Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
...I am sorry to hear you have experienced such disgusting care. Yes chronic pain tends to be well, chronic. But I agree it's not always a permanent deal, people are just too varied to make a call like that. We've all seen amazing recoveries, and they happen more often that people think if motivated enough.

Makes me wonder if those doctors who behave in such a damaging fashion are just in it for the money. Or if they're just worried about being sued for giving patients 'false hope' in the face of ailments experts find incurable. I can't see a doctor who actually loves his job saying stuff like that.

I wonder if modern doctors nowadays have even heard of the Hippocratic Oath, if they're even taught it.
Many are in it for the money. Also, doctor shortages exist in many countries, including mine (Canada), so there is the promise of secure, stable employment as well. But I believe that if you are going to enter the medical profession, then you should be ready to subject yourself to a much higher standard than in many other jobs. You are supposed to be in it to *help* patients who are ill, not the money. And what makes me even angrier is the MDs who say, "We don't make enough money compared to doctors in Country X". Whining about making six figures? I have no sympathy for that. Many people will never even see a six-figure income in their lifetime, let alone have the chance to complain about one.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
1. How often (if ever) do you cry?
2. What compels you to cry?
3. Do you ever cry in front of other people?
4. What would you think if someone cried in front of you? (I don't mean feeling like you want to cry, but actual tears coming down your face, crying)
1. Once or twice a year.
2. Usually by watching an emotional movie. Real life doesn't move me to tears.
3. Not if I can help it. It's embarrassing.
4. It would be very awkward. I'm not the nurturing type.

Reactions: mpobrien

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Many are in it for the money. Also, doctor shortages exist in many countries, including mine (Canada), so there is the promise of secure, stable employment as well. But I believe that if you are going to enter the medical profession, then you should be ready to subject yourself to a much higher standard than in many other jobs. You are supposed to be in it to *help* patients who are ill, not the money. And what makes me even angrier is the MDs who say, "We don't make enough money compared to doctors in Country X". Whining about making six figures? I have no sympathy for that. Many people will never even see a six-figure income in their lifetime, let alone have the chance to complain about one.
Hmm... if two doctors performed the same type of surgery and gave the same level of excellence in results, but one did it for humanitarian reasons and the other for the money (assume they are both working in the same hospital and receive the same amount of money for the job), is the second doctor's perfomance lesser than the first's because his motivation?

·
Banned
891 Posts
Hmm... if two doctors performed the same type of surgery and gave the same level of excellence in results, but one did it for humanitarian reasons and the other for the money (assume they are both working in the same hospital and receive the same amount of money for the job), is the second doctor's perfomance lesser than the first's because his motivation?
The performance of the two doctors would be equal. While I believe the motivation of the first one is more noble, when it comes to my health, I definitely want someone competent. Compassion towards patients is a must, though. Or at least, avoidance of poor bedside manner.

The doctors I've dealt with are incompetent, did not know their facts (I had to correct them several times), and may or may not have been greedy. But I can't help but think that those who treat patients like dirt are probably in the profession for money or status. If not that, then they've become disillusioned with their profession or the health care system in general, and then take their resentment out on patients. And that is the wrong way to deal with their resentment (i.e. providing poor patient care).

This is getting off topic, though, so this is my last post on the issue. Back to topic at hand.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
How often (if ever) do you cry?
Rarely. Usually only at funerals or military events.

A few times I have cried over how deeply someone close has hurt me or how deeply I have hurt someone close.

What compels you to cry?
Primary causes: the death of people I know and love, and military service/sacrifice.

Do you ever cry in front of other people?
At funerals and military service/sacrifice events. Crying for me usually involves tears streaming down my face, which is fixed in a stone-like expression. I do not scrunch up or squint when I cry.

Sobbing is out of the question. Haven't done it, never plan to.

What would you think if someone cried in front of you? (I don't mean feeling like you want to cry, but actual tears coming down your face, crying)
Depends on their reasons. Some people cry and it's so self-pitying that I want to slap them. I usually have to leave the room. Others cry because they are truly, deeply hurt. In which case, I want to take up arms and destroy whatever it is that's injured them.

Usually, though, I'm just an awkward mess of words when people cry. I can't rampage off and solve their problems, so I'm stuck holding them saying words of comfort.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts

Rarely.

What compels you to cry?

1. Unbearable grief, that has been repressed for months or years, suddenly rebelling against said repression.

2. Kindness. If someone treats me badly, I can overlook it given it's a minor slight. If it's major, the offender will regret it. No tears for this crap. But, sudden or unexpected or overwhelming show of kindness can move me. I hate feeling emotionally touched, but it can happen. If were alone, I'd cry. In case I have company, my face becomes stony, cold and (more) expressionless. I will hold back the tears until I am alone.

NO!! :p
It has happened, but no one found out. I am not comfortable making a public display of my emotions. So, even if I do get teary at a funeral (young person's funeral or unexpected demise..other than that I treat funerals pretty casually), I just get teary and silent. There's no sobbing involved.

What would you think if someone cried in front of you? (I don't mean feeling like you want to cry, but actual tears coming down your face, crying)

Well, it depends on who they are. If I know they prefer demonstrative ways of expressing support(and/or if I am close to them), I'll give them a hug and offer to listen. If there's anything I can provide monetarily or otherwise, I'll do so.

I am a good listener. I let people cry away and talk about what's hurting them. If they're not the kinds who seem/are comfortable with hugs etc. (and/or I don't know them well), I will offer to listen Again, I'll be open to providing any kind of practical help. I am better at practical stuff than emotional support.

A complete stranger, recently, turned around, hugged me and burst out crying at a religious place of worship. I just let her cry. I felt her grief, but I had no words to comfort her. She was comforted by the mere fact that a stranger had validated her by treating her emotional state with respect. I offered to listen, as usual. But, words didn't do justice to her pain. She cried. I gave her some water, treated her respectfully. We parted ways.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I don't think anyone really likes crying in public. And I see a lot of people who've mentioned that. Why is that though? Is it like a fear of being judged? *is curious*

I don't like doing such in public as I don't like causing a scene or attracting attention. My mother drilled that into me when very young that people don't like seeing such behavior, especially from children. It gets them upset and worried.

@mpobrien answered it very well. For me, another reason is crying exposes the uglier side of my life...it makes it look like my life isn't together. When people see all the turbulence going on beneath the surface, I feel it sort of tarnishes my image of someone who is happy, well-adjusted, and successful. If my life is so messed up I'm crying in a public place (since this is sort of frowned upon in society, even moreso if you're male)...well, you get the idea. (Not that I think judging people who cry in public is good - that's just my kneejerk emotional reaction to it, my own personal hangup about it, whether I'm justified or not). Again, it all comes back to the 3-ish image thing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My sister, a 3w2, often gets very irritated easily. This sometimes leads her to cry. Is anger leading to crying common among 3w2s? I once considered her a 3w4 because she can be very dramatic like I can be when I am very frustrated or sad. But reading the 3w2 sounds more like her in terms of her socialness...but I will continue to look into it later.

Anyways, just wanna know, if this is an enneagram thing at all? When do 3w2s get angry? What things make them upset?

She is struggling with multiple commitments at the moment, a very active and demanding school club as well as tough college courses...so it most likely is stress and perhaps her feeling inadequate at meeting all these challenges. That is what I am thinking at the moment. All those commitments on her time must be very stressful for a 3.

·
MOTM Jan 2014
11,128 Posts

What compels you to cry?

2. Kindness. If someone treats me badly, I can overlook it given it's a minor slight. If it's major, the offender will regret it. No tears for this crap. But, sudden or unexpected or overwhelming show of kindness can move me. I hate feeling emotionally touched, but it can happen. If were alone, I'd cry. In case I have company, my face becomes stony, cold and (more) expressionless. I will hold back the tears until I am alone.
I relate to every word of this except the "I hate feeling emotionally touched" bit. I actually quite like it. =,)

But it is really beautiful when kindness makes me cry. It is probably more common than any other reason for me to cry irl. The only times I can even remember crying outside of that context in the last ten years are when my computer ate my novel and all the associated files (I cried in public that time which is anathema to me) .... when I broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years (cried in private for that one, but by the time I was done with my lake walk and little crying session I never thought about him again really, and moved on), and during really sad scenes in movies. I've also cried recently because of the kindness and emotions which someone very beautiful on this forum was kind enough to share with me. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I only cried when I expected wrong with the people that I had appreciated. When I feel people tricked or played with my emotions. Take advantage over me. I rarely cry for almost like 5 years I try not to cry even sometimes I can appear really emotional. I only cry when anyone hurt the heart of a kid inside me.

- in a year maybe twice or thrice sometimes rarely

What compels you to cry?
people, or depression.

No.

What would you think if someone cried in front of you?
lot's of people cried on my shoulder. sometimes i just listen most of the time i give advice even they don't care.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Rarely, if ever. Perhaps once or twice a year.

What compels you to cry?
Frustration-people being EXTREME idiots
No.

I doubt I would think anything. They chose to publicly display emotion, while I don't, and that's fine with me. I just wouldn't know what to do so I'd just be awkwardly present physically, and mentally distant.
I know I'm not well suited to help them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to never cry more than maybe 1-2 times a year. The past few years I've cried maybe 20 times a year.

What compels you to cry?
Mainly happy occasions like getting some profoundly happy feeling from someones toast at a friend's wedding.
The other reason of course is always stress that builds up.

Only my closest friends and family. Anyone else who sees me cry is taken care of immediately. On a serious note, I find it fairly easy not to cry in front of strangers or people I'm not too close with, the more people the easier it is for me not to cry.

I don't really think anything of it initially other than something bad happened.
Since everyone has their own needs when they cry, generally I would say ask short questions and let them do most of the talking, or no talking at all if they don't want to talk about it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I cry randomly. I can't really anticipate when it's going to happen. Most of the time I cry in private but sometimes I cry in public. Other times I cry when I hear a great song or read a great poem.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Haven't cried infront of people in last 4 or 5 years, even when I got 4 compound fractures in my foot in the middle of a soccer game. I just stood up, then collapsed on the ground again and let my teammates help me hobble off of the field. A moment of vulnerability caused by crying isn't something I'm wild about. I'll almost tear up at home, but still don't let myself do that. It's a matter of principle.

As for others crying, I usually think it's silly and unnecessary. However, there are some fragile girls I know, on which I find the tears attractive. The vulnerability somehow appeals to my sense of protectiveness, or something.

·
Registered
557 Posts

I cry a lot when I am in certain moods -- when I feel wide open and tingly in my chest. And sometimes I can't feel anything particular and don't feel nearly as sensitive and open.

What compels you to cry?

So many things: music especially live music at church or graduation or wedding, funerals, Kirtan, chanting, conch shells, Amazing Grace, Adagio for Strings, Chopin's Nocturne in E Minor, Op. 72, No.1, The Piano Man - "I'm sure I could be a movie star if I could get out of this place", movies - Chariots of Fire, The Secret Garden - "I never had any friends", "Where you tend a rose a thistle cannot grow", Wild Geese by Mary Oliver "You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves." Ted Talks, stories I tell myself about my own childhood or my children growing up or my parent's childhoods, self pity, intense beauty which seems to be about me remembering a connection with the universe - glimpsing it out of the corner of my eye or in a prism or kaleidoscope or in a dream or remembering glimpsing said connection, Grief and Loss, when everything starts to feel like a quest where we are all each others angels in the organism of the universe I cry very easily. Joy. News articles about rape, suicide, other horrors, and altruism. Vulnerability and courage. I cry being near someone who is crying. Sometimes I know someone near me is crying because I feel choked up for no reason. People can't cry alone near me. Parades - I went to a St. Patrick's Day parade with my children and cried probably 5 times. This might be because of the music. I sometimes cry when I receive massages. Sustained silent eye contact with a close friend can bring me to tears - when I see into their soul and they see into mine. Intense physical pain can bring me to tears, too. Anger and frustration. I love emotions and emotional expression. Life feels very grey and blah and meaningless when I feel closed off from it and I'm working on being with that. I usually cry at my therapy sessions.

Yes. I used to hide. In my family of origin people don't cry in front of each other. And I hear people tell their kids all the time to stop crying and I feel sad when I hear that.

I've practiced being with people when they cry. My children cry in front of my all the time. I used to get anxious and feel like I had to fix it, do something. I don't have to do anything! It is a wonderful beautiful thing for people to cry in front of us. Sometimes I acknowledge what I feel: sadness or anger or grief or joy. Sometimes I still get anxious. I'm always afraid to acknowledge that I feel anxious when someone is crying in front of me. When someone cries it is such a tender moment with the possibility of connection, but there is the possibility of missing the connection and creating or intensifying the feeling of isolation.

Thanks for asking about crying, OP.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Tear filled eyes once every now and then

What compels you to cry?
When I'm frustrated in an emotional situation because I've considered all outcomes and theres too much uncertainty or I can't make fix it because it's out of my control

Only if I know the other person would permit this behavior

If it's a stranger I wouldn't know what to do.
If it's someone I know and hes male I'd probably crack a joke.
If it's someone I know and shes female then probably hug her or some sort of comforting action.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Not so often nowadays.

What compels you to cry?
I have these stories at the back of my mind, directed by my imagination, and I cry over them. Sometimes I cry when I'm too tired or exhausted or when I'm really mad. Actually, I just tear not cry.

I cry by myself or with my pillow. I like my bed a lot because of this. It's the most comfortable zone.
No.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
I sometimes cry few times a day a couple of days in a row and other times I don't cry at all for weeks.I mostly cry either because of some sort of failure/fear of failure,frustration,being ignored or yelled at by certain people in certain ways.I sometimes cry when I think about myself or my grandma dying or death in general,but that doesn't happen very often.
As for crying in front of people,it really depends on what kind of crying.I guess it's fine if it's more of an 'symbolic' cry (for proving a point or attracting some attention:blushed:) or if it's a frustration thing.I always exaggerate when it's about 'real' emotions and try to somehow make people stop paying attention to the sad part by making them genuinely hate me,if that makes sense.

And I hate it when others cry because I often find comforting people a bit awkward since everyone needs a different approach and the same one might not work twice with the same person.I know people sometimes mess up when trying to comfort me and I really fear doing something like that.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Interesting. I'd like to understand how and why you'd prefer to be hated instead of people grasping the sadness you feel?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts