Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

EDIT: My finger slipped before I could finish the post and it somehow was submitted. Could a mod take away the quotation mark? (I was going to put quotation marks around "culturally unbiased" but that seems rather pointless now.)

Anyway, I got bored and searched for an online IQ test to take. The strange thing about this test is that it only had one type of question: finding patterns. The first few were easy enough, but some of the harder ones broke my brain. Some of the "patterns" seemed random in organization. I guessed on a good number of them and scored 106. Thus, my real score was likely lower. Now, I would discredit this if it weren't for the fact that the Danish branch of Mensa seemed to be involved it.

...I feel utterly retarded. :crying:

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
It only measures nonverbal intelligence, though. Also, if neither getting the correct answers or completing it in a certain amount of time will affect your result, what does?

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only measures nonverbal intelligence, though. Also, if neither getting the correct answers or completing it in a certain amount of time will affect your result, what does?
There's still a time limit. And I took that as there being no penalty for guessing, not that answers wouldn't be counted wrong.

Okay, so I'm below average at nonverbal/visual intelligence. XD

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Because she said she guessed a few, making her actual score a little lower.
And since 106 is only 6 points above the average ...
It's a test by Mensa, I would suspect that they have that accounted for already. :p

And my result on that is 122, I have the same thoughts though, wonder just how much of that was luck.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I got 112 on this.

It was hard to figure out some of the logic. I might have done better if I divided up my time more efficiently. Some of them are comparison patterns, some show a series of manipulations. I had about 9 minutes left when I finished it so I probably could have figured out a couple more of them if I spent those 9 minutes more wisely trying to decipher the logic....

I think its a pretty good test. I'm not so sure that it's directly comparable to other tests though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I enjoy answering tests like this. It was quite easy for me, though some of them really gave me a hard time especially the later part. I got 122 which is really nice. :kitteh:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The last 4 were really hard, was more of a guess combined with some kind of pattern I found. Scored 135
I love solving these kind of puzzles!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
115, Did anyone *not* find the end questions difficult? I had about a minute to spare when I finished.
The difficulty seemed to spike and drop for me. Some of the last ones were just as easy as the first ones, some weren't.

The ones that gave me the most trouble were the ones that had a massive number of permutations. Others were really easy after a moment of thinking about it, like "Oh, it's just rotating the line segments in a specific way!" or "It's just combining two simple elements. I just have to find the two that aren't combined and see what the combined shape is."

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
My results were just below the norm although it seems the test does not always cater for dyslexic traits, with pattern recognition being a challenge for many on this spectrum.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got a 105. I took this test on another site and got a 96 last time, but I was tired from a previous IQ and I wasn't as relaxed and focused and cooled off as I am now when I took the test. I'm happy with my new result now that I am not as stupid.

I think environment, breezing through questions, and how you feel at the moment can skewer results. So, don't feel like the IQ test result mean anything. Make sure you're in a quiet, comfortable environment so you can take your time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
i was about to test myself before i read "you'll have 40 minutes..." and then i almost ripped off my eyebrows in annoyance. why does everything have to be fucking timed nowadays? how is finishing a test more quickly supposed to indicate you're more intelligent than somebody who takes their time...? if you answer correctly, you answer correctly. like a lot of exams, it only favours those who work well under pressure - some people get stressed or distracted through worry and blank, including myself due to my very probable ADHD.

biased test is biased.

</beef>

·
Registered
52 Posts
i was about to test myself before i read "you'll have 40 minutes..." and then i almost ripped off my eyebrows in annoyance. why does everything have to be fucking timed nowadays? how is finishing a test more quickly supposed to indicate you're more intelligent than somebody who takes their time...? if you answer correctly, you answer correctly. like a lot of exams, it only favours those who work well under pressure - some people get stressed or distracted through worry and blank, including myself due to my very probable ADHD.
Bolded, italicized and red... that is so me, right there. Test + Timed = Choke. That invisible ticking clock in my head is too distracting for me that I cannot fully concentrate on the problems.

Unless that's the point. :shrug:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Bolded, italicized and red... that is so me, right there. Test + Timed = Choke. That invisible ticking clock in my head is too distracting for me that I cannot fully concentrate on the problems.

Unless that's the point. :shrug:
then surely they'd be testing concentration, not intelligence...? but yes, i absolutely agree; i can't think about anything other than the timer counting down, so i rush/blank, and my results on those things are always much lower than untimed tests. :( bloomin' 'eck.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My results were just below the norm although it seems the test does not always cater for dyslexic traits, with pattern recognition being a challenge for many on this spectrum.
i've heard suggestions that people with ADHD add on so-many points to make up for the misleading impact of their disorder on influencing their results. perhaps there's a similar method for those with dyslexia. it's worth a quick Google if you're interested to find out, i'd reckon.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
105, with roughly twenty minutes to spare. That seems about right from what I recount from my scholastic days; answer the obvious, make the educated sloppy guess, and pray there's no red ink on the returned assignment.

*while waiting for someone else to turn in the assignment first*

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got 112 on this.

It was hard to figure out some of the logic. I might have done better if I divided up my time more efficiently. Some of them are comparison patterns, some show a series of manipulations. I had about 9 minutes left when I finished it so I probably could have figured out a couple more of them if I spent those 9 minutes more wisely trying to decipher the logic....

I think its a pretty good test. I'm not so sure that it's directly comparable to other tests though.
Well, that makes me feel slightly better. IMO, you're quite brilliant. :D

However, the logic on the harder questions seemed like some sort of foreign language I couldn't decipher. I just got frustrated trying to figure it out, due to my own lack of confidence in myself. And for some reason, I seem to work more slowly at things than other people. I can't figure out whether it's anxiety or a latent learning disability.

And I have a hard time believing that my IQ is below average (as I said, I guessed on a lot of them, so my score would be realistically in the 90s). School was pretty easy for me. I was tied for third in my graduating high school class, and that's mostly because the valedictorian and salutatorian took more AP classes than I did. I was part of the gifted program. (Which really didn't do much after elementary school, lol. No special classes or anything, either. Though I was a part of talent search, which was mostly for high achieving poor kids.) I believe I took an IQ test to get into that in the 3rd grade, but I never knew my score.

I think environment, breezing through questions, and how you feel at the moment can skewer results. So, don't feel like the IQ test result mean anything. Make sure you're in a quiet, comfortable environment so you can take your time.
I took this at night with the TV volume turned down. Tiredness may have factored, since my sleep schedule has been out of whack for a long time.

1 - 20 of 242 Posts