Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D you find that you need help with your creative ideas

?

Have you ever had really, really good ideas that just died off?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "need help". Do you mean manifesting the idea, i.e. taking the idea from your head and creating the physical embodiment of that idea that can be shown to other people? Or do you mean fleshing out an undeveloped idea?

I find that people who live in the world of ideas overvalue the idea and undervalue the execution. Lots of people thought up the idea about a young orphan boy who has to learn to use his magical powers to overcome some evil overlord and save the kingdom, but only a few actually created Harry Potter or Star Wars.

Linus Torvalds said it best "People like to idolize the "ideas" and "inspiration", but in the end, almost anybody can have an idea. Getting things actually done is where people stumble."

For me execution of an idea requires to things:

1. Skills necessary to execute
2. Emotional energy necessary to execute

Skills is just practice. Even on the days, I don't feel like writing, I'm writing something. I subscribe to the 10,000 hours idea. It takes 10,000 hours to get good at something. If I need skills outside my skill sets to execute and idea like a business plan then I hire those skill sets.

2. Emotional energy requires using intrinsic motivators: autonomy, mastery and purpose.

Externals help in the creative process. Everything is derivative in some way and we build on and branch off the ideas of others. Originality is a myth. So I find it very hard to write without seeing what's being written. Also, external feedback for me helps tremendously in the revision process.

Reactions: Banned and Zebedee
1 - 2 of 2 Posts