Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to align objects in a very neat geometric fashion
when i do this i feel like i am in control
and also my mental processes are much more intact, my consciousness and mind is sharper and clearer this way
but then again i get tired of managing things this way.. but otherwise things collapse and i feel haphazard..

could this be a sign of OCD ? :-0

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't know why you ask this in the INTP forum, but anyway
as a diagnosed sufferer of OCD...don't care what name it has. It's easy to fall under those categories because our society is meant to be like that, but you say it yourself; if you feel you're better and overpowered, who cares? I have the feeling the more crazy and borderline I behave (happy borderline I mean) it's the better art i make, so i don't care.
just take care it doesn't harm you, but who cares. Many great minds have OCD and "mental illnesses". Never mind...

Reactions: Pacifique

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,592 Posts
This is sometimes called "visual stimming", meaning stimulation, when used in describing autistic and obsessive behaviors but *normal* people do it too.

I do these kinds of things, I also like to visually scan things when I'm done organizing them, it gives me the feeling you described.

It's sort of an obsessive behavior but not really OCD if you have no other symptoms. People who have no conditions can have this type of behavior, simply because of their style of thinking. If you have no other behaviors that interfere with your life or are very severe then I'd say that it's normal.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
It is only OCD (a disorder) if it begins to significantly interfere with your life to the point that you spend hours on it and just can't do anything else with that time. I think quite a few people do this kind of arranging and rearranging and derive pleasure from it. I mean if you think about this every time you clean your living quarters or working space that's same thing that you're doing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is only OCD (a disorder) if it begins to significantly interfere with your life to the point that you spend hours on it and just can't do anything else with that time. I think quite a few people do this kind of arranging and rearranging and derive pleasure from it. I mean if you think about this every time you clean your living quarters or working space that's same thing that you're doing.
very true, i see...
there are times when i cant concentrate at all should this structure be compromised.. mental and emotional focus collapse so easily.. these processes are so hierarchical rather than parallel :-0 which is a bit of tricky pickle for me.. ( i think there is some part of my brain that can't handle chaos at all and completely inflexible no matter how hard i try that is why i end up being like this ).. so i suppose it could be viewed as some degree of OCD

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is sometimes called "visual stimming", meaning stimulation, when used in describing autistic and obsessive behaviors but *normal* people do it too.

I do these kinds of things, I also like to visually scan things when I'm done organizing them, it gives me the feeling you described.

It's sort of an obsessive behavior but not really OCD if you have no other symptoms. People who have no conditions can have this type of behavior, simply because of their style of thinking. If you have no other behaviors that interfere with your life or are very severe then I'd say that it's normal.
this is very true also!
although due to this tendency i have a lot of problem with the especially chaotic surrounding of where i live (seoul, south korea! blerg! very crowded and chaotic! and full of stuff not really aesthetically harmonising) i become completely dead-focused to things like certain typefaces i discover.. certain typography / typefaces that are based upon geometric principles.. and geometric allignment, structure, neatness, refinedness, balance, variation of things.. it's almost as if i see some sort of superiority / inferiority values of the objects i see in terms of how they are geometrically more appealing / stimulating / refined / prime / emotive and which principles are behind it and so on.. same goes with colour coordination, music and so on.. somehow this affects also the romantic side of relationship which i find quite difficult.. because it keeps narrowing things down.. almost like.. when i stroll around the city, when i find an intriguing logo shape or something i become dead-concentrated on it, dead-attached to it.. and when i go home i have to draw the same pattern or analyse them or something so that i might decode the principle behind it and sort of figure out how to gain such ability myself over time (deduction and then induction)? ... (blerg.. i wrote too much again!)

also another weird habit i had was i had to keep looking directly at the sun whenever the teacher made students stand in the playground for long long hours otherwise i felt very uncomfortable :-0

so i guess this could be a bit of both - certain degree of disability in so called normal or so called social lifestyle but then again this makes me appreciate the subtleties in things.. although i get emotionally trapped too often and get bored with most of the stuff that is going on aesthetically / sensory-wise..

so im not sure what this really is .. OCD or whatever Lol.. but was sort of curious.. and cheers a lot for letting me know and reflect abit! its been quite helpful

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,592 Posts
this is very true also!
although due to this tendency i have a lot of problem with the especially chaotic surrounding of where i live (seoul, south korea! blerg! very crowded and chaotic! and full of stuff not really aesthetically harmonising) i become completely dead-focused to things like certain typefaces i discover.. certain typography / typefaces that are based upon geometric principles.. and geometric allignment, structure, neatness, refinedness, balance, variation of things.. it's almost as if i see some sort of superiority / inferiority values of the objects i see in terms of how they are geometrically more appealing / stimulating / refined / prime / emotive and which principles are behind it and so on.. same goes with colour coordination, music and so on.. somehow this affects also the romantic side of relationship which i find quite difficult.. because it keeps narrowing things down.. almost like.. when i stroll around the city, when i find an intriguing logo shape or something i become dead-concentrated on it, dead-attached to it.. and when i go home i have to draw the same pattern or analyse them or something so that i might decode the principle behind it and sort of figure out how to gain such ability myself over time (deduction and then induction)? ... (blerg.. i wrote too much again!)

also another weird habit i had was i had to keep looking directly at the sun whenever the teacher made students stand in the playground for long long hours otherwise i felt very uncomfortable :-0

so i guess this could be a bit of both - certain degree of disability in so called normal or so called social lifestyle but then again this makes me appreciate the subtleties in things.. although i get emotionally trapped too often and get bored with most of the stuff that is going on aesthetically / sensory-wise..

so im not sure what this really is .. OCD or whatever Lol.. but was sort of curious.. and cheers a lot for letting me know and reflect abit! its been quite helpful

Hehe. I do a loooottt of these things. I am really partcular about how my desktop and browser look for the reasons you described.

You should think about doing something in computer programming or web design, or possibly architecture, if you haven't figured out what you want to do yet.

Reactions: Pacifique
1 - 7 of 7 Posts