Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you imagine an INFP in any circumstance being good with strangers, and comfortable with attention?

For example, some female INFPs i've met have been absolutely hilarious- they tend to become quiet in a large group, but with 2-4 people they can be hilarious, like seriously. i've often had that rapport where we're cracking each other up and no-one else can keep up with our conversation with INFPs. It's said that comedians often become funny as a bit of a defense mechanism, could you imagine an INFP becoming a comedian? plenty of INTPs are comedians, at least in the UK with our unique appreciation of humour.

In my experience, taking a little while to warm up to strangers is intrinsically INFP, at least by ENFP standards, but how outgoing do you think an INFP could possibly be?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Often I am more comfortable talking with strangers than with acquaintances. I do not know why. I like to joke around with people too, it is fun to make them laugh. Talking with strangers a lot is also part of my job, so I probably grew into it too.

I am a moderate introvert. Nobody who knows me well would guess me to be an E, but I could fool people in certain situations who have only met me a few times.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I much prefer strangers. Acquaintances know me and often I have compromised some part of myself to maintain harmony in the relationship with them (think work relationships), so they actually keep me on edge and I have to watch what I say and be the most hateful of all things: nice.

Strangers are a blank slate - they don't know me and I don't know them and I can work with that all day. It's like building playdoh rapport. I also don't have a problem with attention, as long as I'm not surrounded by people who know otherwise. I can pretend to be something I'm not as long as I'm not disturbed by reality while doing so. People that know me are just a nuisance ;o

This shouldn't suggest I actually enjoy any of it. Most people are a chore, as arrogant as that may sound, and I'm certain I'm just as difficult to have "meaningful" connection with from their perspective. Regular superficial intercourse leaves me feeling like a blank mirror, but many others seem to thrive on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I much prefer strangers. Acquaintances know me and often I have compromised some part of myself to maintain harmony in the relationship with them (think work relationships), so they actually keep me on edge and I have to watch what I say and be the most hateful of all things: nice.

Strangers are a blank slate - they don't know me and I don't know them and I can work with that all day. It's like building playdoh rapport. I also don't have a problem with attention, as long as I'm not surrounded by people who know otherwise. I can pretend to be something I'm not as long as I'm not disturbed by reality while doing so. People that know me are just a nuisance ;o

This shouldn't suggest I actually enjoy any of it. Most people are a chore, as arrogant as that may sound, and I'm certain I'm just as difficult to have "meaningful" connection with from their perspective. Regular superficial intercourse leaves me feeling like a blank mirror, but many others seem to thrive on it.
Love your screen name, are you a Battlestar Galactica fan, too? ^_^

I relate to enjoying the relative anonymity with strangers. They have no preconceived ideas about me, and it is easy to start from scratch. Sometimes I am in a mood where I want to be social, and other times I just want to hide by myself!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have an INFP friend who is great talking with 2-4 persons. She is an enthusiastic storyteller and very adorable. I think she has a great personality and people naturally warm up to her- so for that, she is quite outgoing, and we crack each other up a lot. I at first thought she was an extrovert given that she can be quite talkative at times, but I was wrong. When I first met her (we were both strangers), we quickly opened up to each other. It was one of those fast yet deep connections. She told me her life story, and vice versa, in 2 days or so (note that we spend after school together at this tutoring place), and we became close friends in a month. I think she's adapted well to the mostly extroverted world/family she has.

To answer your question: I'm not sure if any INFP likes attention from public, even strangers, so being a comedian can take some energy and confidence.

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
I've been pretty outgoing but only to a few people at a time. I can still see an introvert doing stand up because the crowd isn't really talking back. You just make jokes and they laugh. The number of people doesn't really matter if they're an audience.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I prefer extroverting in smaller groups of 2 to 5 versus much above that.... You will likely see me retreat into my shell in a group of 8+ people... possibly even if those eight individual people are all my best friends and I know them all well. I may still retreat if there are too many people...

I suspect this happens because I have a natural tendency to absorb and gauge the "emotional thermostat" of each person in my vicinity. When the number goes above 5 people, that is a lot of people to read and keep track of... it leaves me with less room to extrovert or output anything... my system is too busy processing what is going on around me! System overload! This is my reasoning. In a smaller group, I can keep track of what's going on around me and still have enough "memory" to interact/output.

The more people included in the group that are unfamiliar to me, the less likely I'll be "social/vocal/extroverting". I suspect this is because it requires more energy to "learn" the new person, and so I'm dedicating more energy to that (mostly through observation). I'm less likely to share an opinion, thought, or idea if I'm unsure of how it might be interpreted. I like to get a sense of people before I begin to share.

(Oh yeah, and, it helps to have ENF's around in social settings! I find they help to really coax me out of my shell. :) But in general, really just any 'type' who makes me feel comfortable, included, or a part of the group can encourage my social side)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I can at times, though I tend to just be the insanely quiet person in the back of the room or something. I try to avoid human interaction as much as possible. Most of the time, where strangers are concerned, it's like "hey, your _____ is ______". Like I was at Target and something was falling from this guy's cart. I've been on the bus with my best friend and she started talking to some dude about his dog, and talking about her time working at a vet's office. That I've done maybe twice.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
As outgoing as anyone else, just depends on the person. Being INFP doesn't mean you're incapable of being happy and outgoing and able to talk to people.

Preferring small groups is a bit unrelated. I prefer small groups because then I can know people personally, and I love personal interactions. So much richer for me.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
This is definitely something I used to be very nervous about, but I can honestly say that I'm much better at it now. It helps if I don't have to approach them in a very conspicuous way.

It also helps if theyre nice! I realised, at one point, that really nice people seem to like me.

It also helps if theyre not brainwashed and know how to think a little bit : )

·
Registered
771 Posts
I used to be extremely shy when having to do that... but over time I've gotten much more confident (while it's still hard for me)
In some years I might be able to do it with no problems, I don't know...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm very good at talking to strangers. It's what I do for a living being in PR and promotions.
I don't really know why I'm good at it, I just seem to be.

Also am one to prefer small groups, and that's a combination of what you guys have already been saying. Can definitely relate to system overload and wanting a chance to make deeper connections.

I survive parties by talking to one person at a time. If they go somewhere to get a drink or whatever, I move on to the next person. I've often turned up to parties without knowing anyone but the host and haven't felt weird about it.

As for the comedian thing, I don't think I'm funny at all. I just do awkward things and make fun of myself. I also find knock-knock jokes funny so I doubt I could ever go places with comedy.

Agree that intoxication increases extroversion. And how!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I find it easier to be honest. Like a previous poster mentioned its like having a clean slate and there is no history or anything to interfere in their thinking about me.

While I detest the superficial I can tolerate it to some extent, and in a bigger party environment I would be the one sipping a drink in the corner while carefully letting the alcohol take effect and then unleash the inner eye of the tiger on the dance floor. :crazy::laughing:

Alone I can get a little uncomfortable. Having an ENFJ friend around helps loads or so I've felt in the past. Still while I would prefer a smaller setting that doesn't mean I can't function in a larger one and I can handle it to some extent. As long as I'm in control of my empathy and I do not let it absorb too much I can do well.

I think that's where a little alcohol sets me at ease. It breaks down the personal walls I keep up while simultaneously inverting my focus to myself and less on the processing of other information and helps me be a lot more extroverted.

As for the comedian thing, I don't think I'm funny at all. I just do awkward things and make fun of myself. I also find knock-knock jokes funny so I doubt I could ever go places with comedy.
But knock knock jokes are funny. :unsure:

Knock Knock ...

Reactions: refugee
1 - 20 of 32 Posts