Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy who was drinking falls into a rage when someone tells him something that pisses him off, and he shoots that person because they fight, and there are firearms nearby.

He undergoes a traumatic reaction to what he did, and he undergoes a genuine conversion to Islam, or a Christian or secular equivalent.

He totally reforms and becomes one of those charismatic prison guys featured in documentaries that works out all the time and teaches at-risk youth after he gets out, is the point.

He eventually becomes the founder and director of a mid-size charitable organization.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
If in my case it was a woman and I felt that tin the present they were okay, they like anyone else could be considered.
I generally go with impressions from the person I'm seeing rather than who they were considering people do indeed change and I would be dealing with a person in the present not in the past.

Whether I would have a visceral inhibition to attraction towards them I don't know.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sure. Sounds like they need a bit of anger management and to quit drinking but it hardly sounds calculating... If they had planned it, then not a chance because there is something going on up there that is not right... I don't think any kind of reform could sort that one out (padded cell maybe?). Although given the amount of prisoners I visit, I have never met a "charismatic prison guy"... maybe I'm visiting the wrong prisons!

To be honest, I wouldn't be going out of my way to date a murderer... "mmm gotta get me a bit of killer in me" is not my wave length unfortunately, but if I met them and got to know them and they told me about it, it wouldn't change the way I thought of them.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
No. Of course they can genuinely change but based on my personal experience people who have any kind of a problem are often excellent at pretending to have changed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The difference between psychopaths and normal people is psychos are stupid enough to get caught. :kitteh:

Eh, sure. How would you know anyway? For all I know my colleague could be a 'reformed murderer' and I still attended his barbeque outing.

Reactions: Sygma

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You state conversion to a religion like that is a good thing. To me, I'd prefer it if they didn't waste their time on that stuff.

And also, no. A person who murders people when enraged is too dangerous to be around. I would, however, have no problem dating someone who went about killing criminals. They deserve it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are we talking the exact scenario above or any scenario? if it's the one above, no. That kind of person wouldn't attract me in the first place, even less so after crime.

I will go with the none-descriptive answer of "it depends". Depending on reason for murder, if the person is willing and capable of change, if the person is someone i can live with despite being unable to change, the condition of the victim (if the victim was a complete shithead of a human being I won't really hold it against the murderer) and so on and so forth.

In the end, I don't think i'll know for sure until I get into the situation where I actually have to make that choice.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
To be honest, my answer is I don't know. How well do we know ourselves, really?
Is it possible to know how we will react in a certain situation if we have never been in that situation ourselves? We can only predict how we will react when that situation happens to us, but when the situation really happens, we might end up reacting in an entirely different way.

For example, we can say no we will never date a ex-murderer, but when the time really comes, and we really fall for an ex-murderer, who knows what our reaction will be, we might be so blinded by our emotions that we actually forgot the fact that they are an ex-murderer.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I would just like to say that I might date an unreformed murderer. It would depend on why they murdered.
I agree. I couldn't date a phony.

You state conversion to a religion like that is a good thing. To me, I'd prefer it if they didn't waste their time on that stuff.
I know, right? To me that's even more objectionable than murderer.

Reactions: Ninjaws

·
Registered
680 Posts
I wouldn't want to date a charismatic guy who works out and teaches at-risk youth period. The fact that he murdered someone just makes things worse. I could date someone who murdered someone depending on why they did it, but not for the reasons stated.

·
Sunset Stripper
9,798 Posts
um I don't know. Everyone does have the capability to be cruel and kill another person, (so we'd all eventually date potential murderers) but I don't think I could with someone who DID it, the paranoia would consume me. I know a moment of insanity is a thing, so, eh, I don't maybe depends on how charismatic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts