Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my attempt to being more alluring toward INTP's, I was given the advice to be “Brilliant, amusing, enthralling and non-threatening”. What does one look like when they exhibit one or all of these traits? Or if you disagree with this list as being accurately representative of yourself, then what are the traits you look for in a person that could indicate a potential future friendship? I realize INTP's are known for their abilities to stay inside and away form many public encounters, but if by chance you were outside, why would you bother approaching someone, besides for obvious unavoidable reasons?

Thanks for those of you who've taken the time to post!

-Wolves273

·
Registered
593 Posts
In my attempt to being more alluring toward INTP's, I was given the advice to be “Brilliant, amusing, enthralling and non-threatening”. What does one look like when they exhibit one or all of these traits? Or if you disagree with this list as being accurately representative of yourself, then what are the traits you look for in a person that could indicate a potential future friendship? I realize INTP's are known for their abilities to stay inside and away form many public encounters, but if by chance you were outside, why would you bother approaching someone, besides for obvious unavoidable reasons?

Thanks for those of you who've taken the time to post!

-Wolves273
Do cool shit, discuss ideas, have patience, don't try to judge personally too quickly or control them.
ALSO, make the first move to show you're interested in talking with them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't think that I would approach someone while I'm alone.
I usually meet people when my old friends introduce me to them or I'm forced to work with them.

The hermit thing does apply to me, simply cause I feel no need to go out and meet new people in real life.
The frequency of me leaving home for social reasons is about once every 2 months. Every time I go I feel like I wasted time though.

When it comes to being more alluring towards INTPs I would suggest authenticity.
Don't try hard to impress. When people do that I can tell and it makes me cringe.

Just be as authentic and honest as possible. Do exactly what you want to do. Say exactly what you want to say. Act exactly how you want to act. Trying to greatly alter your behavior will just end in disaster. Especially if you're looking for long term stuff.

It might sound cliche but the absolute best thing you can do is be yourself. There is nothing more important to most INTPs that the truth. If you alter the truth of who you are in any way the INTP is bound to find out eventually, we have a knack for that stuff.

The best way to come in contact with an INTP is by talking about something the INTP is interested in. Just be sure that you genuinely care for that topic. Sharing a hobby is great as well. Lot of INTPs enjoy video games so that can be a great place to start. What I'm essentially suggesting is that you bond with the INTP through an activity they enjoy. Avoid small talk. Most INTPs aren't very good at it even if they genuinely try. Good luck I guess!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
In my attempt to being more alluring toward INTP's
Is there a particular intp you are trying to attract? Or do you simply find yourself inexplicably drawn to our socially awkward charm?

I was given the advice to be “Brilliant, amusing, enthralling and non-threatening”.
Somehow, this kind of made me think of a puppy trying to win a dog show. It's just not going to work but it's going to be really fun and adorable to watch. I would honestly love to just sit across from you and watch you try really hard to be brilliant. Of course I'm not saying that you, or infps aren't or can't be any of these things, but it just sounds funny to actively try to do any one specific thing to try to get close to someone. Just be yourself and be sure to pester the other person until they figure out you like them, or hit them over the head. Either way, be yourself, just make yourself known.

Personally, I don't want my partner to be brilliant. I suppose the rest are true...... but they are more of who you are not what you do. I will know within a couple seconds whether or not you are these things. It's not hard to tell but it is impossible for you to fake it or adopt it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a particular intp you are trying to attract? Or do you simply find yourself inexplicably drawn to our socially awkward charm?

Somehow, this kind of made me think of a puppy trying to win a dog show. It's just not going to work but it's going to be really fun and adorable to watch. I would honestly love to just sit across from you and watch you try really hard to be brilliant. Of course I'm not saying that you, or infps aren't or can't be any of these things, but it just sounds funny to actively try to do any one specific thing to try to get close to someone. Just be yourself and be sure to pester the other person until they figure out you like them, or hit them over the head. Either way, be yourself, just make yourself known.

Personally, I don't want my partner to be brilliant. I suppose the rest are true...... but they are more of who you are not what you do. I will know within a couple seconds whether or not you are these things. It's not hard to tell but it is impossible for you to fake it or adopt it.
In responce to your first question(part a): Not exactly. (Part B) I do very much enjoy the socially awkwardness of INTP's, it's not unlike my own socially awkwardness haha.

For the second part: I'm all of those things and none of those things at the same time. Depends on who my audience is, although I feel I'm at least moderately interesting in regards to the only INTP I've gotten to know(not in person).

I'm not really good at nor do I even enjoy not being myself, honestly. As stereotypical as it may sound, authenticity isn't something I can ignore, because doing so causes a lot of problems in all area's of my life. So, I've learned to just be myself, maybe be a little more talkative than usually, but that's more due to seeking growth than it is to try to reel others to me.

I would however love to watch you watch me actually be brilliant ; ). Perhaps you wouldn't be impressed or perhaps you would; really what is most fun is just seeing how ridiculous we would both be watching and noting each others behaviors, comments, and ideas. I'm really not good at noticing INTP's yet, but hopefully with practice it'll become more instinct-like than requiring great amounts of effort.

Thank you for your comment.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I would however love to watch you watch me actually be brilliant ; ).
I would love to watch you watch me watch you be brilliant.
Wait........ :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder how real people get dates. "Hey girl, can I watch you be brilliant sometime?"
Am I doing this right?? :frustrating:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think that I would approach someone while I'm alone.
I usually meet people when my old friends introduce me to them or I'm forced to work with them.

The hermit thing does apply to me, simply cause I feel no need to go out and meet new people in real life.
The frequency of me leaving home for social reasons is about once every 2 months. Every time I go I feel like I wasted time though.

When it comes to being more alluring towards INTPs I would suggest authenticity.
Don't try hard to impress. When people do that I can tell and it makes me cringe.

Just be as authentic and honest as possible. Do exactly what you want to do. Say exactly what you want to say. Act exactly how you want to act. Trying to greatly alter your behavior will just end in disaster. Especially if you're looking for long term stuff.

It might sound cliche but the absolute best thing you can do is be yourself. There is nothing more important to most INTPs that the truth. If you alter the truth of who you are in any way the INTP is bound to find out eventually, we have a knack for that stuff.

The best way to come in contact with an INTP is by talking about something the INTP is interested in. Just be sure that you genuinely care for that topic. Sharing a hobby is great as well. Lot of INTPs enjoy video games so that can be a great place to start. What I'm essentially suggesting is that you bond with the INTP through an activity they enjoy. Avoid small talk. Most INTPs aren't very good at it even if they genuinely try. Good luck I guess!

All of your advice is great. I actually don't enjoy small talk and suck at it as well, so perhaps taking a different route and diving more toward deeper questions would be best. I don't see authenticity being an issue with me, although I'll have to work on taking the initiative to seek out INTP's. Unfortunately I don't game(much) any more so I would be little use there, unless we were to maybe get together and game every so often. Or perhaps, I could discuss the games I have played and use it as possible common ground during a conversation. I'm pretty similar as not going out often unless I have a purpose, as in to college, hang out with a friend, or something related.

Thank you for the reply, this sounds like something I shouldn't have too much trouble doing, now it's up to how well myself and the INTP in question, mix.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to watch you watch me watch you be brilliant.
Wait........ :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder how real people get dates. "Hey girl, can I watch you be brilliant sometime?"
Am I doing this right?? :frustrating:

Lol yea. I think our problem would be trying to analysis to much(well I can definitely speak for myself in this). I've been told to stop over analyzing, so maybe I'll start trying that and it'll help things haha.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do cool shit, discuss ideas, have patience, don't try to judge personally too quickly or control them.
ALSO, make the first move to show you're interested in talking with them.

What would be a topic that would interest you and would be usefully to try approaching you with. I say yourself specifically, so that I can take the topics you suggest and recreate my own based off the type of questions that would appeal to you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
What would be a topic that would interest you and would be usefully to try approaching you with. I say yourself specifically, so that I can take the topics you suggest and recreate my own based off the type of questions that would appeal to you.
That's exceedingly subjective. See what they're interested in, strike up a conversation about it. Definitely ask them their thoughts.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's exceedingly subjective. See what they're interested in, strike up a conversation about it. Definitely ask them their thoughts.
It can be subjective, but I'll know a general depth level to start out with. It's usually a working strategy, but if you think it'd be better for me to just approach one with no preconceived ideas then I'll do that then.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It can be subjective, but I'll know a general depth level to start out with. It's usually a working strategy, but if you think it'd be better for me to just approach one with no preconceived ideas then I'll do that then.
No, you really won't.
You can't just go to an INTP and assume their intelligence level. That would end in failure. Don't be afraid to ask big questions when musing with the INTP and just try to start a general chat based off their interests.

Fuck it, don't be afraid at all. Be yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts