Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know usually us INTPs would scoff at the idea at something so superficial, but even with our strictly logical disposition, there always is something that can break this deep down inside and leave us just admiring the attractiveness of another person.

Perhaps maybe the reason why many of us think another person is attractive is because he/she fits all the logical qualifications in our head for being so, but maybe sometimes we want to take a break from seeing everything so calculated and integrated that something as silly and stupid as a crush can seem reliving in a sense.

It will be interesting to see the INTP opinion especially because they are thought to be one of the most romantically uninvolved types in MBTI, and if they do have feelings for another, they isually are incredibly secretive of it.

This is really just a study to see what certain types of people the INTPs tend to gravitate to.

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
I know usually us INTPs would scoff at the idea at something so superficial, but even with our strictly logical disposition, there always is something that can break this deep down inside and leave us just admiring the attractiveness of another person.

Perhaps maybe the reason why many of us think another person is attractive is because he/she fits all the logical qualifications in our head for being so, but maybe sometimes we want to take a break from seeing everything so calculated and integrated that something as silly and stupid as a crush can seem reliving in a sense.

It will be interesting to see the INTP opinion especially because they are thought to be one of the most romantically involved types in MBTI, and if they do have feelings for another, they isually are incredibly secretive of it.

This is really just a study to see what certain types of people the INTPs tend to gravitate to.
I'm a little confused about what you are asking? Are you asking about the philosophical idea of what a crush means for INTPs or are you asking for a detailed description of who might be a crush for us personally as individuals? My crushes have all been so varied that I don't know if I can even describe commonality between them. I think a lot of it depends on nature and nurture. Nature, who we are biologically programmed to be attracted to and Nurture, our life experience since birth that have conscious and subconscious effects on who we are attracted to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Either or. Honestly it's more focused on the INTP relation with other types. For example I seem to be attracted to opposites such as ESFJs or ESFPs, mostly being charmed by the extroverted and feeling aspects of their personality which is something that is hard for me to express.

You can also talk about specifics if you want, it really is one's choice on what to do with the discussion.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yes, the person fits the logical qualifications in my head. But the qualifications can vary: the type of person, or the type of relationship they seem to want. Or they pay attention to me (in the right way) and that makes me feel wanted. I admit that usually I'm not all that picky.

Any kind of initial crush/attraction will be superficial, because people are so complicated and we can't see who they really are or what a relationship with them will be like.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Instead of considering what types I would date, it's much more efficient to cross out the ones I never will date.

Types I never want in a relationship:

- ESFJ (They are too illogical and irrational. I also would not want to date my mom.)

- ISFJ (Too similar to ESFJ.)

- ESTJ (They micromanage everything you do and can get really manipulative if they don't get their way.)

- ISTJ (Too traditional and single-minded. I have 2 of them as friends but they would bore me in a relationship.)

- ISFP (My Ex... That is all...)

- ESFP (Tend to be very shallow when looking for partners. Not necessarily, just generally.)

- INFP (I would go mental from the amount of drama they create for themselves. I have multiple as friends, but I sometimes get annoyed at them as well.)

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I had at least one INTP want to be with me. It didn't end well. He was very nice, good to talk to, I enjoyed his company but he was so very awkward the minute he acknowledged his feelings were there to stay. Trying to rationalise his feelings always was unnerving to me.

I get this is what INTPs do, being logical thinkers and all. But the whole, "I must be able to explain love (and all subsequent emotions) with rationality and logic" kind of killed it for me. And I don't think even he knew how to deal with his newfound feelings. As an INFJ, I don't feel the need to be able to 'logically explain' something as awe-inspiring as love, that's where we differed.

I think he felt most comfortable around other introverts, didn't feel pressured to open up. Extroverts were not his game, but everyone is different. He also seemed to have a thing for F types romantically, at least that's what I gathered, but they confused him.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Right now, I'm having a mind towards ExTJs, but it varies a lot with time. Used to be easily attracted to NFs as well, but right now I don't mind dropping having to deal with all the inconsistency that they offer. They're fascinating beings and awesome friend material, of course, but not the kind I'd trust completely with deeper connections. SFs I know are often very attractive, but generally not to a deeper level. They rarely get to "know" me, and I have a hard time understanding them better than what surface level tells. Sometimes I wonder if there's more to them than that at all, but it's also a little bit endearing.

But that's just how I generally view what I'm compatible with. I'm not gonna pretend like I can predict whomever I will crush on next, so I don't have a standard in mind whenever I'm actually dating. Could be any type, and at that moment the whole previous compatible-chart I've made would've been completely changed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
long-time famous person crush, John Cusack.

Other crushes through life usually ENTP or ENFP. I would pick them out on my own, and become all stalkery for 2-5 years with no intention of them ever knowing.

God forbid though, one of them pick me out of the crowd first. Once I realized it, I would literally forget how to sentence whenever in their company.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had at least one INTP want to be with me. It didn't end well. He was very nice, good to talk to, I enjoyed his company but he was so very awkward the minute he acknowledged his feelings were there to stay. Trying to rationalise his feelings always was unnerving to me.

I get this is what INTPs do, being logical thinkers and all. But the whole, "I must be able to explain love (and all subsequent emotions) with rationality and logic" kind of killed it for me. And I don't think even he knew how to deal with his newfound feelings. As an INFJ, I don't feel the need to be able to 'logically explain' something as awe-inspiring as love, that's where we differed.

I think he felt most comfortable around other introverts, didn't feel pressured to open up. Extroverts were not his game, but everyone is different. He also seemed to have a thing for F types romantically, at least that's what I gathered, but they confused him.
lmao

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I used to have a crush every year when I was a kid, until grade 9 in high-school. I haven't developed a crush on anyone since then, even though it's been over 12 years. I'm pretty sure I must be broken or something, but I'm not sure how or why. Doesn't make any sense, but eh...

·
Registered
28,816 Posts
It would be best to not develop a crush, those feelings just lead to insecurity. I could be so funny and "confident" around someone, that is until it comes to exposing feelings. Crushes put people on pedestals, then every following effort is predetermined to fail. Why do I bother?
There is the alternative of making people who I don't have a crush on like me, but there is no soul in that nor is there a motivation.
Life of loneliness here I come.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
We do not need necessarily logically explain every emotion if we are not required to communicate it. Unlike NFs we need to logically grasp the concept to be able to communicate it (unless it is with someone who gets a lot just from bits and intuition).
Inf Fe lets us feel emotion, when we feel it. Si conserves the feeling so we can remember. But without Ti-Ne, its just very personal, non-shareable thing.

I used to have a crush every year when I was a kid, until grade 9 in high-school. I haven't developed a crush on anyone since then, even though it's been over 12 years. I'm pretty sure I must be broken or something, but I'm not sure how or why. Doesn't make any sense, but eh...
I had crush in 5-6th grade. Comparable crush came later at roughly 30, when I was wondering if I lost the ability to feel romantically.

It would be best to not develop a crush, those feelings just lead to insecurity. I could be so funny and "confident" around someone, that is until it comes to exposing feelings. Crushes put people on pedestals, then every following effort is predetermined to fail. Why do I bother?
There is the alternative of making people who I don't have a crush on like me, but there is no soul in that nor is there a motivation.
Life of loneliness here I come.
There will come a time when you will see that you can deeply appreciate without yourself being insecure and without there being pedestal. Everything seems so much bigger than life when you are young.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
We do not need necessarily logically explain every emotion if we are not required to communicate it. Unlike NFs we need to logically grasp the concept to be able to communicate it (unless it is with someone who gets a lot just from bits and intuition).
Inf Fe lets us feel emotion, when we feel it. Si conserves the feeling so we can remember. But without Ti-Ne, its just very personal, non-shareable thing.

I had crush in 5-6th grade. Comparable crush came later at roughly 30, when I was wondering if I lost the ability to feel romantically.

There will come a time when you will see that you can deeply appreciate without yourself being insecure and without there being pedestal. Everything seems so much bigger than life when you are young.
INFJs need to logically grasp a concept or feeling too if we're required to communicate what we're thinking. We can't extract the image straight from our minds, otherwise we would. I'm sure all N types feel that way. Whatever it is, it needs to be translated into a language everyone else can understand.

But that is what I meant with INTPs. I hardly think every action in their life needs a long, logical rationalisation behind it, but when trying to elaborate on something like love to another person - that's when trying to explain it with logic and at the same time, passionate conviction can come across as very awkward for us both.

There are some things I just 'get' with another N type. They're not necessarily using the right words but I 'get' what they're explaining or getting at. However, if someone has already shocked me by their confession of love, I don't want to guess or assume exactly what they mean and how they mean it. I'll ask directly "What exactly do you mean by that?" and I did, and that is where the awkwardness began.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Do you know what changed to make you develop one again?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Do you know what changed to make you develop one again?
It's like inspiration. It does not come in regular intervals.
But I guess you must be ready and looking around so you do not miss it.

For me I guess it requires combination of seeing both physical and non-physical beauty at once (a sincere warm smile is one of the signs, curious interesting mind another) in a bit extraordinary quality. Sometimes it can happen quite fast, sometimes it may develop over years. I actually had 2 in roughly year - examples of both - exquisite stranger and former classmate when our class met after years.

But anyway, I do not think crush is necessary for romantic relationship.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
once you realize you are an INTP. you either will become more INTPish. or instead try to evolve and be more open to emotions (without logical explanations).
LOL. No. Realizing you are INTP has nothing to do with it. It's all about accepting that you do not need to be perfectly understood to open self.
It's either others asking questions about our emotions that forces us to analyse it or expect some kind of action based on emotion. Using emotions as motor for action (while mind steers it anyway for us) is quite natural for us without even thinking about it. It's about openness to others with and not being sure how.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I don't even know if I've ever had a proper crush or did someone just put something in my drink or what.
Anyway I didn't get these fuzzy feelings until late-ish middle school, I suppose. I think that in my case it's more of a strong appreciation than a desire to somehow be close to that person. I don't generally like endearments and those "I love you"s too much, so sappy. I also gather a lot of information and facts about a person in this situation and I've noticed I talk about them to others...which is embarrassing.

When it comes to types, I've noticed that my "types" have been other NTs mostly. Sometimes strangely some xxFPs, but that hasn't been a good kind of affection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts