Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are updates from my daughter who is an Internal Medicine Physician at a major USA University Medical Research Hospital. They are treating many covid patients. I spoke with her last Saturday about the pandemic and did not hear from her until this morning. Here is what I received from her:

<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

"We have had one fatality since we last spoke. We are on 24 hour work schedule and I have been asked - begged! - to not leave the hospital. Most of us are literally living at the hospital and trying to catch a wink of sleep when we are able. I personally have 2 of my residents on quarantine and IDK about other Attendee Drs. All our ICU's are all full and we do not have anywhere near the PPE's we need (PPE - Personal Protective Equipment). We (Drs) are accepting the reality that we possibly all will all come down with the virus. While the health risk to most is extremely minimal, our entire hospital & personnel are totally overwhelmed and we have weeks to go before we'll turn the corner.

And people who really need vital care for other more serious medical issues are often unable to receive the care they need when they require it. You won't here from me again before this weekend I just don't have time......"

I will posts other stuffs as I receive it or am able to glean info.
Jonny Koon Luzsha

·
Registered
341 Posts
Here are updates from my daughter who is an Internal Medicine Physician at a major USA University Medical Research Hospital. They are treating many covid patients. I spoke with her last Saturday about the pandemic and did not hear from her until this morning. Here is what I received from her:

<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

"We have had one fatality since we last spoke. We are on 24 hour work schedule and I have been asked - begged! - to not leave the hospital. Most of us are literally living at the hospital and trying to catch a wink of sleep when we are able. I personally have 2 of my residents on quarantine and IDK about other Attendee Drs. All our ICU's are all full and we do not have anywhere near the PPE's we need (PPE - Personal Protective Equipment). We (Drs) are accepting the reality that we possibly all will all come down with the virus. While the health risk to most is extremely minimal, our entire hospital & personnel are totally overwhelmed and we have weeks to go before we'll turn the corner.

And people who really need vital care for other more serious medical issues are often unable to receive the care they need when they require it. You won't here from me again before this weekend I just don't have time......"

I will posts other stuffs as I receive it or am able to glean info.
Jonny Koon Luzsha
The question is, why are so many people in the ICU? I'm of the opinion that the virus is extremely tame for most people. When you get the chance to ask her, I would love to know whether the ICU is either crowded with the elderly (and other vulnerable demographics), or those that simply malinger/aren't that worse off. If you could, I would also like to know how most patients react (emotionally) to having the virus, and how the staff manages misbehavior amongst the diseased. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The question is, why are so many people in the ICU? I'm of the opinion that the virus is extremely tame for most people. When you get the chance to ask her, I would love to know whether the ICU is either crowded with the elderly (and other vulnerable demographics), or those that simply malinger/aren't that worse off. If you could, I would also like to know how most patients react (emotionally) to having the virus, and how the staff manages misbehavior amongst the diseased. Thanks for the info!
Let me clarify:
<<<<<<<-------------------take it frum a koon!

The icu's are not full with persons who have only covid-19 but mostly other illnesses/trauma. They normally aren't full but still have a decent population but because of the virus they are full. The most alarming point I've gathered thru all of this is that while true, for most persons the virus is not that harmful; but because there are so many patients occurring so rapidly (with no end in sight) that it is taking valuable medical system energy away from those persons who really need medical attention due to covid unrelated issues.......

My bad on the confusion but I was quoting my daughter and I understood what she was saying to me but failed to relate that in OP.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a source link on current status, to summarize latest high points :
Number of cases & deaths outside of China now exceed those in China.
First vaccine trials have begun in the United States.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00154-w

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yeah. A lot of people are saying they don't get the big deal about CV19 bc it seems mild, but what they're failing to take into account is the volume of sick will interfere with "normal" illnesses, lack of protection for staff which will lead to many of them being out of commission for quarantine, our government's slow response for testing, which leaves more room for the acutely at-risk to become infected, thereby requiring more ventilators that we can't buy and/or produce quickly enough...

It's a huge domino affect that could have been avoided had China not suppressed info (or continue to suppress it) and had governments outside of the CCP taken the threat seriously.

Anyway, thanks for the first hand account. Your daughter's doing good work, hopefully she stays safe and gets some sleep.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My daughter & I (originated by me) had a text conversation last night and here is some info I'll relay:

<<<<<<----------------------take it frum a koon!

ME: Is vrything ok with you? Howz it been going?

Her:
We have more cases. hospital is on lock down. We only have 20 tests kits left for our entire area - city & county
We have minimal PPE (Personal Protection Equipement)
Not a good situation here
All icu's are beyond full capacity so if we get hit with a spike in the next 2 weex as anticipated its gonna be very bad.

ME: Are U still living at the hospital?

HER:
HELL no not living at hospital.
I only come & go from home to hospital I've been ordered to not leave the city

Her, cont:
Hospital is on lockdown
All the cafeterias are shut down closed
All elective surgical cases cancelled

ME: How are patients & families handling this; emotionally, psychologically; positive tests, prognosis,etc?

Her:
They screen everyone at the door for temp & illness. Every 1 is interrogated for symptoms.
We have only about 45 tests kits left for this whole area - it's a joke when we serve hundreds of thousands of patients for everything
I have never met these peoples families or the patients themselves
I imagine they feel bad & stigmatized and prob worry about who else friends & family strangers they infected

ME: Yep. I'm glad I live in my truck & have been Social Distancing my whole life so no big deal to me.
What type of any restrictions have you been put on you? Cause you treat them & are on the "front line"?

HER:
We have only primary Attending Dr see the patient.
We cannot leave the city
If one of us thinks we might be sick go to occupational health for testing & screen
and probable quarantine

ME: R there anymore med peeps on Q? Do you feel yur in a safe environment?

HER: We have 2 residents in Q (quarantine) but some Attending dr's have also now been there as they recently travelled to suspect high risk areas

I have much more to add but need a break as she & I shared much more. I'll post the rest in a bit but I need a break.

Reactions: EyesOpen and Fennel

·
King of Seduction
7,168 Posts
Good to see there are some sensible people in here.
Really it comes down to overwhelming our healthcare system and a lack of testing.
We cannot contain what we don't know to contain and as a result the infection will spread.
The other factor is this is very mild which only accelerates the spread because many will write it off as hyped.
But this is essentially a highly contagious pneumonia.
The morality rate will start ok and get worse as resources get spent.
I've been told I am "anti-vaxx" but I have never been anti-public health.
What is happening in Italy doesn't need to happen here.
- Also I saw yesterday that the generic drug ubiquinone was effective in treating - so perhaps there is some good news.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's some verbage from an email my daughter received - redacted by me in order to preserve my daughter's identity as well as the hospital and the geographic area.

<<<<<<<----------------take it frum a koon!

HER: email I jus got

"Current stats in (State redacted)
Memos were sent last night with concerns we are actively seeing increase community transmission in (State redacted) We remain in (redacted) operations effective 3.17.20.
Todays key messages:
(Key Attachmments and information can be found on the Clinical Computers)

It is essential that ALL clinics review their protocols for phone screening of symptoms, masking patients with respiratory symptoms and using appropriate PPE when seeing patients with respiratory symptoms. ALL staff need to be aware of the protocols and be comfortable with following them.

Key Message:
Despite the public concern, we CANNOT authorize testing asymptomatic patients that think they have been exposed.
We remain in critical shortage of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and shortage of testing supplies.
ALL CLINICIANS must STRICTLY follow the (redacted)testing algorithm.
As supplies dwindle, we may be forced to NOT test patients with mild symptoms despite meeting the criteria.
As healthcare providers we must remain CALM and help educate both our patients and staff.
DO NOT test any ASYMPTOMATIC patient PERIOD!

Me: holy shit

HER: Such bullshit
no reason any hospital in America should be in this position and yet all of us are
have to sleep tawk in morn gu ni

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, my wife did a lot of her years doing Pathology for a while. I knew about how serious all this was months ago.

When the papers expressed a plague outbreak- she laughed, nothing to worry about we have antibiotics.

When the papers expressed an outbreak in Dallas of Ebola - rolled her eyes and said they're playing that up really well.

When the papers expressed at any time an outbreak of Bird Flu, she would look to see if the human transmission had been an issue and the glance down at her work and state nothing to be alarmed about. Even in the past she enjoyed helping friends with their research papers and would collect ducks with them in the field to study Bird flu transmission.

When Zika hit - concerning for unborn children but she wasn't in arms about it.

When Covid hit - I have never seen her work so fast. She's been on the phone and emails with all her pathologist friends going over the numbers. "How bad is it?" I asked. She looked at me with a mix of first wonderment that she was about to witness the birth of something very rare but also with dread. "It's bad." She said. Then proceeded to speed talk to me why it's bad. After over-analyzing her work, I came to the same conclusion, that there are a lot of deaths coming with this virus. Not to mention she never seems to surprise me of how intelligent she actually is. Sometimes I wonder if she holds it back not to make the rest of us feel awkward.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked her this morning :

ME: In your opinion How much medical system energy is this covid thing taking away frum persons who are in more need of that medical energy? As If covid had nevr happened/occurred?

<<<<<<<<----------------------take it frum a koon!

Her: Well, I mean the American health care system is broke anyways.............
In regards to life support many people require it [for a variety of issues]. And our ICU runs at or near capacity everyday anyway. So it will be a significant burden. The respiratory therapists are already running a high patient census.

In Italy, the death rate is high , not just because the virus is so terrible ( it causes ARDS or as you know dad - you military med peeps called it "shock lung"), but also because they do not have enough staff, Drs, medicine or ventilators for those who need it. They have to, as you did in combat, triage everyone based on a likelihood of survival and make the decision to let some of these people die. This is modern civilized medicine tho dad - not combat . This shouldn't occur in civilized modern medicine aquainted countries. So, many are left to die who likely could have been easily medically managed and likely saved.

I just hope that IF I'm ever to the point in my life that I need a tube in my throat it is there for me.

When I become infected with this virus as I likely will at some point in the coming days or weeks, I don't know what I will do or where I will go and I'm a fuking doctor. I will not go home and infect [her husbands name/ my son in law].

ME: You'll have to live in your SUV. I'll give you pointers and drive to you and treat you.
I'm glad I didn''t go to San Diego this year . California is under state wide Stay Home order - Medical Marshall Law.

(Will post more as I'm able)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Latest correspondence between Dr(internal medicine) Daughter & myself:

(After Her & I engaging in personal bs)
Her:
I'm concerned for many of us because Italy and China Drs are wearing jumpsuits
So far all I've gotten is mask & gown

<<<<<<<--------------------take it frum a koon!

ME: It's bullshit too, I think, that the richest country in the world has enuff billion$$$ nukes stockpiled to blow the world up 10x over but it can't supply hospitals & med peeps like you with enuff PPE and proper amount testing materials for the health & safety of its own damn population [end rant]

HER:
EXACTLY!!
Please don't tell mom but we have multiple - a lot- of covid cases at our hospital. some are on ventilators here and they are even screening all physicians at entrances for fever, coughs, symptoms every day. Even if you leave for a short time you get it again when you return . No one is exempt. Don't tell mom she will freak out.

ME: Ok, I don't talk with her about this kind of stuff cause I know she will She'll start bawling

HER: yep We are making a designated COVID-19 Unit at the hospital. The internal med residents will be responsible for all COVID patients on a special team; I'm in charge of it. We will have designated residents on call specifically to handle the anticipated explosion of patients expected in the next week & onward.
Because I'm in charge of the Internal Med residents the responsibility for putting together the team, its medical response, etc has been placed on my door I'm at home in my office for now to stay healthy ,avoid getting sick and organizing this emergency COVID treatment team and its medical response.
I know ur eccentric so Keep me posted where u @ & how u r.
Ok gotta go

(more when I get it,)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: mimesis

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mire of the swamp (D.C.) is thick. We bought ourselves weeks of time in the earliest days of this plague, but our attempts at a followup are too late. It's the non-committance to any plan of action that will cost the U.S. most dearly.

<<<<<-------------------take it frum a koon!

I agree generally, and could write an elaborative response but I don't want this thread to become politicized but rather to give the perspective of the medically scientific based medical community & opinion a voice and perspective... I posted the WHO link because it essentially gives the same conclusion , "backs up" from a macro "birds eye" big picture national perspective what my daughter has been saying to me for sometime now from her own "micro" "molecular" city/community perspective & experience to this date. In other words what my daughter is seeing & experiencing "on the front line" of her hospital is in fact occuring in like manner, according to WHO, nationally, across USA.

For myself, I've been in "self quarantine" now for 10 days since leaving all the Spring Breakers at South Padre Island Texas and have experienced zero symptoms what so ever on any level except I suffered a momentary bad cough a few days back when a couple drops of my gin went part way down my windpipe. Not the way to get alcohol into ones blood stream. :idunno:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reactions: mimesis and Fennel

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Latest frum my daughter:

Picture of her Covid Team of Resident Drs who have been tasked at her hospital with fighting this virus:

IMG_0714.jpg

My daughter is lower right. (Picture is frum a conference about 7weeks ago. She was the principle speaker)
Her:
Our part of the hospital that houses the Covid pnts (patients) is being called "Covid Town" and we're being called the "Covid Cops"

Me: Whats the load like ?

Her: I don't even know the exact count but we have 19 on ventilators and have had more fatalities

Me: what r u seeing thats typical?

Her:Typical would be a lady who was diagnosed with covid last week
Came in to er respiratory failure , intubated and had cardiac arrest peri intubation
She is overweight, obese & now in [covid] icu

ME: any prior?

Her: We did cooling to 33C for brain preservation post cardiac arrest was down for 2 minutes so hopefully will be alright
Other than being obese she had no prior & no meds
All of our icu have history of either prior issues, smoking etc or and are obese. Virus is really mean to any1 that smokes or is overweight or old.
Have to go tyl

1 - 20 of 44 Posts