Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a covert narcissist? I read about that guy Eliott Rodgers who was angry at girls not dating him was one.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
A shy or quiet narcissist who generally creates a false persona of goodness, they tend to err towards extreme piety and self congratulatory martyrdom, rather than what most people think of as a narcissist (some one beautiful, flashy or intelligent and high achieving)...covert narcissists are basically black holes of emotional need who exist by draining others, their narcissistic supply may come in the form of ALWAYS trying to make EVERYONE feel sorry for them or "help" them, or they could be the mother who sees her children as nothing more than an extension of herself, something that gives her life meaning or purpose but about how it reflects on her, not the actual child's identity or overall well being. They use people just as much as another narcissist, but do it in sly ways that make them seem "good" or like theyre always the victim.

I don't think Elliot Rodgers was covert, honestly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A shy or quiet narcissist who generally creates a false persona of goodness, they tend to err towards extreme piety and self congratulatory martyrdom, rather than what most people think of as a narcissist (some one beautiful, flashy or intelligent and high achieving)...covert narcissists are basically black holes of emotional need who exist by draining others, their narcissistic supply may come in the form of ALWAYS trying to make EVERYONE feel sorry for them or "help" them, or they could be the mother who sees her children as nothing more than an extension of herself, something that gives her life meaning or purpose but about how it reflects on her, not the actual child's identity or overall well being. They use people just as much as another narcissist, but do it in sly ways that make them seem "good" or like theyre always the victim.

This. Although I would add that as opposed to classic narcissists who actually believe in their false persona, covert narcissists are aware that this false persona they're projecting to people is fake which makes them vulnerable to intense feelings of shame - they have a true self underneath which is underdeveloped.

Elliott Rodgers was a bit of a complex case he seemed to have pronounced avoidant and schizoid traits along with some form of narcissistic personality disorder.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
I like distinguishing things, but nowadays I just go by a more simple definition of someone who cares about themselves significantly more than they do about others (relatively speaking), but at the same time pities/reveres self (really two sides of the same coin) while not extending those feelings towards others.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
This. Although I would add that as opposed to classic narcissists who actually believe in their false persona, covert narcissists are aware that this false persona they're projecting to people is fake which makes them vulnerable to intense feelings of shame - they have a true self underneath which is underdeveloped.

Elliott Rodgers was a bit of a complex case he seemed to have pronounced avoidant and schizoid traits along with some form of narcissistic personality disorder.
Can you extrapolate more on how he was he schizoid/avoidant?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

I agree with this and know someone just like that. Prince(ss) syndrome.

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can you extrapolate more on how he was he schizoid/avoidant?
Yeh. From what I remember of his manifesto he began isolating himself in his room playing world of warcraft all day, living in his own internal world while harbouring these grandiose fantasies of himself - he seemed to emotionally detach himself from the external world as it would remind him the reality that people (women) didn't see him as this consummate and sophisticated 'gentleman' he believed himself to be. Seems schizoid-ish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts