Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want some input on this. My mom seems to think I have a problem and that I need to speak with someone. She actually thinks I'm depressed, but I really don't think I have any serious problem. Though, the fact that my personality did seem to change drastically is kinda making me wonder if there is something wrong that I just don't see...
Ok...The thing that she's concerned about is that I've withdrawn a lot in the past few months. And the thing is, it's a marked contrast to the general personality characteristics I've displayed in the past. I used to be more outgoing, humorous, and communicative...MUCH more so. But I've kinda retreated into my head the past few months. I keep more to myself and am more reserved. I don't laugh as much or carry on with my family as much. To be honest, it was kinda scary for me at first because I realized that my personality seemed to make a huge transition. But it's not scary anymore. I prefer to keep to myself, but my mom has a problem with that and continuously bugs me about it :dry:...I have no animosity, but lately it only annoys me when people try to get me to talk more.

I don't think that I need to go talk to some counselor. And I really don't want to...I never really know what to say at all lol.
I think that I really started withdrawing after I left school this last year. That's why I'm thinking that I may just be un-stimulated because I'm really the kinda person who would love to be able to leave the house and do different things. But at this point, I'm pretty much stuck here...blech!

Another thing, I'm just fucking waiting to get out of the house. Not just for the sake of freedom and being able to support my adventurous nature, but I'm generally just unsatisfied with living my life the way it is right now. I want to college so I can start taking control of my life and so that I can accomplish things. I'm only seventeen, and at that, I just turned that age, but I feel like I'm just ready to get the shit out...

Then, maybe this is just a normal phase...Apparently, my parents didn't go through anything similar, but maybe it's just a phase in my personal development.

I really think that I'll be much happier once I get to college. Thankfully, I'll be starting off in junior college after I get my GED. I want to be able to work for something that actually matters.
My parents aren't very receptive or open to hearing my point of view and my mom thinks that coming out of my room and doing chores will help me. I just think she wants me to do chores lmao.
I guess the problem here may be that I have my mind made and I know what I need, but they want me to listen to them and do as they say. That's hard for me xD.

Does this sound normal for a seventeen-year-old? My parents have made me think it's abnormal, even though I can see possible solutions/reasons...:bored:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Meh, I think it's normal. :) I'm lacking contact with the outside world a bit and something similar is happening to me. Like you said, you just need some stimulation to get back to normal; it's amazing what boredom/doing nothing can do to your psyche. No point in a counsellor, methinks - this is something you'll get over as you open up again. You sound like someone who needs a good deal of novelty and interesting experiences in their life, and I can relate, so don't worry too much. I think it's something most people go through at some point in time. :)

Just keep yourself occupied until college and good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah it is normal. It is just a lack of mental stimulation. I usually go through it one or two times a year since my job is not that mentally stimulating and the only way out of it is find something new to learn. I usually find some training to go to that helps me meet my five year plan for my job specialization.

Since I went straight from high school to college I do not have any advice on something for you to do until college starts.

Reactions: Vaka

·
Registered
523 Posts
I went through something like that; I was just really, really ready to get out of mom's house and live on my own and do stuff without getting nagged at all the time. Didn't need a therapist, I just needed to move out, and things have been much better since I did. I'm at university now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After doing some reading on Wikipedia for what it is worth, did you become bored after getting out of school from the lack of anything to do mentally? If so you might be now going through apathy and it brings out indifference and lack of passion, motivation and excitement. If it is apathy, it is more than likely from low skill and challenge in your life at this moment.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Well you're apparently horny right now, so you're still quite a healthy teenager.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
You sound very normal to me. When I was 17, I was totally inward, moody and depressed. One big emo episode. My peers around me bored me, I was mentally done with school. I knew I was going to kick ass in college (which I did). But I just felt like I wanted to move on and cut the strings. I think my Fi was really coming in then.

Also, I remember I did slash my wrists at 17. Prior to that, I was begging for a counselor to talk to. My mom didn't really believe in one.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh...
I forgot about this thread...
I went through something like that; I was just really, really ready to get out of mom's house and live on my own and do stuff without getting nagged at all the time. Didn't need a therapist, I just needed to move out, and things have been much better since I did. I'm at university now.
After doing some reading on Wikipedia for what it is worth, did you become bored after getting out of school from the lack of anything to do mentally? If so you might be now going through apathy and it brings out indifference and lack of passion, motivation and excitement. If it is apathy, it is more than likely from low skill and challenge in your life at this moment.
I don't think so. I can relate to Sybyll much more.

Well you're apparently horny right now, so you're still quite a healthy teenager.
I'm horny...You're right there...:wink::wink::wink:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Another thought...

Could it be that you are almost an adult and now want some separation from your parents that they don't see? In some ways it seems like you are rebelling that seems like a typical teenage thing. Could I suggest that you humor your mom and go see the counselor? It may seem stupid and pointless, but would it help to get another opinion that supports that in a sense?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
If your mom keeps asking & bugging you about it, just tell her this is who you are. There is nothing wrong with you; there is nothing anybody needs to fix.

Btw, I can totally relate...something very similar happened to me when I was 15/16.

Good thread, it is nice to relate. :happy:

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
This was age 16/17 for me, all the way. I was depressed and seriously apathetic about everything. then I moved, started college, and LIFE IS BRILLIANT AND BEAUTIFUL AGAIN AHHHHHH I LOVE THE WHOLE WORLD

My suggestion is just... go out there. Go to a bookstore and read for a while. Go to a coffee shop or restaurant and read for a while or just eat and chill. Go somewhere where you can be around people without having any obligation whatsoever to talk to them beyond "I'd like the Kid's Grilled Cheese with the little smiley face tater tots, yes, thank you." It worked so, so well for me. Just being around people without any stress or any "sweetie, I think you need to see a therapist" improved my mood and energy levels by about ten thousand percent.

and good luck with college. IT'S AWESOME, YOU'LL LOVE IT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts