Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's one hard nut in particular that I'm finding it hard to crack, though it would be interesting to see what people say to get people to take tests in general.

Background on the INTJ I'm trying to crack, if you want:

I've been trying off and on to crack him for years.

He's almost definitely an INTJ, however the communication style feels like ISTJ about 15% of the time. He has little to no Fe, oodles of Fi and is very process driven: Te. Doesn't believe in being "boxed." He's very anti-authoritarian and individualistic though will fit in with intellectually status-based organizations. It seems that he's time-aware, and reliable. I think that the communication issue may be Ne-based.

That's the point at which I lose him. I need to make sure what I say fits into neat little packages, however we can still share our abstract ideas. I just need to bring them back to base. The first Ne topic that is introduced is fine, however any second level Ne ideas: no chance of communicating these. Our brains connect somewhere, but at this point, it's hard to know where that is.

Is there a way to crack him?

I am wanting to do so with the best of intentions as the communication is kind of awkward at times, though supposedly it's less awkward with me than it is with a lot of others; still, I'd like to smooth it over.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would imagine that Ni and Ne can clash due to Ni's tendency to converge onto a single idea, while Ne's tendency to diverge into a large amount of possibilities. Ne, like you said, is great for a Ni user to come up with new things to circle around, and eventually "conquer." But too much of it at once causes us to lose our train of thought. If I had a suggestion it would be to just try to stay on topic until the discussion has slowed a bit and needs a new spark to continue.

(Sorry this doesn't really answer your question). I don't interact with many ISJ's so I'm not sure how a Si would manifest itself. If you notice the Te, just try to search for the presence of Ni. Does this person get excited when conclusions are approached? or when things sort of "come together"? or when everything just "clicks"?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this person get excited when conclusions are approached? or when things sort of "come together"? or when everything just "clicks"?
I agree wholemindedly about your description of the Ni and Ne divergence. Since he stimulates my Ne, I think he gets excited when we understand each other at all, which is when I can make my Ne small. It's hard to tell if this is excitement about conclusions in general, or just excitement at a less awkward stream of communication.

I think that the 15% that I'm getting in common with with ISTJ is likely to be the shared auxiliary Te and tertiary Fi functions that ISTJs and INTJs both have.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmmm, well that would be really hard to say not knowing the relationship. Another thing that's a bit subtle would be if his speech picks up speed, even only moderately, when he nears a conclusion.

Does he feel like a freight train once he gets going? I know once the Ni-Te thing gets going it's pretty hard to stop. I know that you can use your Ne to help improve his conclusions (in that different ways of viewing the topic, or contradictions might allow him to improve that conclusion). I guess my only advice would be try to keep what you say relevant to the topic if you're in the middle of a discussion (unfortunately I don't know any INTPs in real life, or I would be able to better help you).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts