Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you created character names before for books? I don't want the names just to be random I want them to mean something relevant to their characters or for al least the name to sound a bit different and not boring - but at the same time believable. I'm really struggling with it. Do you have any tips?

·
Registered
ESTP 7w6 so/sx
88 Posts
I recommend learning a bit of onomastics or onomatology, about how names differ through class systems and how name trends work.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I just come up with sounds that I like and put them together to form a name. Sometimes the sounds are full names by themselves.

I don't worry too much about whether such names seem realistic because lots of people give their kids unique names and because my characters tend to be unique people, so unusual names fit them. Also, there are not a lot of characters in my stories, so unusual names do not stand out like they would in a whole fictional universe of weird names.

However, I sometimes add a unique prefix to a relatively common name suffix (such as -lyn or -anne) to make a unique but familiar-sounding name.

·
Registered
ISTP; 9w8/4w3/7w8 sx/so
46 Posts
I think that, first of all, it depends on your setting. If it's a tale set in a world far away that is not our Earth, I think you could have much more liberty with names and just choose whatever sounds nice and choose whatever meaning you want for your character's name, you could just say that in means something in particular in the language of that world; or you could take inspiration from ancient languages, like Latin or Ancient Greek. The last tip works if your story is set on Earth but in ancient times, as well
If your setting is the modern Earth, or a place similar to it, like is usually my case when I write something, you could look into the meaning of different names. For example, my process for naming characters is this: first of all, I consider their nationality, I look into names used in that particular country or region of the world and then I choose the one that I think best suits their personality or their arcs and evolution during the story, or even just a physical peculiarity sometimes. It's as simple as that. For example I'd choose to name a character Alexander, which comes from the Greek and means "protector of men", if defending other people and fighting injustice was an important part of their personality or story. Hope this makes it clear

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Looking up real (famous) people or being inspired by already existing characters is great. Geirge Orwell -> Orwell as a first name, the Youtube channel "Save a Fox" = Finnegan the fox = Finnegan.

What also can help would be names not chosen because of their meaning (e.g. the name means something like king and they actually are a king because most people don't have their children turn out to represent their names) but because the parents liked the name or because of the situation they are in unrelated to their own decisions and personality (unless the character is being manipulated into showing certain traits), for example:

A story of mine has a huge focus on a religious cult, so many characters have names based on various religions (gods, angels, etc.) or their names are altered a bit to sound modern/less "crazed" yet still are related to religion in some way (Eve -> Evelyn, Mary -> Rosemary), yet the characters do not necessarily represent traits associated with the names. It can be done, but does not have to be.

Looking around characters' backgrounds, books, internet, the time in which the story is set.

Reactions: secondpassing

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
172 Posts
Sometimes I will just really love a name, whether its from a tv show, a comic, or from a a personal friend of mine. recently I had trouble figuring out a name for my character. So I kinda thought about the character, she's a cyborg, with beautiful bronze skin and chillingly platinum white hair. I ended up naming her Eira, which in welsh means "snow."
I mean i usually just think what does this character feel like and go from there.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,569 Posts
Writing a sci fi series that never takes place on earth:
Sometimes I merge names, like merging my first name with the first name of my love as the primary protagonist of my series.
Sometimes I try to make a name as extreme a mispronunciation as possible of a name known in history.
Sometimes I'll pick a word/name in Spanish and base a name on that and
Sometimes, I'll just pick the most ridiculous sounding thing to highlight that other languages are hard to pronounce.
What I really wanna do next is base names of Bible names. Some names in Genesis/Chronicles are pretty exotic.

When it comes to more close to home fiction. I think about what the name means, typically.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts