Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever felt so crappy and unable to get away that they start crying in public?

I have been so sad recently, wanting to cry and trying to hold it back.

I don't know what I am supposed to do.

can I cry?
or should I just keep trying to hold it back...

the specific moment I am talking about was in a restaurant with my mom, and nothing anyone does really helps... i just don't really know what to feel or do.
I think my friends are trying to help me but I dunno. I just don't want to cry and make people feel all awkward and shitty, or i guess more like. I don't want to feel all awkward and shitty.

I guess thats the thing to avoid in life huh...

blah.

·
Registered
836 Posts
welcome to life? haha.

depending on circumstance, i am learning to just embrace it. i have realized that i cry at: weddings, funerals, when people leave my life (graduation, change of job, etc.), when i see others crying, and very occasionally during conflict. i hate it. i wish i could control it in some sort of way... but i cant.

so ive learned to just accept it.

that doesnt really make it 'right' i guess. but i see no other way around this issue.

ps, i have before been so depressed before that ive started crying in broad daylight, alone, but at that point - with no external factors, i recognized that i was becoming depressed.... and tried my darnedest to stave it off.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. I can sympathize. Lately I, too, have been feeling pretty crappy and shitty and awkward.

I don't like crying in public, but I've been known to do it. But when I'm really, really upset, the last thing I want is people trying to make me feel better or sympathize, which is what crying prompts from people.

I don't know what to tell you. I think this is sort of a personal call. However, you might want to consider talking to a professional. You deserve to feel better.

·
Registered
INFJ
1,326 Posts
I always found that holding back the tears makes it harder to keep your composure.

The only way I've managed to avert total meltdown is to disconnect with myself.

I was hanging out with a friend once, and it was a terrible few months... I was feeling miserable, and he just said some things that really got to me. We were in class (alone) and I lost my composure >__>; I was embarrassed and began packing up my things to leave campus. I didn't want to be seen by anyone else actually. I didn't even want to be consoled on any level, I just wanted to go home and back in my room.

If you're feeling like maybe it'll help to cry in public, give it a try. Maybe it'll help, you never know what'll happen unless you allow it.

I always find staying in bed, with a comfy blanket, crying a little, and watching a movie helps make me feel a bit better.

Think comfy socks, blanket, ice cream, a big pillow, and a good movie~! Feel better ~*~*~*~!

Reactions: specofturquoise

·
Registered
682 Posts
I know how that is, being conflicted on whether to cry in public or not. I would suggest running to the bathroom to cry, let it out, and come back a little refreshed? Hide behind something and quickly wipe your tears? That didn't work for me, but then again, I couldn't stop crying because my ex/boyfriend broke up with me and just the thought of him had my eyes teary. And I did cry in public, at work, in front of customers. It was embarrassing and depressing at the same time.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
When feel like I am about to cry, I usually end up crying no matter where I am. And sadly enough, I have been prone to crying in my life.

Though when out in public, I tend to hide it so no one can see. I have also mastered the ability to cry quietly, so no one hears me either, which I actually find something interesting. What I mean is I have also faked cried before as a joke amongst my friends, and to my surprise they believed me. Of course, I could not make tears come, so I just hid my face and made 'crying noises'. Some now claim they will never trust me when I am crying again. But I told them if there are tear in my eyes and I am not making a sound, it's genuine.

But last year during school, I never seemed to care if people were around when I started to cry. But, I was also going through one of the hardest times in my life. I was angry and upset all the time, but that's done with now and I am happier. Though because I was such a terrible wreck last year, I try harder than ever to keep my emotions hidden. I hate it when people begin to think I am neurotic (even though I probably am).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I think I have a problem with crying. I am very good at disassociating myself from any situation. So I don't really feel much these days, a lot of numbness. I hope that you are able to work out whatever is causing this pain, that is never fun. I think the last time I cried was a family members death 15 or so years ago.

I know this probably doesn't seem that positive, but I think it's pretty cool that you feel stuff. That the feelings are still a part of you, I think that is healthy. What I don't think is healthy is having feelings but learning to immediately shut them down, which is what I have done. It makes me come off as very cold and uncaring.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I try to find a place where no one is in public? :tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts