Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
culture. no longer geography-specific

let's say
someone releases his album in say europe.
someone from africa might hear it and totally relate to it and finds out that he has similar elements that he want to develop and bring to life. and somehow his culture is surpressing him from pursuing that, so that the person gets lost. but there is passion, energy, focus in his heart the least if not talent also.

so.

in the modern age of internet and everything

should culture be geography-specific?

no matter whatever whoever whichever force try to make you lie about yourself, shouldn't one really be whatever one wishes to be? after all it's 21 century
maybe it is about time the notion of it shifts, that the culture can also be more about mental approach to things, attitudes that matter?

·
Registered
INTP
6,242 Posts
Culture is still hugely geographical.

I can see the point of the OP, but we still have a long way to come.

I mean, in some aspects the whole world is drastically Westernised. Consumerism is rife. Rife. That's a western export. e.g. Russia and the east-Orient were Communist/'Confucianist' which have rather different values to the whole 'buy stuff/look cool' shite of the west. But that's changing now, comparatively quickly.

However, it seems more like consumer/capitalist culture is just overlaying itself on top of existing cultures, and tacking new values onto people who still retain almost the entire of their local ideologies. After my year in China I can say from observation that they are real consumers now, but still they are SO Chinese it's unreal. By far the most different culture I've ever experienced, even more-so than whatever preconceived opinions I had before (and I'd previously travelled to other Asian countries too).

And, I mean, the UK is a damn small country, and it's western, so I could argue we are one of the front runners of this narcissistic consumer culture I mentioned. But anyone here will tell you there is vast difference between the people of the north and the south. Now, if little old UK still has geography specific culture, I'm pretty sure the when you consider the global bigger picture, culture is still very, very, very location-dependent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tell this to tumblr and watch the world burn :proud:

This may be the case with music, but what about traditions ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts