Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This person I know is Ne dom for sure, extremely creative always with an explosion of ideas etc.
He seems somewhat logical and likes to understand the mechanics of things and how it works, but oftentimes doesn't like it when I'm too analytical about something.

He's funny, with a weird sense of humor.
He doesn't seem to know that many of the things he says would be considered very inappropriate (which makes it all the more funny).

However, he is not witty or sarcastic at all, and is very bad at coming up with comebacks (is this a stereotype or are ENTPs always witty?)
He always tries to manipulate the conversation to his advantage, or to make me say something he wants to hear (but it's painfully obvious and it's easy to pick him out on that).
He can be blunt as well, but tries not to be rude.
He has loads of friends and talks a lot.
He has many ideas for what he'll do in the future and the inventions he's going to make. Gadgets, mechanics and physics especially astrophysics is something he loves.

So does he seem like one of you guys, or more like an ENTP?

·
Registered
370 Posts
this person i know is ne dom for sure, extremely creative always with an explosion of ideas etc.
He seems somewhat logical and likes to understand the mechanics of things and how it works, but oftentimes doesn't like it when i'm too analytical about something.

He's funny, with a weird sense of humor.
He doesn't seem to know that many of the things he says would be considered very inappropriate (which makes it all the more funny).

However, he is not witty or sarcastic at all, and is very bad at coming up with comebacks (is this a stereotype or are entps always witty?)
he always tries to manipulate the conversation to his advantage, or to make me say something he wants to hear (but it's painfully obvious and it's easy to pick him out on that).
He can be blunt as well, but tries not to be rude.
He has loads of friends and talks a lot.
He has many ideas for what he'll do in the future and the inventions he's going to make. Gadgets, mechanics and physics especially astrophysics is something he loves.

So does he seem like one of you guys, or more like an entp?
entp

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But he doesn't like to debate that much and when he does his arguments aren't that logical either. Or is that also a stereotype? And he did a quiz (human metrics though, not very accurate, and got ENFP).
Or could his feelingness be due to a strong Fe?

·
Registered
707 Posts
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/91260-differences-between-enfp-entp.html

Well, since I respond well to flattery... I'll humor you. :wink:

The clearest way to tell the difference between the two is in looking at Ti vs. Fi. Both are big-idea people that have very little patience with doing things just because they've always been done a certain way. The difference is, ENTPs tend to internalize the logic of a given system; so, we accept and reject the importance of ideas based on how accurate and logically consistent they are, according to the logical principles chosen by the ENTP in question. ENFPs have the same process, but they evaluate things based on how they fit in with the ethical framework chosen by the ENFP in question.

ENTP: "I don't like this idea; I won't go along with it, because it violates X, Y, Z logical rules"
ENFP: "I don't like this idea; I won't go along with it, because it violates X, Y, Z ethical rules"

Now, either type can like logical consistency or ethics, but the difference is, ENTPs primarily process things with their inner logical framework, and ethics play a much smaller role in whether they accept or reject a given idea. ENFPs, on the other hand, primarily process things with their inner value system (which may or may not line up with everyone else's), and reject or accept ideas based on how they line up with said value system; the logic of it plays less of a part in whether or not the ENFP would consider it a good idea.

The tertiary function in ENTPs (I'm just going to explain tertary Fe, since I'm less familiar with how tertiary Te manifests itself in ENFPs) basically translates into an awareness of how their statements and ideas will affect other people, in an emotional sense. So, this can translate into heightened emotional sensitivity and/or heightened manipulative skills (generally, the latter develop before the former). It also leads to a tendency for ENTPs to like provoking reactions in others, and we sometimes come off as a bit narcissistic.

So, to summarize, with an ENTP, you have someone who's analytical, incisive, and becomes more socially aware and charming as they grow older. With an ENFP, you have someone who's value-oriented, personally convicted, and becomes more pragmatic and clear-minded as they grow older.

Oh, you seriously underestimated how much people like typing others around here (myself included)...

·
Registered
33 Posts
He sounds like an ENTP to me, too. A lot of the time the auxiliary and the tertiary will confuse people, and they'll veer towards what they see most (the extraverted function). That's Ne Fe for ENTPs, and Ne Te for ENFPs. I was caught between the two types for the longest time because of the stereotypes, too. You'll be surprised to find that many ENFPs are very fond of debates and logic, myself included! A good debate gets my blood pumping--it makes me use my Ne to come up with possible angles and my Te to formulate a logical, fact driven argument.

On the other hand, while Aux Ti makes ENTPs rational, it's introverted so it'll take them longer to speak up about their logic, and because it's formed through their own frame system of logic, it might sound...wonky. Just like how Fi has a hard time explaining the emotions they feel strongly, Ti can struggle with coming up with a straightforward, to-the-point remark. I know an older male ENTP, and while he can be quite funny and sarcastic, he stays out of most debates, while his INFP son and I jump right in.

Fe as a tertiary isn't as developed as their top two functions, so it's immature. If you read up on how Tertiary Fe works, you'll find that often in less developed states, it's used to manipulate others, and isn't as aware of social appropriateness as Dom/Aux Fe users. But Fe is still Fe--and tries not to offend others.(Edit: Drat, got ninja'd! But the quoted post above was what I was referring to, actually!)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes doesn't sound like an ENFP to me, especially the part you wrote "tries not to be rude" I think, generalizing though, Ts are more insensitive/blunt.

It could be that with ENxPs we often mistype as thinkers and vice versa. Or so they stated on this website. It had to do with us feelers thinking so much that we mistype ourselves as thinkers and the other way round.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts