegan cheesecake" myself, at the very least I would have further developed my understanding of why people become vegans in the first place and given thought to things like.. is the meat industry sustainable? Is it right to practically enslave animals? Is it really okay to eat them?

But lately it's been more.. see something that doesn't make sense, pounce, no consideration for other peoples points of views etc.
Total repression of Fe. Terrible use of Ti.
Actually it might even be a negative use of Fe - I'm thinking that even asking the girl about the cheesecake was Fe, just poorly utilised - trying to rally the troops, see if she agrees with me that the concept of a vegan cheesecake is bullshit. Hm.
An attempt to harmonise her mindset with mine. Mmm. Do not like where this is headed.

Anyway, ramblings aside, yeah, I dig it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, actually.

A mid-life crisis seems more common in J types, probably because they spent a lifetime of being dutiful and responsible and now want to let loose. And since we tap in to our lower functions as we age, I can see these types wanting something else out of life through Ti/Fi/Ne/Se.

Although it's highly possible that it looks more common in J types simply because it's more out of character for them
This is funny as I see myself doing the opposite and turning into this more SJ type of character. I used to be much more laid back. Now I can't stand mess and irresponsible people. I clean my home much more often and I've turned from a rule-breaker into someone who sees the ideal of a well-organized society and respects that. That is also called 'maturity' but I think that in MBTI language there's a function developing. I'm also much more interested in history, especially in war history. I wonder if that's INTP Si development.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am in the critical age range (26 to be exact) and I have experienced a bit of a quarter-life crisis as of late with the realization that I really am getting older and I need to get serious about my life goals if I intend to achieve them. I guess this makes sense as an Fi thing, since it relates to my personal goals and making what I value happen for me, though I would imagine that most people would experience something like this.

·
Banned
710 Posts
@Turi

Your post has a familiar tone, and my inner monologue runs off into all sorts of weird directions questioning things like that.
Nothing to do with age, however. Has always been so.

I must know one thing, though.

Did you order the vegan cheesecake?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts