Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spoiler alert perhaps!!?!?1?

It's not as clever a plot as I expected, but I thoroughly enjoyed INCEPTION.

I have a fasincation with the concept of "simulacrum"-isms, dreams, and philosophy of the mind (and as a neuroscience major, the psychology of it of course :D) for some time now.

Among other things, the notion of dreams within dreams, and inceptions, really spoke to me.

The ideas, of once you enter the world of "dreams", you'll never want to return to 'reality' again, creating dreams and the fragility of ideals, and the blurred lines between reality and the dream state, really summed up my whole life experience.

Did anybody else get something out of this film?

4,757 Posts
I can't wait to see Inception! I guess I'm registering my general interest in this thread even though I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole until I see the movie early next week.

Reactions: susurration

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't wait to see Inception! I guess I'm registering my general interest in this thread even though I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole until I see the movie early next week.
Yes, it's much more enjoyable if you don't have high expectations, don't read too much about it, and don't listen to hyped up reviews. Especially if you are as penchant to disappointment as I.

It wasn't as big a mindfuck as I wanted, but thanks to fi+ne, I got a lot out of it! :tongue:

·
Registered
897 Posts
deeper than I initially thought!!

After listening to my INTJ cousin's interpretation on the movie this morning, I am actually quite surprised of how much 'deeper' the movie is than I've ever thought! I am actually planning to watch it again for the 2nd time, for more appreciation of the movie!
I don't know..but I think if you still not find the movie very 'interesting', it could probably be that you still don't understand the movie thoroughly yet..heck, I even initially had a quite simple thoughts after watching it for the 1st time, but now that my cousin explained it (kudos to his INTJ-ness and his super-detail observation! :laughing:), it does really OPEN sooo many interesting dimensions to this movie, and now I even browse around about many possible 'theories' and 'conclusions',..there're just so many discussions & speculations, and that's what makes the movie interesting!
I mean, how many movies can make you do that, ie: you go discuss it with friends or other people for so many times, after you finished watching it??...the last movie I remember doing that was the Matrix trilogy (call me "geek", "nerd", but I am really really intrigued & love these types of 'sci-fi' & philosophical movies.......and doesn't most INFP do?...)

Another reason why I find this movie (or perhaps, the movie's premise) to be very interesting is perhaps the same reason with Matrix trilogy: We never know if we're now living in a "Reality", or it's just another layer of Dreams,..whereas our REAL Reality might lie somewhere else! ...and

the only way to find it out is if we're getting a 'kick' from that 'somewhere' place.. but then again, perhaps all those Dejavus that we're experiencing, and also those 'weird' anecdotal stories about people "remembering their past lives"(?), related with reincarnations etc,..it's all part of the 'kick' from another alternate universe or "Reality" ??
after all, the 'kick' is supposed to be a very RARE event (hence, 'weird' , un-normal events/experiences),..right?

but then again,..it might be all just me imagining another more interesting, fascinating reality, other than this too-often boring Reality that I'm living in right now lol :laughing:

·
Registered
897 Posts
spoiler alert perhaps!!?!?1?

It's not as clever a plot as I expected, but I thoroughly enjoyed INCEPTION.

I have a fascination with the concept of "simulacrum"-isms, dreams, and philosophy of the mind (and as a neuroscience major, the psychology of it of course :D) for some time now.

Among other things, the notion of dreams within dreams, and inceptions, really spoke to me.

The ideas, of once you enter the world of "dreams", you'll never want to return to 'reality' again, creating dreams and the fragility of ideals, and the blurred lines between reality and the dream state, really summed up my whole life experience.

Did anybody else get something out of this film?
hey me too Nova!
I am really reallyy interested with all those "alternate universe/reality" , dreams, after-life possibilities(?), philosophy of mind things!

In fact, if I am not mistaken..I've seen a thread somewhere with an INFP going in-depth research with all these things (something about "another higher plane of existence"?).
I would really so much appreciate it if you or anybody here could give me the links for more information, articles & readings about this topic! it's very interesting, at least personally for me!
thank you.

·
Registered
897 Posts
hey me too Nova!
I am really reallyy interested with all those "alternate universe/reality" , dreams, after-life possibilities(?), philosophy of mind things!

In fact, if I am not mistaken..I've seen a thread somewhere with an INFP going in-depth research with all these things (something about "another higher plane of existence"?).
I would really so much appreciate it if you or anybody here could give me the links for more information, articles & readings about this topic! it's very interesting, at least personally for me!
thank you.
no response?...anything? :sad:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I was kinda meh on the film, and everyone talked about how it was a mind blower, but it seemed pretty basic and straight forward. A little disappointing in the end, but still decent.

Without spoiling too much, lots of the different dream sequences seemed less attention grabbing around the end. It's sort of like that one part in a video game that everyone hates, even though they may like the rest of the film.

One part that I did really like is when Leo was talking to the young girl in the dream and everything was being manipulated. The special fx were out of this world.

As for dreams themselves, scientific studies suggest that GAMERS are actually so accustomed to sort of watching through the pov of whomever they're playing in a game that they are more incline to "take control" of a dream they are in and act it out almost like a game.

To this day no one really knows why dreams occur or if they serve a purpose. Some studies have shown that electrical impulses in the brain light up various areas. So for example if you took a laid out map of the world, you'd see a country light up then dim down, then another country would light up, etc etc.

The mysteries of REM sleep and what the hell your brain does during it...

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
the last movie I remember doing that was the Matrix trilogy (call me "geek", "nerd", but I am really really intrigued & love these types of 'sci-fi' & philosophical movies.......and doesn't most INFP do?...)

Another reason why I find this movie (or perhaps, the movie's premise) to be very interesting is perhaps the same reason with Matrix trilogy: We never know if we're now living in a "Reality", or it's just another layer of Dreams,..whereas our REAL Reality might lie somewhere else! ...and

the only way to find it out is if we're getting a 'kick' from that 'somewhere' place.. but then again, perhaps all those Dejavus that we're experiencing, and also those 'weird' anecdotal stories about people "remembering their past lives"(?), related with reincarnations etc,..it's all part of the 'kick' from another alternate universe or "Reality" ??
after all, the 'kick' is supposed to be a very RARE event (hence, 'weird' , un-normal events/experiences),..right?

HA Man where are you when I need you? :) Everyone I have spoken to I have said, yeah Inception weren't all that great, it was overhyped and basically the Matrix. It was basically going over themes the Matrix had already started. The Matrix was the more revolutionary film in the sense that it brought these themes to the limelight to be explored.

I had this one friend on facebook telling me how better Inception was then the Matrix and I said to him, 'come on, you mean when Arthur is running up walls in that dream fighting, you didn't think of the fight scenes in the Matrix? Or the way they go under in Inception, didn't that remind you of them plugging into the Matrix?' He was having none of it.

Then I had a chat with recently retired member of PerC lemonsqueeze on msn and we had this whole argument again, and then at the end he said to me 'well Nolan did say he was influenced by the Matrix' and I was like 'YEAH JUST A LITTLE HUH?'

To me Inception was vastly overated and was simply 'another movie' as far as I can recall, apart from the scene with the girl and leonardo in the dream, as he was training her, which even that was basically Morpheous showing Neo around the Matrix in the first Matrix movie.

My friend even said that the Matrix was over done on CGI and I was thinking 'dude movies are about visuals, what do you expect?' (i'll tell him that next time). Also CGI in the Matrix didn't detract from the movie, i've noticed that a lot of people have this prejudice against CGI as if they can't help but find fault with it, rather than seeing the great things it has offered. It would be like someone saying 'I don't want to watch Finding Nemo because it has CGI in it' Well Obviously, it's a kid animation movie and how else are they going to get a fish and an ocean of creatures to interact how they want.

I was kinda meh on the film, and everyone talked about how it was a mind blower, but it seemed pretty basic and straight forward.
My thoughts exactly, I said to my friend afterwards, the movie was straightforward and he was like 'no it's not. lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I thought the film was pretty awesome because

SPOILER ALERT!

in the scene at the end, Cobb's children haven't aged and are wearing the exact same clothing as they were in his last memory of them, so it's pretty apparent that at the end of the film, Cobb is still dreaming. What is unclear is for how much of the movie Cobb has been dreaming... did he just stay dreaming following his attempt at rescuing Saito from limbo? Was the entire movie a dream (remember the alleyway that mysteriously became thinner in Mombasa?), and could Mal have actually been correct in giving herself a 'kick' to return to reality? The entire movie is one big magical paradox, and can support an infinite number of scenarios that could explain its events. I loved it. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
matrix was definately more philosophically speculative
but for inception is one of the first films to really properly outline ideas of the subconcious as thats where its emphasis lies epecially in the first half

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well I thought the film was pretty awesome because

SPOILER ALERT!

in the scene at the end, Cobb's children haven't aged and are wearing the exact same clothing as they were in his last memory of them, so it's pretty apparent that at the end of the film, Cobb is still dreaming. ? The entire movie is one big magical paradox, and can support an infinite number of scenarios that could explain its events. I loved it. :cool:
*SPOILER*
You've summed up everything I was going to write. I love that there's so many possibilities and interpretations. I'm glad you also believe he's dreaming at the end of the film, a lot of people I think wanted to just take that at face value and be done with it, but somethings definitely off about that whole scenario. I think in the end he accepted his reality, didn't look at the spinning top thing because it no longer mattered to him, this was his perceived reality and he found happiness, whether or not it was real.

An entire movie and we might not have even seen his real life. His wife might even be alive, haha :D
To wake up after all that, quite a shock to the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts