Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
K, l'm posting right now to say l haven't read it yet but am anticipating momentously eyeroll worthy ''introvert'' signs:

Will update post after reading to report my summary of eyeroll findings (or lack thereof) to you :kitteh:

update: eyeroll factor 18/23.

(18 signs non eyeroll worthy).
78%

Pass.

math blunder :3

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
9) When you get on the subway, you sit at the end of the bench -– not in the middle.
14) You screen all your calls -- even from friends.
15) You notice details that others don't.
21) You’ve been told to “come out of your shell.”

I could be an introvert.
Or an over-vigilant type 6. Whichever comes first.

Reactions: Doc Dangerstein

·
Registered
924 Posts
A lot of these are crossing categories with other MBTI dimensions (such as several items that were actually describing the S/N dimension and not the I/E dimension) so...

Hmm.

Anyway, I'm like a hundred percent introvert so nothing new here.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
1. You find small talk incredibly cumbersome.

Yes, I understand that we've already exchanged pleasantries and said hello. Can we please have the conversation now?

2. You go to parties -– but not to meet people.

Depends who's there to meet. I end up meeting somebody but whether I give them my attention, that's different. Oh, and if my friends are there of course I'm going to hang out with them. At least for a little bit.

3. You often feel alone in a crowd.

Sure. If I'm not feeling the crowd.

4. Networking makes you feel like a phony.

Try bored. And, if you're talking to me for the purpose of networking make sure you have something to offer. Usually I can't be bothered to make an effort; I should but I've become way too unmotivated in the last two years. Sucks.

5. You've been called "too intense."

... and is that a bad thing? I've been told I think too much. Why must it always be Neitzsche? How about Socrates, Russell or Aristotle who were believed to be extroverts?

6. You're easily distracted.

Only if there's something cool. Might be nuclear war outside and if I happen to survive I might not even notice until it's blatantly pointed out to me. But I can sniff out anything interesting even if I'm engulfed in a book.

8. Giving a talk in front of 500 people is less stressful than having to mingle with those people afterwards.

Yes; I used to play piano recitals where I really enjoyed having a conversation with the audience. Sometimes I would stand in the lobby talking to people before and after playing and would go for coffee during intermission. I don't perform because I just can't bear to spend the time alone to practice.

9. When you get on the subway, you sit at the end of the bench -– not in the middle.

Because looking out the window is cool.

14. You screen all your calls -- even from friends.

Sometimes people are just cumbersome. Correction, monothematic people are cumbersome.

16. You have a constantly running inner monologue.

Now if I were to say that I engage in dialectic with myself, would that imply that I'm crazy or an extrovert because it's a conversation with multiple instances of me.

18. You’ve been called an “old soul” -– since your 20s.

My age is best related by the concept of Schrodinger's cat. My sister believes me to be the perpetual teenager; maybe in her eyes listening to music and reading books is something teenagers do. But she's a professional woman now and therefore considers these activities a manifestation of a frivolous youth. When I was 15 people thought they were talking to a 40 year old.

19. You don't feel "high" from your surroundings

Nope. The cloud of marijuana smoke is to the right of me. And I don't particularly feel the need to partake my evolutionary heritage and jump around like an idiot. So, who brought what monkey into the gene pool?

20. You look at the big picture.

Try intuitive.

Should I be changing my "E" to "I"? Nah, I felt like crap until I slipped out for coffee and talked to someone over facebook before coming to PerC.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Key word is "signs," not that any one or combination of a few would be definite toward anything. Some of them might not even qualify to be called signs. Who would actually want to be in the middle seat? Extraverts have no less need to stretch and move around and look out the window, I assure you.

I fit maybe about a third of these. Some of these seem valid towards something though.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I identify with 11/23 of these and I'm a definite extravert.

·
Registered
873 Posts
To all the extroverts here matching introvert traits to themselves: This only applies on Keirsley theory.

Cognitive functions theory does not see introversion and extroversion as independent traits, but a part of your MBTI, showing if your first function is extroverted or introverted. Function theory states that your amount of social interaction is NOT dependent on whatever you're an E or I, these two only show what is your preferrence for social interaction. One prefers to keep in touch with plenty of acquintances, the other prefers to stay with a couple of best friends.

The cognitive theory sees introversion and extroversion as nothing more than that, no extra labels with adjectives pointing that "oh gee, that dude who didn't say anything all day is soooo totally an introvert" or "oh gee, that girl was dancing all night like a champ. What an extrovert. Only an extrovert could muster the energy to dance all night long".

For example, it all applies to all your letters, like how you can't say to a xxxJ that "lol why is your room such a mess, i thought you're always in order". You also can't presume that a sensor is incapable to come up with intuitive ideas, or that an intuitive is incapable to enjoy the here and now. You also can't presume that all scientists must be thinking types, or that all the artists and poets are feeling types. So why would you presume any assumptions on Introversion and Extroversion alone, stripped off from the rest of the letters?

As OMG WTF BRO already stated, let me explain in terms of math :tongue:

The amount of social interaction =/= The amount of people
Introvert =/= Quiet loner
Extrovert =/= Loud and obnoxious
Introvert = The attitude of your first function is Introverted
Extrovert = The attitude of your first function is Extroverted

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Take a look at this article:
23 Signs You're Secretly An Introvert
what do you think of it? Feel free to discuss.
Go!
o.o those are all true minus two things (21/23):

19. You don't feel "high" from your surroundings
11. You're in a relationship with an extrovert. (my girlfriends were all introverts, real ones, the bookworm kind)

I'm also not HSP and its difficult for me to get overwhelmed by stimulation. In every other way Introversion fits me. I can enter a fun conversation with a small group of ppl and I will gain energy from this, interacting with the enviroment gives me energy, a concert will just continuously increase my energy, while sitting at home alone makes me depressed...yet I do not crave small talk or socializing on a superficial level since I find both of those boring and thus draining.

So what am I introvert or extrovert? I'm also very cautious, think before I act, overthink, constant inner dialogue, reclusive. low dopamine drive meaning I'm not inclined to take risks etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm over my social anxieties and I haven't become more outgoing or gregoratious. Total external chaos of a higly critical & loud situation gives me an immense surge of energy thou.

According to Big5 & Keirsey: I'm introverted.
According to MBTI/Socionics: Extroverted.

^^; reclusive extrovert lol.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
I saw a couple of my friends post this on facebook. I feel like some of these aren't dead-pointers to if you're an introvert or not(in the jungian sense). Some of them are more towards feeling vs. thinking....some are more judger vs. perceiver in my opinion.

I also posted this on my wall and said that I seem like an introvert because I am shy and may even have social anxiety and that I relate to some of the points.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
To all the extroverts here matching introvert traits to themselves: This only applies on Keirsley theory.

Cognitive functions theory does not see introversion and extroversion as independent traits, but a part of your MBTI, showing if your first function is extroverted or introverted. Function theory states that your amount of social interaction is NOT dependent on whatever you're an E or I, these two only show what is your preferrence for social interaction. One prefers to keep in touch with plenty of acquintances, the other prefers to stay with a couple of best friends.

The cognitive theory sees introversion and extroversion as nothing more than that, no extra labels with adjectives pointing that "oh gee, that dude who didn't say anything all day is soooo totally an introvert" or "oh gee, that girl was dancing all night like a champ. What an extrovert. Only an extrovert could muster the energy to dance all night long".

For example, it all applies to all your letters, like how you can't say to a xxxJ that "lol why is your room such a mess, i thought you're always in order". You also can't presume that a sensor is incapable to come up with intuitive ideas, or that an intuitive is incapable to enjoy the here and now. You also can't presume that all scientists must be thinking types, or that all the artists and poets are feeling types. So why would you presume any assumptions on Introversion and Extroversion alone, stripped off from the rest of the letters?

As OMG WTF BRO already stated, let me explain in terms of math :tongue:

The amount of social interaction =/= The amount of people
Introvert =/= Quiet loner
Extrovert =/= Loud and obnoxious
Introvert = The attitude of your first function is Introverted
Extrovert = The attitude of your first function is Extroverted
Do you mean Keirsey's theory? Cognitive I/E and common conceptions of I/E need not be universes apart, even if they may not always be the same.

Just because someone does not relate to any of the 23 introverted traits doesn't make them loud and obnoxious, and relating to all 23 does not make a quiet loner.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Do you mean Keirsey's theory? Cognitive I/E and common conceptions of I/E need not be universes apart, even if they may not always be the same.

Just because someone does not relate to any of the 23 introverted traits doesn't make them loud and obnoxious, and relating to all 23 does not make a quiet loner.
A good statement... Yeah, it's Keirsey. For sole believers of Keirsey, it's cool to write an article like that.

Yet still, there are really not many traits, definitely not 23, that all the MBTI types of introverts commonly share. It's very hard to state things like "introverts spend more time on the computer", when plenty of extroverts spend even more time on the computer, but for communicating with people, playing online games or extroverted-sensing-oriented games like Call of Duty, Crysis, Battlefield etc. instead.

There is no "typical non-descript introvert/extrovert" stereotype, just as you can't describe "that dude never cleans up after himself" as perceiver and "That girl works as a masseuse" as sensor, and you can't tell someone being a thinker solely because they're good at math, because obviously all feelers suck at math etc. etc. etc.

Describing people, using psychological terms to assign non-descript stereotypes is definitely not very helpful. From the viewpoint of cognitive functions MBTI, dividing people as introverts or extroverts is exactly like that.

That is almost as saying "All canadians are very generous, and americans are living up to american dream, thus very happy with their lives." It's misleading and certainly not giving any useful information, as very large groups of people that only have the environment in common cannot possess the same non-descript personality, unless the group is lead by Hitler. Dividing introverts and extroverts in more categories is something that avoids misleading people, giving them actually interesting read that does not (in)voluntarily lead them to believe that the stereotypical introvert is INTJ and stereotypical extrovert is ESFP.

Reactions: electricky
1 - 13 of 13 Posts