Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you drift apart from your friends if it was meant for their happiness?

I actually can. One of my best friends, let me just nickname him ,''D.''.... I remember the time when he drove me all the way from London..I remember the times when he called me using his work cellphone.. I love him with all my heart, he is one of the select few I can never forget.

He's also now engaged to the woman of his dreams. And we're going different directions in our lives.

So yes I drift apart from him because I feel that the both of us will grow apart.. However I am thankful in my life that I ever knew someone like him :) (So thankful that a post won't do enough testimony to it)

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Of course. I let go of people I respect a lot, because I don't think I am going to be a good influence on them. Sometimes I don't explain why that is, but sometimes I think it's better off if I just disappeared rather than dragged it out. I don't hate these people at all, I just think they'd be better off without me in their life.
People are often just there for certain times in your life and then you have to go your separate ways... they're always a part of you though... I tend to remember most people I meet. You just walk for a while together, and separate when it comes to a cross roads.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I suppose I've left a lot of old friends behind, usually when I have changed locations, but I never stop thinking about them, even when I'm not in contact with them.

As I get older, I value friendships more than I used to, because I realize just how hard it is to find good friends. I regret losing touch with most of the ones I've abandoned.

It was never really for their good, no matter how I may try to rationalize a few of the times when I've left people unexpectedly.

And I suppose karma has its revenge in the end. It sure sucks to be the one who is thrown away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's funny, these last few weeks I've been asking myself the opposite question: Could I keep someone close to me for their happiness (and how might that effect mine?)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Things change and people change. People I thought I would always have in my life are now gone. I was really close to my college roommate at one point and then we got to a time where we hadn't spoken for years. I was moving forward in life while he was just kind of stuck at the same place for awhile. He looked me up one day a few months ago and said he would call after emailing me that he got his life on track, and that never happened and I still haven't heard since.

I had considered reaching out lately since it seems like we both might be at similar points again, but I really don't have time for people who don't keep their commitments to me to even call or just text message saying he was sorry he forgot or something, especially considering how much I helped him through in the past. I'm definitely happy for him that he started taking some responsibility but we're in different states with different lives. I see no reason to try to keep forcing a friendship just for the sake of keeping in touch. I gained new friends to fill the role he had a few years ago, and now I think soon there will be a time when I find myself in a whole new place and will replace those people with even more new people.

In fact, there is only one friend I've kept in contact for more than a few years who I've known since middle school. Everyone else that I know I met within the past 3-4 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts