Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As said above, critique (but not too critically) the previous poster's avatar as if they're a work of art.

I specify "previous two", so to insure that no-one gets skipped. Obviously the first poster doesn't need to critique the previous two posters' avatars as there aren't two previous posters. The first two posters can skip me if they so wish (unless they're feeling particularly brave). Hell, if you want you can critique all the previous posters' avatars.

It goes without saying that you're free to critique it in any manner you wish. For example you can critique it as if abstract, surrealist, modern or impressionist art etc.

TL;DR: critique the previous two poster's avatars in any way you want.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hmmm...

*strokes imaginary goatee*

Part of me wants to say it's derivative, but then again, by the very act of being such, it makes a veracious statement about internet culture. After all, the internet thrives on regurgitation of existing memes withonly the most superficial of alterations, and whether this is symptomatic of a cultural stagnation or a revolution, i still can't decide...

As shallow as the phenomenon of endlessly repeating memes might appear to those of us who have internalized established cultural conventions to the point of rigidity, it does take audience participation as an art form to groundbreaking new levels. Degeneracy or advancement? The verdict is still out, but what is certain is that the artist is hellbent on confronting us with this dichotomy. "Hey, society! Here's a mirror!", it appears to say with an audacity that is surpassed only by its tenacious intransigence.

It speaks volumes of the power of this piece that it shines such an incandascent light upon this yet unsolidified plot of our cultural identity. On the other hand, true art can only exist for its own sake, and this work has the function of an alias. Therefore, it's shit.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
The good - The tones, shading is nice, it has a smudged effect like charoal(charcoal is not an easy medium to work with). It has a nice watery, washed out effect around the edges which makes for a more atmospheric effect. The proportions are also nicely balanced, the angle of the face looking slightly down, it gives the chracter a more menacing look, mishievious which is what makes this picture work. The edginess draws me in.

The bad - It sort of looks a bit cheap, the teeth look corny and it reminds me of my younger cousin's emoish, generic comic collection.

The good - This one kind of lets loose, no boundaries, quite gritty, he/she looks psychotic and flirting with the edges of insanity. It looks like it belongs on some awesome band cover. It shows the face in a less than flattering light by mainstream standards which yet is flattering in it's own right.

The bad - It's a bit scary and feel a bit sick staring at it for too long as if that mouth was gonna swallow me up.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
@Cephalonimbus - I think it is marvelous what you have done to the cover art of this King Crimson album. I like how the face looks less like it is terrified of the world around it, and merely terrified of something that may have flown in front of its nose. I'm sorry, I don't have a goatee or an imaginary one, so I can't speak much more than this. Although I have always admired the detail of the cavities, as if they were mountains or caves, reaching deep inside the skull. Dry, no moisture.
@mushr00m - When I imagine touching this photo, I would expect it to have ridges, like a 3D sticker. And I hear it making a stiff floppy sound. I wonder what she is looking at, and if whatever it is, is making her shoot lasers from her eyeballs. Angry or psychedelic? I don't know. Her face is calm, yet perhaps there is a sharp feeling there.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
@mushr00m It has a very surrealist feel to it, like something on the edge of a dream. Looks almost like it could be mixed medium or photograph too. Reminds me of the stars. The figure's torso blends into the background, while their gaze is toward the light, reminding us that we are all part of the deeper cosmos, and as we gaze into the light we gaze into ourselves.

@ethylester Very abstract, but has a modern feel to it. Lot's of rhythm. Forces you to look at it, makes the eyes wander. Geometric shapes are implied yet remain formless, suggesting the unforeseen possibilities of the technological age. It's like finding beauty and expression through the chaos of the modern age.

·
Registered
749 Posts
@KindOfBlue06 Definitely a sexual felling comes from it. I really like how their bodies could become part of the landscape. If blurred, her chin could be a mountain and her arm could be a series of slopes.
@morpheusx66 Eh. I get the feeling that the person is an artist seeking art. Not too troubled but kind of earnest.

·
Registered
568 Posts
@KindOfBlue06 Definitely a sexual felling comes from it. I really like how their bodies could become part of the landscape. If blurred, her chin could be a mountain and her arm could be a series of slopes.
@morpheusx66 Eh. I get the feeling that the person is an artist seeking art. Not too troubled but kind of earnest.
Heh, it's Eric Burdon from the Animals.

Always kind of saw him as a more emotionally detached, pragmatic version of Jim Morrison. Still cool as fuck though, and intense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - Oh! I really like photography, or at least, observing it.
Black and white photos have a really artistic feel to them and as much as I enjoy color over monochrome, I still appreciate it when black and whit is applied to the correct photographs -- a picture of a rainbow or a field of flowers would look rather regrettable in black and white, don't you think? But it looks great in your photo, it fits the concept very well. I've always liked the "Photographer holding the camera" type of concept and that's basically what your avatar is expressing to my eyes, if that's it's objective then it's doing a great job.

2 - Woah! is that inside a crystal or something? it looks really beautiful! it gives off a very colorful feeling and the combination of colors is very eye-catching, I'd definitely take look at it if I saw it from the corner of my eye while scrolling. If it is inside a crystal of some sort then it's an amazing concept for a photograph, very unusual and interesting. It looks really good and feels very artistic! I like it better than #1, though both have their individual plus points.

Good luck with mine //distant laughter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts