Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize some of this is going to have some more to do with culture than personality, but I was just wondering if it's a common thing for us INFP's to dig the steel guitars, the plaintive vocals and the generally very emotional pleas for love, declarations of lifelong commitment, laments of betrayal and love lost ...

I'll admit, I'm a HUGE country fan. Admittedly, I've lived in the south all my life, but something about the violins, the wistfulness, the tears and the rain ... just really clicks with my emotional side.

Anyone else on the same page?

Here are some that really do "it" for me (can't really define what "it" is, but I figure y'all know what I'm talking about). ;)

Post some of you favorites, if ya got 'em!

Reactions: DarwinsBastard

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love most kinds of music, I love steel guitars, I love telecasters, but I can't stand a lot of country music, for a few reasons, the most blaring being that I'm not a christian, and faith is an important part of a lot of country music, instrumental country and bluegrass, I go crazy for

and why do 90% of country singers sing in the exact same kind of voice? it feels like a put on, I dunno, I think I'm biased

the subject material in the lyrics of a lot of country is impossible for me to identify with

that said, bands that straddle the folk/country line, I go nuts for, Ray Lamontagne, The Civil Wars, etc...

and there are some country artists that I absolutely love

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the folk roots of country music - especially the Celtic roots.

A lot of the "backwoods" Appalachian-area music has strong Celtic influences. You get me some Irish or Scottish ballads, and I'm completely swept away.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And this could be the most ... COUNTRY ... song ... like ever.

·
Registered
268 Posts
And this could be the most ... COUNTRY ... song ... like ever.
Haha, before I watched that I thought surely no country song could be "countrier" than this:

But then I watched it... yours is definitely more Country!

I live in Nashville, TN and I love country music. Growing up, I adamantly refused to listen to it. I hated the fact that when I told anyone I was from Nashville they automatically assumed I loved country music! Then about 2 years ago, I heard that song I posted and loved it. I identified with it... I grew up across from a farm catching crawdads in the creek down the dirt road I lived on. It brought me back... then of course Miranda Lambert came out with that beautiful song "The House that Built Me"... which I even more identified with, and I was hooked.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like Hank Williams Sr and oldtime country such as Carter Family, and some outlaw country. I recently sold a steel guitar when I was in a pinch-couldn't really play it anyway, but I do love that steel sound. But I'm not a fan of most mainstream country at all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I grew up across from a farm catching crawdads in the creek down the dirt road I lived on. It brought me back
I love country music now, I'm indescriminate (aside from, ok, the Rascal Flatts... or Flascal Ratts as I lovingly call them. It's just his voice that bugs me.)
I was born in a small city, and grew up in an even smaller city. I never listened to much country when I lived there, but when I moved to a big-ish metro area, I suddenly discovered country music, and I got hooked. Thought "it reminds me of home."

I feel like the places I've lived, I could pretty much live anywhere (okay, forget NYC or Boston), but maybe suburbs of a large-ish area.

But something always brings me back to those small-town memories, and I feel like someday I'll be back in small-town USA, sitting on the front porch strumming a guitar and just watching the wind blow by.

Miranda Lambert has something about her that's always been interesting to me, though I don't ever feel like I've really "connected" with her songs.

I will say "More like her" is probably my favorite of hers - almost cry whenever I hear it. And "House that Built Me" is definitely cute - maybe I just don't identify with it because I've moved several times and I don't feel that way about a particular house. I have good and bad memories of all of them.

Plus, I just don't think I'm extroverted enough to do something like that. I would feel creepy being like "Hi, you don't know me, but I grew up here, mind if I have a look around?" I'd probably dream about going back "home," and maybe drive by, but just walking up to a house with no idea who lives there ... *shudder*

Here's one that always gets me thinking about "home," and more often than not I get confused, because I have so many places I associate with it.

I've lived in seven different houses in four different areas from east to midwest, and I feel like I'm still searching for "home."

But whatever your definition of home is, I think this song's for everybody.

Reactions: Fiel

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used to absolutly hate country....until about 2 years ago....and now there is nothing better, than driving on the highway windows rolled down, listening to the country station. xD

It just feels so good!!! I especially love how simple, yet clever and moving country songs can be.
It's the best

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to absolutly hate country....until about 2 years ago....and now there is nothing better, than driving on the highway windows rolled down, listening to the country station. xD

It just feels so good!!! I especially love how simple, yet clever and moving country songs can be.
It's the best
You reminded me, talking about the highway, of this song.

One time I drove about 400 miles of Ohio, West VA, and VA, more than half of it on backroads. I avoided most of the interstate on purpose. It was awesome :)

Reactions: Theodore and Fiel

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Not crazy about the more commercial aspects of any style of music, but I love American roots music in all its incantations. :tongue:

One look at my avatar and you know I am really into this guy...

Gram had it right. It isn't country, it isn't rock, it isn't country rock, it isn't blues, it isn't gospel, it isn't R&B. It's Cosmic American Music. :happy:

RIP Gram Parsons

·
Registered
268 Posts
You reminded me, talking about the highway, of this song.

One time I drove about 400 miles of Ohio, West VA, and VA, more than half of it on backroads. I avoided most of the interstate on purpose. It was awesome :)
I LOVE that song :) It always makes me happy. It's so "serendipic" when it comes on the radio as I'm driving home down some back roads haha, and like @Berns321 , I roll the windows down and turn it up!

I also love driving, and everything about road trips. I've always imagined the best vacation being a road trip alone out west to the Grand Canyon (blaring my country music of course, and can't leave out the classic rock on a road trip either), hiking to the bottom, camping and rafting, then stopping at a chalet in the mountains on the way back for a week of reading and seclusion. *sigh*

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I LOVE that song :) It always makes me happy. It's so "serendipic" when it comes on the radio as I'm driving home down some back roads haha, and like @Berns321 , I roll the windows down and turn it up!

I also love driving, and everything about road trips. I've always imagined the best vacation being a road trip alone out west to the Grand Canyon (blaring my country music of course, and can't leave out the classic rock on a road trip either), hiking to the bottom, camping and rafting, then stopping at a chalet in the mountains on the way back for a week of reading and seclusion. *sigh*
That just sounds about perfect! *rushes to google mountain chalets*

Always thought it would be awesome to see the Grand Canyon. One of these days I'll make it out. I've rafted a little in Alaska, but I've seen amazing pictures of rafting on the Colorado. This is making me homesick for somewhere I've never been ... I Love/hate that feeling!

Reactions: Fiel

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm with @DarwinsBastard on this one. I can't stand most country music because I find the Christian-y, conservative vibe extremely off-putting and dislike the twangy vocals of most country songs, but I'm definitely a huge sucker for folk and roots music (especially Canadian stuff, but maybe I'm a bit biased there, haha). Some of it borders on country-ish sometimes I guess, though I'd say that most of what I listen to in that category is closer to either blues-y or indie acoustic stuff.

Mainstream American country music especially makes me want to jump off a cliff, haha. I have neighbours who like to blast that sort of stuff outdoors during the summer... argh.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
ENFP, but absolutely. Especially into bluegrass and '60s/'70s country. Spunk + melancholia/wistfulness + humor + (the good kind of) cheesiness. Sure. I relate.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
There was a country music thread a few weeks ago and somebody said essentially the opposite of everything you have. I believe the word "whining" was used. :) I really don't like modern/pop country for aesthetic reasons but some of the lyrics can be pretty clever, I guess. I like old country, alt country, honky tonk type-stuff and a few "nu-grass" artists like Alison Krauss. At it's best it's definitely some of the most visceral, evocative music there is. She's pretty subdued but here's a new girl I like

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I can also get down to a little Zydeco music... but then, my family is cajun and we have crawfish boils in the summer. I just love the feeling country music gives me :)

Ever listen to old cajun music from, say, the 20s-50s? Some of it literally sends chills up my spine. I feel an affinity and familiarity with this music that I'm at a loss to explain. Even the upbeat stuff can make me tear up a bit.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ever listen to old cajun music from, say, the 20s-50s? Some of it literally sends chills up my spine. I feel an affinity and familiarity with this music that I'm at a loss to explain. Even the upbeat stuff can make me tear up a bit.
Hah, I love that :) It all brings back great childhood memories... community coffee and biquick biscuits... the heat and humidity, barefoot, legs hanging off the front porch, mamaw and papaw, table full of newspaper, crabs, crawfish, spicy liquid dripping down my arm, my brother when he was still alive, "eeeyyy yuu der!" Laissez les bon temps rouler! It's like a memory in a song. Thanks for that :)

Mmm... I want to go back to south Louisiana!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts