Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Good question! I would venture to say that many of the traditional Native American cultures of ages past were NF, as well as perhaps ancient Japan.

477 Posts
Good question! I would venture to say that many of the traditional Native American cultures of ages past were NF, as well as perhaps ancient Japan.
While I agree with the common (and probably accurate) stereotype of American-Indian cultures as NF, there's no way Japan was. xSTJ to the max there.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,392 Posts
While I agree with the common (and probably accurate) stereotype of American-Indian cultures as NF, there's no way Japan was. xSTJ to the max there.
Japanese don't like expressing their feelings, especially if they are bad, because they are afraid that they will make others uncomfortable, I'm not sure if that qualifies as F, but it doesn't seem very T...

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I think Australian Aboriginals could be one. In fact their religion/mythology is called the "dream time" :happy:
It was/is quite a unique culture.

"According to Aboriginal belief, all life as it is today - Human, Animal, Bird and Fish is part of one vast unchanging network of relationships which can be traced to the great spirit ancestors of the Dreamtime". http://aboriginalart.com.au/culture/dreamtime2.html

I like how everything is connected, and that they see themselves as part of the land. Some of these cultural beliefs are seemingly so ahead of their time (is that ironic?). As arguably the worlds oldest culture, indigenous culture still has a lot to offer the developing world. It's a pity it's so devalued and has been torn apart over the last 200 odd years. I suppose it completely comes at odds with modern capitalist society at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I heard that France is one. Any others?
Heardthat France is not one, what makes you say that? :happy: Also I think we should make a difference between what countries declare and what they actually do.

I'd be inclined to believe Canada is one...they have good imigration laws, while mainteining a balance and not really warlike. Not sure though.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou
477 Posts
Japanese don't like expressing their feelings, especially if they are bad, because they are afraid that they will make others uncomfortable, I'm not sure if that qualifies as F, but it doesn't seem very T...
That sounds like Fe... ignoring your own feelings to make the group happy. So maybe xSxJ would be a better classification. Either way, they certainly aren't NF.... think of all the things they did in WWII instead of simply surrendering.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,392 Posts
Well, does being NF equals being good? Some chapters of Japan's history are ruthless but at the same time make no sense at all, like the WWII experiments, it's like they acted purely on ruthless feelings and evilness. Aren't Feelers supposed to act on emotions rather on thinking? Maybe not N, but I can't rule out F.

·
Registered
INFP
1,049 Posts
Japan is pretty much value oriented (that's Fe, could be linked to both S and N). I do believe that Shintoism is a lot like native american religion and other polytheism religion that search for meaning in nature. They believe that man are part of the ecosystems and not above them (that's what I learned in a culture class). I dont know if that qualifies them as NF though since the Japanese value hierarchy a lot and masculine values as well.

I would say Quebec is quite NF if anything. Unlike other place in Canada we value equality more than anything else and have quite a social brand of capitalism. That's why we have less rich people but our poorer class are less poor than elsewhere in North America. Also, if we were independent we would be like the top 6-7 of the most in debt nation in the world behind Japan, the PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Spain) and other countries (calculated by the debt/GDP ratio).

I think that the quest for independence could have something to do with it as well. Half of the population wants it. It's all about projecting our nation in the future in search for a better tomorrow. At least, that's what they think. A few people dont like the idea that our French colony was conquered by the British even if that was quite some time ago... They want full taxation right, cultural power and full control over their spending (some money comes from the federal government).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you take rules, regulations and routine in consideration when you mentioned Scandinavia? I live in Scandinavia (Sweden to be more accurate) and that's what I hate with this place.
Part from that we lately have been good in equality, solidarity (eg. immigration) and it's sparsely populated which make it not too crowded and with a nice nature.

Someone said Japan couldn't be NF cause they never surrendered in a war. That would make Sweden very NF as we surrendered for the germans in World War II. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would say Japan is IXTJ. I don't think feeling would be very respected in their society at all. Intuition might be if it gets results.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think Australia could be considered NF based on the kind of political capital that country has. It's almost as if some mad scientists cloned a bunch of purebred-INFP green hippies who were genetically programmed to "save Mother earth and all animals at all costs" and then let them loose in the outback.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Good question! I would venture to say that many of the traditional Native American cultures of ages past were NF.
That's an intriguing idea! I'm a 1/8 Cherokee product of forced assimilation. I was not raised with my heritage, and my all-white mom suppressed evidence of my race---having me bleach my hair and get plastic surgery. My heritage was not acknowledged at home, and I grew up hearing things like "Y'all are acting like a bunch of wild Indians. Settle down."

My mother and father also tried to "assimilate" my personality. They did not want me to be the NF that I was.

Anyway, I write novels. Like most creative writers, I hear voices in my head and characters talk to me---I know that I am hearing them in my head, which is the fine line between creative and crazy. So anyway, in the past year, I've had this voice in my head that says, "Run! Hide!" I see a smoky landscape with fire in the background. A Cherokee women runs and is caught by a white solider. People are screaming and running as the white soldiers chase them down. My protagonist's cabin is at the back of the camp and she flees to the woods. I have an inkling that she hides quite successfully.

Anyway, now after seeing this post, I think this novel seed symbolizes suppression of NF traits.

And the conflict between Cherokee and European settlers does seem a lot like a situation where Takers dominate Givers. My Cherokee ancestors were a welcoming people. They adopted displaced people from other tribes. They did bargain with the whites, teach them a lot about the land, and give them goods. It's all a lot like the way I give in a relationship.

They formed an alliance with Andrew Jackson against their common enemies. They even signed treaties.

And these kind-hearted, naive Cherokee thought they were going to be valued and that the whites would give back. Instead, Jackson burned down their homes, drove them off their land, and forced them on a death march half-way across the country. It feels a lot like my relationships with INTJ exes.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
I agree with most of you on here that Japan is not NF -- today. But you missed my original post -- I said ancient Japan. Very different than modern Japan. By ancient Japan, I'm talking like ancient Rome, so a thousand years ago or older. Although upon further consideration, I am inclined to believe ancient Japan was NT.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
I agree with most of you on here that Japan is not NF -- today. But you missed my original post -- I said ancient Japan. Very different than modern Japan. By ancient Japan, I'm talking like ancient Rome, so a thousand years ago or older. Although upon further consideration, I am inclined to believe ancient Japan was NT.
I caught it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Montreal seems to have a lot of NFs! Although there are a lot of all the others, I seem to meet a couple NFs every year.

Reactions: LeafStew
1 - 20 of 34 Posts