Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a young boy, my grandfather owned a m16a2. Upon his passing, it was donated to swat. I'm making good money now a days and want to track it down via serial numbers and buy it back. It would easily be the cost of the firearm plus 200$ stamp fee for registering it. Would you or wouldn't you? May take it to an outdoor range 2-3 times year.

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
personally, i wouldn't do it, but then i'm not very sentimental about stuff and i think guns are too dangerous to be used as toys. i mean if you were training to use it against an enemy, sure. you would be brave and fearless in my eyes, but just to fire it for the fun of it? what if it backfires and blows your arm off or something? for what? shits and giggles? to say, i shot a gun? if any preparedness is involved i'd say go for it, otherwise, no.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I was a young boy, my grandfather owned a m16a2. Upon his passing, it was donated to swat. I'm making good money now a days and want to track it down via serial numbers and buy it back. It would easily be the cost of the firearm plus 200$ stamp fee for registering it. Would you or wouldn't you? May take it to an outdoor range 2-3 times year.
I'm not talking for you. Just what I think I would do.

I would let go of the gun, why, well not because of opposing guns or anything, but because of a simple reason that finding the material representative of your memories in a different context really dilutes the fondness of memory and the material. I would rather have just the memory of ol' granpa and his gun rather than to have the gun without grandpa. Would serve me better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A rifle is merely a tool (I should know I operated the A2 and A4 and it's successor the M4). There now that I got it out let's get serious: The Problem is the M16A2 is an Automatic weapon. Possibly illegal to possess if you do not have the right credentials.

Here is what I know about the Gun laws and Fully Automatic guns in regards to a M16A2:

First, the M16A2 shoots single to 3 round burst max based on where the selector switch is.

The star chamber is a pain to clean.

These guns can cost upwards of $20,000, require a boatload of paperwork and a thorough investigation by the ATF, and a pristine record. If I recall, you can't even have a speeding ticket or certain documents of intense anger.

Any gun for sale must have been manufactured before 1986 and must be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records database. There are less than 500,000 full-auto weapons (more than one bullet per shot) in circulation as opposed to the millions of semi-auto rifles (one bullet per shot)

So unless you have Trump or Gates sized fortune, with a lot of time to file the paperwork and for the ATF to eventually complete their investigation, and no blemishes on your record, it is a lost cause. But don't get me wrong, I miss qualifying at the range with my M4 2 times a year in the service. It's just not worth the paperwork.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
There isnt much of a point in jumping through all the hoops to get one automatic and then to shoot it 2-3 times a year when a semi-automatic version of basically the same gun is much easier to obtain. Unless you run a gun store or something, I would recommend spending your money on something else. Get an AR-15 like everyone else, tap the trigger real quick and youll be just as inaccurate as with an automatic ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts