Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow INFJs,

I know there are many incredibly gifted storytellers here in this forum. That is why I am asking for your help and input in creating a short story. It can either be an original story or a story which you've read somewhere. It should take 5 minutes to tell. The short story should be about the need to be or the benefits of being fair but firm.

Thank you all in advance for your creative input! :happy:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll think on this for a while and get back to you :)

Reactions: The Vizier

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am giving it some though. No guarantees. It is not a subject that I can relate to very well.
Thanks for trying. The creative process is not easy, but when we come out of our comfort zone, we learn so much more. No worries whether it turns out good or bad. That is not important. It's about ideas, creativity. It's a journey, not a destination. :happy:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
were this person is being fair but firm, what concept/lesson do you want it to tell? I get the influence you want to portray but I'm not sure on what. I have lots of idea you could go across on it I just don't know were to start.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
were this person is being fair but firm, what concept/lesson do you want it to tell? I get the influence you want to portray but I'm not sure on what. I have lots of idea you could go across on it I just don't know were to start.
How about the lesson of being or the need to be fair but firm? Maybe you could tell a story where these qualities are seen to be the best way to resolve a problem. It could be that the protagonist wants to come across as a nice person, but things don't work out and he realizes the need to be fair but firm? You don't have to follow this example, the key thing is a story with a lesson of fairness backed by firmness and its benefits.

I hope that helped somewhat.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
How about the lesson of being or the need to be fair but firm? Maybe you could tell a story where these qualities are seen to be the best way to resolve a problem. It could be that the protagonist wants to come across as a nice person, but things don't work out and he realizes the need to be fair but firm? You don't have to follow this example, the key thing is a story with a lesson of fairness backed by firmness and its benefits.

I hope that helped somewhat.
okay, i get what you mean. It helped a bunch. Thank you.

I'm more of a fiction write myself with lessons to be learned.

1. There should be a time in the story where the 'system" of the problems goes crumpling because the "leader" keep passing everything by afraid of being disliked ect. You have to lead the problem down so badly the "people" have hit rock bottom. To the point its what they crave(firm guidance) and the first sign of someone gives that to them the first sign of firm guidance

or have a leader realized how hated he is be being to firm and tries to find a happy medium.

Really this is a rough draft of ideas.

Sorry if its not much

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, i get what you mean. It helped a bunch. Thank you.

I'm more of a fiction write myself with lessons to be learned.

1. There should be a time in the story where the 'system" of the problems goes crumpling because the "leader" keep passing everything by afraid of being disliked ect. You have to lead the problem down so badly the "people" have hit rock bottom. To the point its what they crave(firm guidance) and the first sign of someone gives that to them the first sign of firm guidance

or have a leader realized how hated he is be being to firm and tries to find a happy medium.

Really this is a rough draft of ideas.

Sorry if its not much
Thanks a lot for your input! I appreciate it as you have given me some food for thought. :happy:

Reactions: nikkii

·
Registered
294 Posts
So, I can think of a lot of good exemples regarding disciplining a child, although I'm not yet sure how to turn any of them into a five-minute story. Like something where the child made a big mistake, and feels terrible about it; the parent must show love and understanding for the child while at the same time helping him/her to understand that every action must have a consequence; and that even though it may have been a mistake, the child still has to do what he/she can to make amends.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I can think of a lot of good exemples regarding disciplining a child, although I'm not yet sure how to turn any of them into a five-minute story. Like something where the child made a big mistake, and feels terrible about it; the parent must show love and understanding for the child while at the same time helping him/her to understand that every action must have a consequence; and that even though it may have been a mistake, the child still has to do what he/she can to make amends.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
I don't really have any expectations about the kind of stories you could create. There really isn't any right or wrong, good or bad. It's just like we're all gathered round a campfire and we're telling stories you know. And to place some boundaries, it has to be a story about being fair yet firm.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's one I thought of. It's a "personal story," but it doesn't mean you have to follow me and tell "personal stories." Just tell whatever you like.

Coming from Singapore, I went to an all boy school for the greater part of my life. Amongst the many teachers I had, there was one that stood out the most. Let's just call him Mr X. Mr X was known for his strictness in school. You could say that he was a disciplinarian. He always carried around a cane which he used pretty liberally on his form class. He was the kind of old school, no pun intended, teacher in his late 50s who would swat students on their hands if they misbehave. Even in marking assignments he was strict. Now in a boy's school it is very easy for teenage boys to get rowdy and misbehave. But even though I only had 1 class with him, we all sat in silence and were on our best behaviour whenever he taught us.

I think he taught us maths. I can't really remember since it was so many years ago. All I do remember is my fear of him. Yes Mr X was feared and respected by all. His students generally did well, probably out of fear too. Indeed fear can be a powerful motivator. Maybe it's because I am an INFJ, but it is definitely because I empathize, but I doubt I would ever adopt his style of teaching. I do not like to rule by fear, although I have to admit that fear has its uses. That's not to say I would be a pushover, but I firmly believe in balance. In order to win the respect of people you are trying to teach and influence, you have to show you are fair, sincere and approachable. Yet at the same time you need that firmness of character to guide them. I have no problems with the fairness part, but I believe, I learned to be firm from Mr X.

Reactions: Miasmatic Domino

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
My father told me & my siblings that if we wanted to drive we had to have a job to pay for the insurance. I started working when I was 15 yrs. old. I didn't make much money because of going to school. So, I saved up my money in order to pay for the car insurance. It took me quite a while. When I got closer to the amount needed, I asked him a couple of times if I could borrow some from him. Each time he told me no. When I finally had enough together, I realized that I did not have the money to buy a car. To my amazement, my father bought me my first car. He did this with each of my siblings, as well. My father taught us to be responsible. He was very firm about that. Once we showed him that we were, he was more than fair about helping us by buying the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I first started working at 17, I lived with my mom, dad and little brother. I worked at a gas station part time evenings and weekends, and I went to school during the week. When I got my very first cheque my dad said that times were tough in the family. "Everything costs money," he explained "and now that your working, your a part of this family and its only fair that we provide for each other."

I had the instant urge to argue with him but the firmness in his request was completely earnest and understandable. To say the least this really pissed me off because every other kid I knew who was working was given free reign to squander every last dollar they earned on whatever they wanted. Their parents didnt care, it was their money and they could do what they wanted with it. In the end I held my tongue and agreed to hand over a whopping 50 percent of my earning to my parents for as long as I lived with them. It hurt alot at first but in the end I was no more broke and no less happy than my friends who actually got to keep all their money.

The years rolled along and I got completely used to giving half my earnings away everytime I got paid. Eventually after school was done I started saving a portion of my half so that I could move into an appartment with a few of my highschool buds. Once I had enough money saved up I broke the news to my parents and they were both really glad to hear I'd taken the initiative, but for an instant I noticed a weird twinkle in my dads eye.

On moving day my pop insisted that he help me out, and after all my stuff was unpacked in the new place he told me to sit with him for a minute on a bench outside. "I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciated you sacrafising half of all the money you made while you were living with us son. My confession is that we never really needed the money. I just set all this up so I could surprise you when you moved out with all the cash I tricked you into saivng." And with that he cut me a cheque for $20,000, just above half of ever cent I made since I was working under his roof.

Moral of the story is, I complied with dads firm ultimatum in and in the end he was more than fair to me...

This is alot like Daliens story, only it was many years of blatant trickery. And in case you were wondering this definently didnt happen to me, I worked with someone once who told me this story and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I think im going to pull this prank on my children if i ever have any. whether or not this was what you were looking for Vazier im sure it will add to your concept of firm fairness.

·
Super Moderator
11,643 Posts
This is alot like Daliens story, only it was many years of blatant trickery. And in case you were wondering this definently didnt happen to me, I worked with someone once who told me this story and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I think im going to pull this prank on my children if i ever have any. whether or not this was what you were looking for Vazier im sure it will add to your concept of firm fairness.
RaVenDeaLerR your story is well told and touching! :happy: I usually write more flowery than what I did here. I sort of plain Janed this story, because my stories are normally in poem form. Also, I kept thinking I need to keep this short. I tend to reach out wide & far when writing a story. In the process of writing this one, I lost those wonderful descriptive words. This little ditty was good practice for me. Oh yeah, before I forget, my story is true. Yes, tough love teaches many lessons.

·
Registered
89 Posts
dont sweat yourself dalien, this thread exists to stimulate a fellow dreamers inspiration...to be honest i wouldnt have even remembered that tale i told if it wasnt for yours to jostle it... im a perfectionist to the level of discusting, first i tried making a few different stories off the top of my head in rhyme, but it didnt flow, instead i just chose to take a truth and twist it around, believe me i wish that story of mine was true for me!!! haha I LOVE THIS PLACE MAAN! finally an outlet to my dormant skills. you know for years i've day dreamed about an island of folks jus like me, and i believe its been found! its a rush, a high in and of itself!! this forum is going to radically shape my reality and open my mind.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dont sweat yourself dalien, this thread exists to stimulate a fellow dreamers inspiration...to be honest i wouldnt have even remembered that tale i told if it wasnt for yours to jostle it... im a perfectionist to the level of discusting, first i tried making a few different stories off the top of my head in rhyme, but it didnt flow, instead i just chose to take a truth and twist it around, believe me i wish that story of mine was true for me!!! haha I LOVE THIS PLACE MAAN! finally an outlet to my dormant skills. you know for years i've day dreamed about an island of folks jus like me, and i believe its been found! its a rush, a high in and of itself!! this forum is going to radically shape my reality and open my mind.
Thanks for the input guys. Like Ravendealer, it was only when I told a personal story with elements of truth in it that a story came out. I didn't learn to be fair and firm from that teacher, but he did exist and he was terrifying haha!

I like your story for its simplicity Dalien. I mean I've read my fair share of fantastic stories. It's nice to listen to some down to earth stories once in awhile. To keep us grounded and all.

Well Ravendealer it seems like you, me and Dalien are all Aries too. I guess we're the type that just throw caution into the wind and take the plunge; it worked fine with the stories if I don't say so myself. :laughing:

·
Registered
89 Posts
BRING ON THE HARMONY Breath some of that arian fire into the introversion. The story was pretty much my first post on here, I needed to start things off with a bang. Bloody amazing, and Vizier takes the gold star for being my first friend, joy to ze world

·
Registered
726 Posts
I love this one. It's so firm and resolute in its message, and what the father chooses to do is so fair. I hope you get something out of this because it's not the same happy ending that people usually expect from short stories like this. I haven't followed strict formatting rules for stories because whenever I use the forum to post it alters any formatting, so if you choose to print it and post it somewhere you'd have tor reformat.

There once was a boy who had a terrible temper that was both explosive and oftentimes hurtful to the people around the boy. He would get into fights, say cruel things to people-- things he often did not mean,-- and he would break things. One day the boy's father took him out back to the fence at the edge of the backyard which ran the entire length of the property. The father brought along a sack of nails and a hammer and he said, "Son, from now on, every time you lose your temper, I want you to come back here and put a nail in the fence. Start at one end and work down to the other. When you get to the end of the fence, pound your way back to where you started. I don't care how many nails you put in the fence, but I want you to put one in for every time you lost your temper in a day."

One week went by and on Sunday just before sunset, the father walked his son back out to the fence. The boy stood staring at how many nails were in the fence from just one week. The boy realized that not only did the nails represent terrible things he had done, gotten in trouble and been punished for, but they were so immense in number that the boy suddenly saw how much time he was spending in anger and malice out of everyday. After a few minutes of looking at the fence in silence, the father said, "Son, you've been nailing this fence for a week, and I think you can see what you've been doing. I still want you to pound in a nail for every time you lose your temper, but as you learn to with-hold your destructive anger I will come back here and help you pull out the nails."

Months later, father and son stood before a fence that was empty of nails, and the boy was very proud of himself for having learned to control his temper. The father, however, had one last thing to help his son see. "Son," spoke the father very softly, "I am so proud of you for learning to control your temper. But I need you to look at the fence one last time." The boy stood looking at the fence his father built with his bare hands. His father had brought the boards home from the store, dug all the post holes, sanded and planed every board, and finished them all. Finally, his father had built this fence that ran all the length of the back yard so that his boy could have a safe place to play as he grew up. The son's eyes grew sad and he began to cry when he saw that the fence was ruined. "So you see." said the father. "You can never truly take back something done in anger and hate. The holes will always be left where you drove in the nails."

I hope this is something along the lines of what you wanted. :happy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anahata I hate to say it by our stories just had a royal rumble in my mind, and my story is lying on the ground bleeding profusely (a surprising number of curois nail wounds). I LOVE IT, the meaning, the sumbolism, the flow..stunning. This girl spins a meean web! your coming to my next bonfire, without question.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts