Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As thinkers we're not expected to cry much.
For me? I do cry. Like , once or twice in within 2-5 months.
I don't cry for too long either.
Though sometimes, when I am going through some tough time, or problems, I just can't help it, but cry when I am alone, or when I listen to a sad song/music.
So yeah. I only cry for a reason that I think is worthy crying(breaking up isn't considered a worthy reason in my opinion) , or when I am treated unfairly. Even when I am watching this sad scene in a movie , or news , or even reading it in a book, I do drop few tears.
So, I wonder: do other INTPs cry? (Or generally, thinkers)
How often do you cry?
For how long?
And what kind of things make you cry?

Reactions: MrFrenk and Lummex

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I cry maybe once every 1-2 months. I'm more likely to cry when I have PMS but not necessarily. I guess for me I'm most likely to cry over death of a loved one or a personal failure. Once in a great while a sad song or movie can do this but this is very seldom. Once I start crying its hard to stop because then I'll start thinking of other sad stuff. I try to keep crying under control even when I'm all alone. I like having control of my emotions and when I cry I feel like I've lost control which just makes me feel worse. I also get a massive headache if I cry too much- another reason to avoid crying.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Heck, we're human, not robots, we react in similar fashion to most things life throws at us, but our crying threshold is pretty high.

I don't tend to cry at soppy movies, or sad songs, unless the song seems to be singing my life (which seems to happen when an INTP is at a low point). I cry probably about once a week or two weeks, and it is usually if I am under some sort of stress. I cried last night actually, won't go into why... I have known myself to cry completely randomly - symptoms of stress/depression, but although I don't particularly like crying - I'm feeling emotions that I don't necessarily comprehend or control - thinking about it, it's a healthy way of letting out anything that has been pent up for too long.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've actually been crying a lot lately. Once I allow myself to feel the emotions, there's no turning back. Now certain songs make me cry. Certain scenes in a movie make me cry. Heck, even simple questions, like "how are you feeling?", make me cry. It's an absolutely nightmare! :laughing:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've actually been crying a lot lately. Once I allow myself to feel the emotions, there's no turning back. Now certain songs make me cry. Certain scenes in a movie make me cry. Heck, even simple questions, like "how are you feeling?", make me cry. It's an absolutely nightmare! :laughing:
That's actually funny to picture.
"Hey what's up??"
"Oh I'm.... WAAAAAAAAAA! "

I cry once every two years or so, though when I do, it's pretty bad...

But I do get teary-eyed once in a while, usually while listening to some song, sometimes watching a movie.

There are some strange occurrences though, when I'm lying down, trying to sleep, but I'm actually thinking intensely about some abstract topic, and then a tear rolls down my cheek. And I realize that while I was consciously contemplating this abstract topic, there was some part of me, somewhere, that was becoming increasingly sad... for some unexplained reason.

Creepy. :frustrating:

·
Registered
384 Posts
I barely ever cry. I'm so disconnected from any emotion but anger that it becomes hard to feel them. This is fortunate because I'm afraid of being weak and have a need to best those around me so its hard for me to let myself be emotional. This is god for me because I don't have to deal with emotion day to day and my world remains logical and ideal for me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think I shed a single tear when my parents got divorced but even then I was kind of expecting it so it didn't bother me too much.

I cried when I got hurt when I was little but I don't think that counts.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I rarely cry and I never cry when I'm around others because when I do people will try to comfort me or to cheer me up which makes me feel really misunderstood and even more depressed than I already felt before. :sad: To me trying to cheer someone up or comfort them is the ultimate proof that you don't understand them because when you do this you are diverting attention from the cause of the other's pain instead of helping him or her face it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I never cry around other people, except for a few times, when I was a small child. Even then, when my older brother hit me with serious intentions, I laughed at him instead of crying, to mock his attempts at abusing me. When I am by myself, I have cried, usually at the rate of once every few years, but hardly in the nose-bubble, crinkle-face, wailing type of cry. I heard stories that I never cried as a baby, but instead, was always pleasant, occasionally cooing and pooping. Even at funerals, for both close friends and relatives, everyone I knew and never saw cry before eventually broke down, but I do not approach traumas in that way, even when I am sad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I must confess that I am a bit surprised...I think that it depends not on your type but rather on your age, the setting, background, cause etc.
Anyway, my humble opinion is that generally INTPs are not the types who would cry. At least I don't get the same emotion as the others on a funeral for example, if that person wasn't someone close to me. Actually if I were to remember something funny I'd chuckle :crazy:

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's never been as likely for me to start bawling over pictures of sad orphans on the news as for my Feeling family and friends, but I've spent a long period of time in a bad situation where I was exhausted, manipulated, and constantly attacked, and it got so emotionally draining and upsetting that I did cry quite frequently...for an hour or so as much as once a week. It's not really something I'm proud of. =/ But yeah...INTPs experience emotions just as surely as anyone else.

One thing I cannot do: Cry on cue, which is dreadful because I'm in theatre. I'm very good at simulating sobs and a shaky voice, but I just can't conjure up actual tears. Another actor (a Feeler who was excellent at crying on cue) told me to just think of something sad---but the problem is, that's just not enough to make this Thinker cry. xD In order to cry, I need to be deeply drained, battered, and upset at my core (or taken by surprise by something incredibly moving), and it takes too long for me to put myself into that state to do it live onstage.

Besides...I don't like being in that state of mind, and probably wouldn't have the energy to act if I were in a state where I was actually producing tears.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
In order to cry, I need to be deeply drained, battered, and upset at my core (or taken by surprise by something incredibly moving), and it takes too long for me to put myself into that state to do it live onstage.
... exactly, in the end it all depends on a load of different factors... and some types are more prone to react emotionally; For example my ENTJ friend was crying like crazy when she saw a homeless guy begging for money, or seeing a random stray puppy on the streets.
I'm just saying that there are some situations when someINTPs would consider it pointless to shed tears...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I haven't cried since I was child but I did grow up in a family who viewed crying as a sign of weakness and very much frowned upon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
-snip-
One thing I cannot do: Cry on cue, which is dreadful because I'm in theatre. I'm very good at simulating sobs and a shaky voice, but I just can't conjure up actual tears. Another actor (a Feeler who was excellent at crying on cue) told me to just think of something sad---but the problem is, that's just not enough to make this Thinker cry. xD In order to cry, I need to be deeply drained, battered, and upset at my core (or taken by surprise by something incredibly moving), and it takes too long for me to put myself into that state to do it live onstage.

Besides...I don't like being in that state of mind, and probably wouldn't have the energy to act if I were in a state where I was actually producing tears.

Thoughts?
I dunno, I actually tear when I imagine my characters being really really upset, battered, or otherwise emotionally harmed. But I don't actually cry that much. Only when I'm busy raging at the world for one silly reason or another.

It's funny how I feel more emotion now that I'm older, but I cry less. Selective emotion firewall?

·
Registered
29 Posts
As it's been mentioned before, crying is circumstancial and many factors are involved. I don't think it's typical for INTPs to cry over something socially connected, like a funeral or anything really which does not link directly into our vulnerable areas.

We have vulnerable areas. I only cry when someone or something has somehow sliced deep enough through my stone fortress to cut my vulnerabilities. I cry mostly when I feel helpless. When no amount of logic or problem-solving can fix the problem at hand.

I cry whenever my vulnerability is exposed. This means: when my pride is damaged, when I feel deep emotion which I would rather not be feeling, or when a manipulator has forced me into a situation I am not comfortable with.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts