Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're pretty creative people, right? We're known as the inspirers but how good are we at coming up with original ideas?

Because of my nature with Ne I always find that my creativity feeds off of other people's ideas. I get more energy and excitement from using someone's idea and expanding on it than I do trying to come up with my own creations.

Example: I was with a group of friends last night, brainstorming a game idea for a game jam (a game made under a short time pressure). I was useless at coming up with any ideas myself but as soon as someone have me a point to go on I was expanding on it enthusiastically. I can flesh out someone else's idea in detail to the point that people will often remind me that I'm going off point. It's like one idea is needed to trigger an epiphany even if that idea is as vague as "child's playground".

Likewise with storytelling I'm more enthusiastic with adapting someone else's world to build upon. Like I need a structure to wrap the web of Ne around.

How do you find inspiration?

Do you always have to draw from your environment?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
When I taught English kindergarten in Korea for a few months this year, I think by far the best part of my teaching was in making up games.

The academy had a curriculum of their own, and tbf it was a great curriculum, but I'm just characteristically bad at following any sort of structure, even if I agree with it my brain just doesn't engage with it well.. So I found myself deviating and making up games- in hindsight I actually thought having a curriculum would help me as a first-time teacher, but I would have preferred to be at a hagwon (in Korean) that just left me alone in hindsight.

For the younger kids you had to keep it simple, like they had to egghunt for pieces of paper and tell me "Is it torn?"- "It is torn/not torn", and that's how they learn torn. Pictionary was also so useful, and you could adapt that to most things. If they were learning letters I would use hula hoops and play musical chairs with them to teach them the letter O and "circle".. To teach comparative adjectives I made teams of 3, and had a paper plane throwing competition where the kids got points for throwing furthest, but each round I'd make them recite whether their plane was far, further, or furthest. I HATED prepping though, I think that's why my afternoon classes went better than my morning ones because the morning ones followed the curriculum more- the afternoon ones I literally used to improvise on the spot, it was so fun.

I dunno, the place had a lot of singing songs and dancing where I had to prepare that stuff, because it was an "allround" learning experience philosophy, but as a heavily kinaesthetic learner I was always far more effective with making up games and props on the spot. My lessons involving singing, dancing or reciting were god awful I have to admit.

Greatest thing about my new path is that there's no structure in place for it (like they try to do to teachers)- they just trust you to come in and know what you're doing, so I'll have all the leeway I want to do whatever alternative methods I think are best, which is when I'm effective.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I love to paint, but I couldn't do something abstract or something in my own mind ( like realism, but not necessarily fantasy). So, I get you. I can almost perfect an idea but it ain't mine.

Im in a Psychology Club and one girl has an idea and ill say, " Oh fantastic! We can also do A and B with a little C." I get everyone pumped up and we actually do it. But yes, it wasn't my idea. So yes, I know exactly what you mean

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
@Tridentus. I also like creating on the spot. I think some of my most shining moments have been when I'm working with teaching and adapting to the classroom on the spot with creative ideas. Anyway, you must be loving this, Tridentus. It sounds amazing! And I bet the kids love it so much-- it's probably very memorable. @Falling Foxes. Well, Shakespeare often used others ideas and expanded on them. One kind of creativity is "synergy" when you meld 2 ideas together and come up with something completely new. I bet there are times when you come up with completely new material and time periods where it's recycling and repackaging or fleshing out others ideas. I go in spurts, myself.
I do come up with new ideas often, but I remember a time when I was trying to come up with a book idea and couldn't but told myself to just pick any idea in this old historical legends book and then write about it. I picked a Viking family ( actually the tv show "The Vikings" on the History channel picked the same family lol-- actually I hate that they did this-- it made me pause my research for 6 months-- I refuse to watch that show--- oh my gosh, Alesha! Point???--- I have now been researching Vikings for 10 years. So... it's creative no matter what is the base, I think. My other book is 100% mine. There are periods of time where I have original thoughts for books almost constantly. There are a couple of alternative universes that my brain plays around with sometimes. Now doing it? Writing it? That's the hard part...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Well to answer your question you'd first have to define "original ideas." Keep in mind though that there is no such thing as a completely original idea. Every idea comes from a previous one, and everything is inspired by something else. After all, "there is nothing new under the sun."

Reactions: Jewl

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well to answer your question you'd first have to define "original ideas." Keep in mind though that there is no such thing as a completely original idea. Every idea comes from a previous one, and everything is inspired by something else. After all, "there is nothing new under the sun."
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I think for my own perspective here I was trying to get at that I can't simply sit at a desk and come up with a plan. I can't sort through all my folders of 'inspiration' and work out what I should pick and choose to work on, I guess really I need motivation. It doesn't have to be strictly enforced but just a suggestion like "Why don't you draw something underwater?" Then I can get the gears going and come up with all the various potential drawings I could do and I'm motivated to solve the task.

Maybe I'm just talking about my Te requiring an outside influence.

In other terms I would describe "original ideas" as the difference between Pixar and Disney animation. Disney takes fairytales already told and makes it into their own whilst Pixar just starts with a "What if?" question ("What if toys were alive?", "What if emotions were personified?"). Pixar has the more original ideas. You could argue that Pixar resembles more of a Ne > Si like mind whilst Disney is Si > Ne mind but most of the time when it comes to writing or drawing or something of that ilk I'm more likely to take Disney's approach unless someone else could offer me that "What if" question.

Reactions: Jeffrei

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Tridentus. I also like creating on the spot. I think some of my most shining moments have been when I'm working with teaching and adapting to the classroom on the spot with creative ideas. Anyway, you must be loving this, Tridentus. It sounds amazing! And I bet the kids love it so much-- it's probably very memorable. @Falling Foxes. Well, Shakespeare often used others ideas and expanded on them. One kind of creativity is "synergy" when you meld 2 ideas together and come up with something completely new. I bet there are times when you come up with completely new material and time periods where it's recycling and repackaging or fleshing out others ideas. I go in spurts, myself.
I do come up with new ideas often, but I remember a time when I was trying to come up with a book idea and couldn't but told myself to just pick any idea in this old historical legends book and then write about it. I picked a Viking family ( actually the tv show "The Vikings" on the History channel picked the same family lol-- actually I hate that they did this-- it made me pause my research for 6 months-- I refuse to watch that show--- oh my gosh, Alesha! Point???--- I have now been researching Vikings for 10 years. So... it's creative no matter what is the base, I think. My other book is 100% mine. There are periods of time where I have original thoughts for books almost constantly. There are a couple of alternative universes that my brain plays around with sometimes. Now doing it? Writing it? That's the hard part...
Yeah, you're right, it's probably a fluctuation really and I'm just stuck in one of those moods where I need a lot more prompts. And that's a shame, cause I actually really enjoy the show Vikings, but I understand, you need to avoid watching something that could even subconsciously influence your work so that you can keep it as 'yours'.

When it comes to creating Alternate Universes I find that I have to cultivate that for a long time and go into far too much depth about it. Instead of creating a new world for my means I'll either look to a world I created since I was a teenager or look to a world established by a different author/comic/film.

I was creating a game at one point, trying to actually make enough money to live off of it and then suddenly a game came out several months into production of the game that just so happened to have three major elements of mine. That game was Life is Strange... pretty big and much bigger than anything I could make so obviously anything that I were to release then was going to seem like a rip-off (A girl with time-travel powers, fighting against a storm with a deer spirit guiding her into the danger... haha). It seemed insane that another game came out of the same themes when we thought we were being completely original... I wonder what common inspirations we were subconsciously drawing from. That kind of killed the game for me and I think it ended up being one of the reasons our publisher pulled out... I played the game anyway, just to prove to myself that our ideas were different... I wanted to hate the game and it ended up being one of my favourite games... Oh, well.

Have you returned to the Viking book? Managed to work out a way of pulling it all together regardless? Vikings are a pretty cool theme. I like all those Pagen themes.

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah I think it's somewhat in the essence of Ne to find inspiration in one's surrondings and all, while Ni is often described as having flashes and sudden ideas out of nowhere (I still don't get that ; I still don't get Ni in fact). But as Alesha said, it can vary from time to time. Personally, I rarely come up with new ideas without any reason, my mind has to be triggered by something in the first place (and something that is often very different from what it leads me to - "oh, this tree looks like a body, it reminds me of what the prof said about headless bodies, which makes me think of this text about cyborgs, which emphasized the dichotomy between what's given ("natural") and what's socially constructed, I should create something about the body with cellophane, I like cellophane")
That's why I love to make collages : I randomly pick words, find meaning between them, organize them to makes sentences, until it becomes a text or a poem. It's fun and stimulating (and often surrealist).

But even though my ideas emerge in reaction to something, I have a hard time developing them through. Half my creations are unfinished lol.

I thought about an online brainstorming platform in which people could suggest ideas about anything so that experts and engineers in specific fields could develop the interesting ones. If I was able to program maybe I'd do it, but I'm too lazy to learn programming and I secretely hope something like that already exists so I could be among the ones suggesting stuff.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think it's somewhat in the essence of Ne to find inspiration in one's surrondings and all, while Ni is often described as having flashes and sudden ideas out of nowhere (I still don't get that ; I still don't get Ni in fact).
That's the hypothesis that I was trying to confirm really. It makes sense for inspiration to come from the environment for a Ne-dom, but perhaps I was alone.

But as Alesha said, it can vary from time to time. Personally, I rarely come up with new ideas without any reason, my mind has to be triggered by something in the first place (and something that is often very different from what it leads me to - "oh, this tree looks like a body, it reminds me of what the prof said about headless bodies, which makes me think of this text about cyborgs, which emphasized the dichotomy between what's given ("natural") and what's socially constructed, I should create something about the body with cellophane, I like cellophane")
That's why I love to make collages : I randomly pick words, find meaning between them, organize them to makes sentences, until it becomes a text or a poem. It's fun and stimulating (and often surrealist).
That actually sounds like fun... I should try that.

But even though my ideas emerge in reaction to something, I have a hard time developing them through. Half my creations are unfinished lol.
The ENFP curse.

I thought about an online brainstorming platform in which people could suggest ideas about anything so that experts and engineers in specific fields could develop the interesting ones. If I was able to program maybe I'd do it, but I'm too lazy to learn programming and I secretely hope something like that already exists so I could be among the ones suggesting stuff.
I would use that. I often turn to websites similar to get inspiration... like pinterest for visuals, random personality generators or word generators to try and spark something so I can run away with it.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Yeah, you're right, it's probably a fluctuation really and I'm just stuck in one of those moods where I need a lot more prompts. And that's a shame, cause I actually really enjoy the show Vikings, but I understand, you need to avoid watching something that could even subconsciously influence your work so that you can keep it as 'yours'.

When it comes to creating Alternate Universes I find that I have to cultivate that for a long time and go into far too much depth about it. Instead of creating a new world for my means I'll either look to a world I created since I was a teenager or look to a world established by a different author/comic/film.

I was creating a game at one point, trying to actually make enough money to live off of it and then suddenly a game came out several months into production of the game that just so happened to have three major elements of mine. That game was Life is Strange... pretty big and much bigger than anything I could make so obviously anything that I were to release then was going to seem like a rip-off (A girl with time-travel powers, fighting against a storm with a deer spirit guiding her into the danger... haha). It seemed insane that another game came out of the same themes when we thought we were being completely original... I wonder what common inspirations we were subconsciously drawing from. That kind of killed the game for me and I think it ended up being one of the reasons our publisher pulled out... I played the game anyway, just to prove to myself that our ideas were different... I wanted to hate the game and it ended up being one of my favourite games... Oh, well.

Have you returned to the Viking book? Managed to work out a way of pulling it all together regardless? Vikings are a pretty cool theme. I like all those Pagen themes.
Oh my gosh, thank you for asking! The pagan part of it is kind of my biggest passion. So, yes... it's all there, it's just writing it that I need to get more limbered up about. I wrote a solid chapter 1 (like a chapter I don't want to change and that my writing group loved) and then in chapter 2 I was writing and my flow went the wrong direction and it became me just vomiting up 10 years of research. The thing is... the story is THERE. It's a legend mixed with historical and archeological. So I don't even need to come up with an outline. I just wanted it all to be SO authentic and now it seems like I enjoy research more than writing. I would like to start a writer's prompts thread... I hope others will also write so that we can all bounce ideas and sounds and sentences off each other. By the way, that game sounded like fun. I just asked my kids about "Life is Strange". They said they heard of it and heard it was good. It sounds like you better pounce on your ideas! Wow... words for ENFPs to try to live by.

Reactions: Falling Foxes

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't always need to borrow off of ideas, but it can help a lot. Often as not, just being around someone else's creations is enough to get me started.

Other times, some people's creations are so out of my league that it can actually squash my desire to create.
Example:
Riusuke Fukahori’s Lifelike Goldfish Painted in Acrylic Between Layers of Resin | Colossal
I agree, but then I'm also convinced that I'm a good artist that I could do what they do if I dedicated myself to it... I just need to dedicate myself though.

Reactions: ricericebaby

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
If you left me alone in a room somewhere and said, "Invent a new story that you haven't previously pondered," I would epic fail.

It used to bother me a lot that I couldn't be creative without "inspiration" or something to build off of, especially because there's so much (often false) emphasis on Ne's being super creative and original; we are, but we're usually twisting / improving / riffing something that comes from the external world.

I have to have a place to launch from, when I start a new story, or book, or article, something to draw upon. It doesn't just come from inside myself automatically; it has to BEGIN.

The secret of sustained creativity is to expose yourself almost constantly to creative output from other people, so that you never run short of good ideas. It's not wrong to borrow inspiration, because I guarantee as a Ne, it'll never be exactly like what inspired it. In fact, I often look at something and think, "How could this be different from that? What would be bigger / better / more incredible?"

This is, btw, why I have a hard time watching un-creative shows. I lasted four seasons of "Downton Abbey" with me screaming, "How could you miss this much better plot twist?? it's like SO OBVIOUS?" before I called it quits, much to the relief of my family. LOL

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you left me alone in a room somewhere and said, "Invent a new story that you haven't previously pondered," I would epic fail.

It used to bother me a lot that I couldn't be creative without "inspiration" or something to build off of, especially because there's so much (often false) emphasis on Ne's being super creative and original; we are, but we're usually twisting / improving / riffing something that comes from the external world.

I have to have a place to launch from, when I start a new story, or book, or article, something to draw upon. It doesn't just come from inside myself automatically; it has to BEGIN.

The secret of sustained creativity is to expose yourself almost constantly to creative output from other people, so that you never run short of good ideas. It's not wrong to borrow inspiration, because I guarantee as a Ne, it'll never be exactly like what inspired it. In fact, I often look at something and think, "How could this be different from that? What would be bigger / better / more incredible?"

This is, btw, why I have a hard time watching un-creative shows. I lasted four seasons of "Downton Abbey" with me screaming, "How could you miss this much better plot twist?? it's like SO OBVIOUS?" before I called it quits, much to the relief of my family. LOL
All of this, yup, I agree with. You explained what I had rattling in my head but didn't know how to describe. I do find myself leaning back on old ideas more and more if someone asks for me to come up with something on the spot. I didn't when I was younger I guess because I had less to draw from but then again I did also used to believe that I was cool with my half Angel half demon broken child... So ignore little FF, he was embarrassing.

And yeah, we try to warp others ideas a little, sometimes I liken it to Dr Frankenstein with the act of splicing ideas together to create something new.

Also I'm so glad that I can turn off my critical creative brain to enjoy mindless media. Obviously when I come across creative media it's like a sudden radiation of this being what I was waiting for the whole time!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(For those of you following my other thread, sorry for the repetition.)

A point that reminded me of all this solitude talk was I was watching a panel of comic book artists about where their inspirations come from. They all got around the table until this one guy piped up and said "I don't read comic books." People thought that he was joking until he clarified, "I don't look at other comic book artist's work because then I'll be influenced by them. My artwork needs to be my own, it's my job."

I started with the same reaction everyone else was quietly hiding like, first of all, that sounds pretentious and second of all influence can be a good thing to challenge your style and improve it.

But it got me thinking... Some of the videogame art directors that I aspire to be like take inspiration from other media, like oil paintings, origami and paper crafts and other places. They don't remain stale in their medium because they didn't approach games from the perspective of a 'game developer' nor a 'gamer'.

Now the comic artist in question did not seem to do that as his style just looked like it had been preserved in a style from the 90s.

So isolation: does it aid artwork?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
(For those of you following my other thread, sorry for the repetition.)

A point that reminded me of all this solitude talk was I was watching a panel of comic book artists about where their inspirations come from. They all got around the table until this one guy piped up and said "I don't read comic books." People thought that he was joking until he clarified, "I don't look at other comic book artist's work because then I'll be influenced by them. My artwork needs to be my own, it's my job."

I started with the same reaction everyone else was quietly hiding like, first of all, that sounds pretentious and second of all influence can be a good thing to challenge your style and improve it.

But it got me thinking... Some of the videogame art directors that I aspire to be like take inspiration from other media, like oil paintings, origami and paper crafts and other places. They don't remain stale in their medium because they didn't approach games from the perspective of a 'game developer' nor a 'gamer'.

Now the comic artist in question did not seem to do that as his style just looked like it had been preserved in a style from the 90s.

So isolation: does it aid artwork?
I think that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want to foster as unique a style as possible, or does the need for inspirational material related to your work outweigh that desire?

That is, seeing work that relates to what you're doing can help motivate you to create more of your own work, but it potentially compromises your style. In my case, sometimes that risk is worth it.

Copying elements of someone else's style can also expand your own, not in the sense of copying theirs', but of making you realize that your way of doing things isn't the only way of doing things and can encourage exploration.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want to foster as unique a style as possible, or does the need for inspirational material related to your work outweigh that desire?
To find a style of my own. Not necessarily as 'unique' as possible but to a degree.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
I think finding your own style comes after experimentation.

I used to copy the writing style of other authors / writers a lot in the learning process -- but now I've fallen into my own groove, since trying them on made me see what did and didn't work for me.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think finding your own style comes after experimentation.

I used to copy the writing style of other authors / writers a lot in the learning process -- but now I've fallen into my own groove, since trying them on made me see what did and didn't work for me.
Yup. That's pretty much what I had in in mind. It can be helpful for learning and trying new things, just like different genres of music or kinds of clothing, until you find what you really like and make it your own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts