Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me the appeal of country music?

I just found my Kanye College Dropout CD that's been missing for months. So I get pumped and go on an old school Kanye binge. Mix in some Cudi, Chip tha Rip. Decent amount of Mumford and Sons, little bit of ELO. Next thing I know my friends get pissed and take over the music. Now it's country, and I'm not gonna lie, my ears are pissed.

I don't hear it. What am I missing?

·
Registered
17,200 Posts
Well there's what I think of poppy country which is the stuff where the guy is all AMERIKAHHHH and is all dressed up in how 10 gallon hat, boots a telecaster out in the fields.

But off the top of my head 3 musicians who are pretty country that I hold in high regard are Townes Van Zandt, Johnny Cash, Jessica Lea Mayfield. They have a sort of somber tone to them, they're what I think of as real good country music as they play a real white man's blues which is what country is in my opinion.

But if thats what gets them off nothing wrong with that, music lovers are people who love sound, can prefer other sounds because they seem to be more emotionally intense but specifically I dont personally like much country but when its done right like any genre it sounds great. Good music goes beyond genres

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can anyone explain to me the appeal of country music?

I just found my Kanye College Dropout CD that's been missing for months. So I get pumped and go on an old school Kanye binge. Mix in some Cudi, Chip tha Rip. Decent amount of Mumford and Sons, little bit of ELO. Next thing I know my friends get pissed and take over the music. Now it's country, and I'm not gonna lie, my ears are pissed.

I don't hear it. What am I missing?
I don't get junk music like Kanye West. Country is rooted in blues and rock/roll. It's also stories about life.

Kanye??? LOL

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Depends, country is a lot more homely. For rural folks I can definitely hear the appeal for it, every once in awhile I hit up a country soundtrack if I miss home more than usual. I think the form is a more suited for oral storytelling and getting in touch with roots of the past that we sometimes forget, or the miseries in life we would rather forget.

Though I like rock and rap far more, dish me up some Rob Zombie followed by Drake makes me a happy camper.

What do you get when you play a country song backwards? .......You get your truck, dog, and wife back.:shocked::tongue::wink:

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Any INFPs who would call country their favorite genre? If so, is it mostly due to nostalgia?

I understand country even less than rap, though I'm more offended by rap. Country music in general seems without originality or depth, except for whining about relationships. A lack of social messages, as compared to rap and other genres with lyrics.

Wouldn't it be cool if a stated interest in country music by a new acquaintance could be used to quickly and accurately to rule out the INFP type? I have a feeling it could be a Sensor marker (for Sensors raised on it), but no typological evidence outside this thread.

Reactions: idntknw

·
Registered
759 Posts
Well there's what I think of poppy country which is the stuff where the guy is all AMERIKAHHHH and is all dressed up in how 10 gallon hat, boots a telecaster out in the fields.

But off the top of my head 3 musicians who are pretty country that I hold in high regard are Townes Van Zandt, Johnny Cash, Jessica Lea Mayfield. They have a sort of somber tone to them, they're what I think of as real good country music as they play a real white man's blues which is what country is in my opinion.

But if thats what gets them off nothing wrong with that, music lovers are people who love sound, can prefer other sounds because they seem to be more emotionally intense but specifically I dont personally like much country but when its done right like any genre it sounds great. Good music goes beyond genres
Johnny Cash isn't country, Johnny Cash is Johnny Cash.

Furthermore, one of the things I hate most about Texas is country music everywhere and all the guys thinking they are cowboys because they wear boots and hats. Both the men and the music are ridiculous and laughable in my opinion, but I'm also a damn Yankee :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
If you guys actually sat down and listened to the lyrics and the soul of country music legends like Hank Williams Sr and early Tammy Wynette, you would see that it's not just simple rural folks doing their simple little thing or whining about anything. The new crap that is out there today is nothing compared to what it used to be. It's become a laughable cliche, just like any popular music that appeals to the masses. But when you get into the more alternative stuff that is out there, it gets a little better. I'm a huge fan of old vintage country music. It really bothers me when people talk shit about country music when they haven't even heard 10 Hank Williams songs.

I have a hard time finding a more beautiful, empathy soaked lyric than that of this song, penned by such a "simple minded rural man", the genius Hank Williams:
And personally, I find this to be a very INFP song.

And my personal sentiments:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My tastes mostly run to UK/Euro pop/rock/electronic stuff but I love a lot of old "classic" country and alt-country and the aforementioned Hank is one of my favorite artists. I've said a few times, and not entirely in jest, that "Hank is the only that understands me, mannn." :p I'd think a lot of the themes in his music and other old country artists' would speak well to certain dreamy, soul-searching, lovelorn INFPs. Beyond that, it just feels like home.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Okay, somethin' tells me that when you're talkin' bout "Country Music" you mean the new country/pop trash shit that you hear on the radio. Hooorible! That shit makes me want to jump a cliff/cut my ears off/get my tubes tied. I can say that I do like some Alt Country and also classic country though.

I also really like Rap music too. It's the same with country music as I don't much like the newer commercial rap that you hear on the radio (so repetitive and shallow!). I don't know the specific genre name but I prefer non mainstream rap as well as 90s rap. I do like some current stuff though too. I think rap and country have a lot in common actually. They are both into sampling- rap samples music and lyrics and country music actually "samples" other music in a way as individual songs are often covered by diff artists. Their lyrics are also about real life and often about the violence that accompanies it. Its sorta funny too as both genres have a rich history with women and black people as creators thats not seen in other genres- yet they are also the two most hated genres! Coincidence? I think not.

This is a good example of what I mean by violence in country music and "sampling", as its been covered by covered by pretty much everyone.

I also really like this song lately. It reminds me of something Morrissey would write heh.

·
Banned
79 Posts
When the earliest forms of blues music was branching out across America it formed a few sub genres...

`Uptown blues` which was played by city musicians and became the earliest forms of jazz
and...
`Down-home blues` which was played by farm boys and became the earliest forms of country music which later also partly morphed again with the blues into the earliest forms of rock`n`roll.

I see todays country music genre as one of the last frontiers for genuine blues/roots musicians to gain some recognition as an artist (as the commercial blues genre is all but dead), while at the same rubbing shoulders with the good-looking, outgoing and `easy to market` types as the genre slides ever so quickly straight down the shitter with all the re-hashed cliches till the glitzy entertainment industry cash cow rings every last cent out it.

It`s a vicious circle for the genuine artist who is trying to `make it` though...
They spend years and years refining their craft, trying and trying to make it and then they make it! ...but it`s only just begun, they have to keep producing to make a living (which usually does`nt pay much)...

"OK, so we need a new song"...
"errrr"
"Have we done the one about stepping in wet cow shit yet?"
"OK, I`ll need my hat and a telecaster for this one"
"Open G, ya ready... 1-2-3-4....."

To answer the OP`s Q... you can take or leave it I guess.

I prefer the REAL stuff but, yeah, I can only take so much of it too...

Having said that this guys` from England of all places...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Country used to be my least favourite genre out there. I hated the twangy, whining voices of a lot of the music, and I'm still not a fan of that. But nowadays I can at least appreciate country music even if I don't necessarily like it. I can stand some country if someone around is playing, but I don't think I'd voluntary go and seek out country music to listen to. I actually really like some bluegrass, though, and folk is quite nice too.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Do I lose my INFP card if I admit that I love country music? :tongue:

I don't love all country music, only what I feel is the best. If it stirs my emotions, that counts for a lot. Same for any other genre or label you want to put on music.

My favorite artist in any genre is Gram Parsons. Gram was a hippy who didn't conform to what the country music establishment thought the presentation should be. So he was scorned and shunned while the people who were influenced by him are all over the country music hall of fame today. There are few artists who can rip my heart out with their voice. Gram is one.

and some covers of Gram's songs

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
And I wanna add to the whole idea that INFPs or Intutives in general wouldn't like country music that I know a few big country music fans and their types are - INFJ, INFP, INTP, ENFP.

You really can't judge what types are going to like different genres of music.

·
Registered
157 Posts
country music is awesome.. why because they tell stories.. STORIES and i think ppl just dont want to listen because its very nostalgic and at the most sad .

wow.. i have a very large selection.. i can keep going :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not everyone can be a country music fan, but if you're going to criticize the genre, please do not use Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and Toby Keith as your measuring stick. Check out Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., and the Carter Family.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I counter with:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts