Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about 10 years starting around age 18, I had a recurring dream pattern. Not the same dream, but the same landscape. Baren, like a Mars landscape. Seas of sand with occasional rock outcroppings. Through it ran a canyon miles deep and straight down, with a faintly seen river at the bottom. In about 50 dreams over the years I would explore the landscape, sometimes walking in dry sand but leaving pools of water in my every footprint; other times finding hidden pools of water and wading in it, to the amazement of onlookers peeking out from behind the rocks; at times picking up the water in little balls like baseballs (like Clumsy Carp, for those who get the reference!). Almost all had elements of water and a mystical sort of feeling. The canyon was horrifying to approach, but at times I braved looking over the edge. Almost always I woke with very vivid recollection of the dreams (unlike most dreams).

Can anyone relate to this? I'd love to hear your own recurring dream patterns, and what you think they mean.

I'm putting this in the INFJ forum because I can't help think this sort of thing may be more common in this type.

Please respond with anything you feel is interesting and related to this topic. Thanks!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I also have recurring dream patterns, maybe about four or five that come up once in a while. Most of them are taking place in a city, which I've actually never seen, but feels so extremely familiar. At the same time it's often about getting lost in that world which I believe to be so familiar, but must be a construction of many places I've been to, pictures I've seen, games I've played.
One thing that changes is the way I'm moving through this city and depending on the transportation are to some extent the parts of the city. By foot I find myself walking through shopping malls, the old town or the forest. Sometimes I'm on roller blades, sometimes I can fly. But whenever I fly there will be a lot of stairs in my dream. At the same time I will be chased, often by robots. Often I find myself endlessly riding busses and trains, walking through stations.
Whenever there are other people I know in my dream, they will either appear on the bus or in a hotel in the city. Because we're always on a holiday together for whatever reason. Sometimes - and this is quite personal - I dream about the guy I have a crush on, sometimes it's a guy I don't know. And then we will just lie next to each other talking (about things that don't make any sense), sometimes touching his face or kissing him, nothing more. But it's so real, when I wake up I feel so dragged down.
There are also dreams in which I'm walking through my house, though it often has more rooms and is a weird mixture of my current house and the old one. Those dreams often turn into nightmares about bad things happening to my family.
So, I see this dream world as my inner world. It's a weird mixture of wishes and fears and memories. But I'm really impressed with all the details. I really want to know how that works. I have a great fantasy, but while dreaming I don't actively think up that place and what's happening there. I only control myself.
I often wish there would be some machine to record those dreams and watch them again like movies.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have quite a few recurring dreamscapes.

1. A house. The outside looks like a Victorian Painted Lady House with lots of ornate carvings and a wrap-around porch. Even though I've never been in this house in my waking life, I know my way around it in my dreams. I know where all the rooms are. There's a dumb waiter that goes from the kitchen up to a maid's station in a parlor upstairs. I've had several dreams where I'm following a boy around in it but he never turns around so I don't know who it is or what he looks like. It's also haunted. There is a portal in the attic where spirits can pass through from a different dimention.
  2. A Library. The library is circular and has a dome with an occulus on top. There is a giant spiral staircase in the center that takes you to other levels. The very top is for "members only". I was let into once when I was looking for someone. It is like a meditation room with pillows all over the floor and the members sit around and read from "the book of wisdom".
  3. The ocean. I've had several dreams of swimming in the deep ocean without scuba gear. It's like I could breathe under water. I would swim with dolphins and whales and even sharks. One dream of the ocean I had was one in which I heard a very peaceful voice whisper to me repeatedly "Love is the Ocean".
  4. I have more such as being back in a classroom with people I went to both HS, University, and work with.
  5. Another is where I'm driving around a city that I've never been in but I know my way around.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,562 Posts
I don't think it's more common with one type over another as everyone seems to experience reoccurring dreams :)

I used to have reoccurring dreams of driving (I don't drive in real life) and getting lost or the car going out of control and I would run into something. The other reoccurring one was me being back in school but I missed so many days that it's impossible for me to catch up on the school work and I have no idea where I'm supposed to go (like I have amnesia) and it's incredibly stressful. I think those are just fear dreams. I haven't had dreams like that in a long time though. The other one was me protecting people (usually my family) in some shape or form. I used to have falling dreams (a common type) when I was younger but can't say that I get them any more as an adult...at least not often enough for me to remember. Stuff like that.

When my INFP brother was little he had the same dream every night of people carrying suitcases chasing him all over the place. When he accepted Jesus as his savior (when he was 7) he had a dream where Jesus was talking to him. The nightmares (reoccurring dreams) ceased after that. So I do believe some dreams are spiritual in nature - from God or evil. But most in my opinion are just from our soul (things we take in through our lifetime). Well I guess it tends to vary by person as everyone's experience is different. That has just been my personal experience (most of mine come from my own soul - mind, will, emotions) though I could be wrong.

Yours sounds interesting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also have recurring dreams, and have since childhood. Once I figured out what they meant, they became like a barometer for how I was doing mentally and emotionally. I have been able to work past several recurring dreams and have dreams that brought them to a positive conclusion. Others I still have if I am feeling out of control of my life on occasion.

Reactions: ToadMan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts