Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wrote a post on Rodion.
Let me know what do you think.

Raskolnikov from ‘’Crime and Punishement’’ (book)

MBTI TYPE: INTJ
Dominant function: Introverted intuition (Ni)

Raskolnikov has no friends and he lives in total isolation from the world. It even gets to the point of insanity or hermetic. He lives away from society, and doesn't socialize much. He develops his own perceptions about the world and law and he is convinced that he is right. He has a very deep insight on human condition and he so, that leads him to categorize people into ‘’ordinary’’ and ‘’extraordinary’’. The extraordinary people would have permission to commit crimes or to surpass law, so in a certain way they are above it. Raskolnikov feels like he is an ‘’extraordinary’’ man and that the crime he committed should be compared to the great acts of Napoleon. He builds this delusion, as if it was a cult of personality around him, and he doesn’t even consider the person he murdered a ‘’person’’. There are who say that his actions manifest a certain mysticism, with strong association with dreams, visions of the future. Like Jung describes the introverted intuitive type as being a mystical seer, a great man gone wrong, Raskolnikov fits pretty well in that description.

Auxiliary function: Extroverted thinking (Te)
Raskolnikov is extremely articulated and with a strong logical side to it. His mind works on deductive thinking, and he is always aware of other’s people’s arguments flaws and he can easily win out any argument. He is logical, quick witted and he tends to use logic to control the environment around him. He planned the murder of the lady long before doing that. Plus, he is a student of law, and he is aware of what is legal or not. He has a strong sense of justice, and he kinda considers himself above the common folk, like said before.

Tertiary function: Introverted feeling (Fi)
This function plays a strong role on the character. He does things on his own code of moral values, without relying on what kind of behavior is expected from him. He is deeply passionate and interestingly he can be a sort of a giver sometimes, giving all his money. However, he really relies on his isolation and to a point, he literally abandons his family, leaving them very concerned about his mental health state.

Inferior function: Extroverted sensing (Se)

Raskolnikov’s repressed function. He has a deep detachment from the society which he lives in, he even doesn’t care of parties or other pleasurable things. He is deeply anguished by the action he has done and he experiences the depths of human consciousness according to his own actions and behaviors.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I'm reading this book right now :)

I agree that Raskalnikov is very probably an INTJ. That Ni/Fi loop 8D His Ni struggle was so relatable, in debating whether or not something was the proper course of action and then just going for it after deciding it was correct without looking back.

(Assuming you're okay with talking about the plethora of other characters here) I am convinced Razumikhin is an ENTP. The Ne is obvious, and I think his Fe comes out in how he wants a good family environment, he wants community, he wants to act as a brother and take care of Rodya's family. I guess an ENFP would do that too, but Razumikhin's reasons seem more Fe than Fi.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I agree. I also think that Sonya is probably ISFJ.

Can you type the characters from other Dostoevsky books if you have read them ?

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I agree. I also think that Sonya is probably ISFJ.

Yes regarding Sonya! I was surprised by the ISFJ typing when I first met her, but I just got past the Bible scene, and... yeah, she's ISFJ as they come, isn't she? She's absolutely adorable, I turned to my ISFJ room mate when reading and announced to her that I had just found my favorite fictional character of all time.

Reactions: iNdependent

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Glad to see someone else saw the INTJ in Raskolnikov lol. My typings for other characters:

Razumihin - ENFJ
Dounia - INFJ
Porfiry - xNTP
Katerina Ivanovna - ESFJ
Svidrigailov - ENTJ
Sonya - ISFJ
Luzhin - ESTJ

Too many J type characters...reeeee.

Reactions: iNdependent

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mair, if you are still around, here are some threads about this topic:
http://www.personalitycafe.com/guess-type/94897-brothers-karamazov-dostoyevski.html

http://www.personalitycafe.com/guess-type/539866-dostoyevskys-idiot.html

http://www.personalitycafe.com/guess-type/181611-dostoevskys-characters.html

(These threads should be bound together somehow, like a "related threads" group or sth.)

I didn't think thoroughly about the other characters so I won't say anything, but I completely agree with Sonya as ISFJ (because she's so obvious) and with Raskolnikov as INTJ. I wondered about his type a lot, definitely IN, I could see Fi in him so INTJ seemed most likely. A dysfunctional one (looping) makes perfect sense, it explains why he was "showing" so much Fi, to the point where I considered INFP as a possibility.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts