Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes this is a thread about culture, but not as we know it - I have a theory and I was wondering what your thoughts on this theory might be.

As Infps we are known for spending much of our time in our own heads - we have our own personal worlds inside of us and have grown accustomed to living there as well as in the worlds of fiction (books, movies, tv shows, ect) which within us has given us a kind of distinct culture, perhaps from the usual accepted culture in both the actual time and place we live in - leaving us with a form of cultureshock when we enter "reality".

I'm wondering if this is just me but when I talk to people I sometimes feel as if there are real cultural barriers there despite the fact we supposedly come from the same culture... :confused: its quite baffling really -
anyone else feel this?
any advice for me?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah... maybe perspective explains it :happy:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the main thing I think of after reading your OP is that probably every different type of INFP has his\her own internal culture as far as real world things go.

I have loved art\drawing\music since I was very little. I have also always been into motorized things and computers which most probably don't associate with an INFP.

Are you talking about the things we like as in culture or the way we think?

I think we enter culture-shock when we enter the real world because it sucks compared to the cool little place we have going on in our heads! :tongue:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you talking about the things we like as in culture or the way we think?

I think we enter culture-shock when we enter the real world because it sucks compared to the cool little place we have going on in our heads! :tongue:
umm both really ^^ and you may have a point - our world contain everything we like and the outside world has err ...other stuff... hmm next time I have to visit reality maybe I can consider it an expedition to bring back whatever cool stuff I find to my own little world.

Reactions: Father of Dragons

·
Registered
65 Posts
this is not a serious answer, but
leaving us with a form of cultureshock when we enter "reality"
this reminded me of yesterday when I was coming up with a list of friends and family to send letters out to. I had spent the morning by myself reading and thinking, and literally all I could think of were movie and book characters! I have a hard time transitioning to the real world sometimes :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Absolutely. I get some pretty major culture shock sometimes just talking with people, even though I know I grew up in the same culture as them. Heck, the only other country I've ever even been to is Canada.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I dislike my environment, it shocks me on a daily basis. I am full of electricity. :tongue: jk. I think we are rare cognitive type that has little chance meeting people who have same functions and share similar intersts, and we feel alien to many things that this so called culture is offering us (America-Generica where I live). That does not mean that they are not special little places with a specific cultural climate which is more to our taste. In different culture, I felt also alienated but to a lesser extent. I guess because it was more laid-back culture and offered more events that interested me. I thought I was normal (Fi - stick to your belief of what is right and wrong and important). They told me I was odd. Then, I thought "why these people are so well adjusted to everyday crap?" I do not by choice or circumstance follow what a human "should be"= "should have" according to cultural standards. I did not follow the crowd, and they ridiculed me for it. They were "concerned" for me. Actually, it is culture we live in that is odd (unfulfilling, superficial, bleak, generic, materialistic, fear-based, anti-human, contradictory, and shocking to anyone of any type who actually has empathy). Many people suffer emotionally or physically for being proper followers of set standards.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I don't suffer from culture shock due to living in my head. I suffer it because I refuse to be influenced by my environment like most people are. There's also something of a maturity barrier for me and those of my age group (early 20s).
Tell me about it!
I'm 22, and my peers act like such children its embarrassing to be around.
(I mean I might act like a child, but its the good kind of child, fun and bouncy and playful, not spoilt, brattish, and rude like many of my peers are -_-)

I'd rather be a social nomad, awkward and meek, than get dragged into that social abyss . That clusterfuck of bitching and playing around, and going out and getting piss-drunk and doing stupid dangerous shit.
(And I fucking hate the music and TV shows most people my age watch. Guh! Reality TV and Clubhouse mixes. Give me Deep Purple and Red Dwarf anyday)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Yes, I am in constant shock when I enter "reality" no matter how old I get (I'm 28 now).
For instance, I'm spanish and as you can imagine food is a HUGE social thing in this culture. It seems like people cannot socialize without going to a restaurant, or someone's home for a get-together + homecooked meal, or bbq's, everything involving food.

Now, for some reason I have never bought into the whole thing. Even as a kid, I refused to go to my relatives' lunches or dinners and I would cry for hours at the mere thought of it. Sitting at the table with all the family members, I could never engage in conversation with my cousins if I was eating, I went into a trance while eating. And if I was required to socialize, I would totally forget about the food. I have learned over time that food situations is NOT how I bond. It's how everybody else bonds, okay, but it does not apply to me. Eating is a solitary experience for me, very much like reading a book.
So I live this reclusive life, typical INFP, and I make my own meals and eat by myself every single day. And when I am put in a situation where I am required to eat + socialize, I am in shock. I can't respond, it's like I'm juggling balls in the air and at any given moment one is gonna fall and I'm going to lose my shit.
For ex, food break at work. It's my nightmare, because I know people expect that we will go eat together to the nearest restaurant. I cannot do it. I feel asfixiated. So I do not stay with my co-workers because I need to eat alone, and everybody talks crap behind my back about me being "weird". In my inner world, people have coffee alone and people-watch, & people socialize by means of conversation and laughter and doing activities together such as going to an amusement park, but then you go home and eat alone, and read a book alone, and write in your journal alone, etc.

I'm also shocked by couples who fight in public. I feel physically sick, second hand embarrassment, etc. I would never ever ever do such a thing in public! And my mind cannot comprehend why others do it. Fighting/arguing is such a private thing.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
At times yes, although one has to be aware that culture* is not always inherited or societally defined as we are often led to believe; adding to 4) with a personal anecdote 'education' is something we can define for ourselves with more autonomy, awareness, self guided learning as a choice and seeking to become an independent critical thinker (something as simple as maintaining a neutral opinion of current world events).

cul·ture [kuhl-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, cul·tured,cul·tur·ing.
noun1.*the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern forwhat is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.

2.that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.

3.a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nationor period: Greek culture.

*4.development or improvement of the mind by education or training.

5.the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic,or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.

·
Registered
458 Posts
We're introverts, dreamers and idealists so my inner world is quiet, peaceful, ordered, fascinating, quirky and sublime. When I interact with the real world, there's always culture shock. It's chaotic, fast, stressful and everyone is demanding - "give me your time/ help/ attention/ money/ favours/ love ..... " "Look at me." "Listen to me." "Do this." "Do that." "Come here." "Go there." "Dazzle me. Impress me. Adore me. You can be my fan. Make me the centre of your world." People play games, power games, manipulative games, silly games. They speak a different language, a language of two tongues where no means yes and yes means no. They lie about everything. Parents lie. Salesmen lie. Kids lie. Ads lie. People rush to work. They rush home. They rush to the grave. It's overwhelming. And most of the time, they want me to rush along with them, help them to make more money so they can buy more rubbish. Join the mindless herd and do mindless things. They think I'm lonely and intrude to invite me to parties or hang out with the crowd. Smoke, drink, eat, dance, laugh, laugh, laugh. Pretend you're happy. Image is all important. Turn up the volume. Dance faster. Faster. They babble just to avoid seeing their true selves and shallow lives. They skate over the surface of things, unaware of what lies beneath, unaware that they're unaware.

Is it any wonder we're always sitting outside of that circus, looking on?

·
MOTM January 2013
10,669 Posts
Social customs tend to change quite rapidly with the novelty aspect of western society although some traditions remain out of a nostalgic sense, comfort. In a more traditionalist culture, I think perhaps this is the case to a higher degree in Eastern society but we all inhabit this planet and therefore influence each other globally, e.g some Japanese cities becoming more westernised.
I don't know, I mean, I used to find aspects of western day to day culture to be very stifling, imposing on those who did not regard them with the same level of importance and therefore they felt contrived but what I realize now is that these upheld customs are not seen that way to some people, it's just a matter of perspective. However, my comfort in these situations is not consistent, I can see why they hold importance to some people and how they help to maintain a collective culture, that's pretty important, it gives others hope and a sense of community and belonging, team spirit, some don't seek their needs from collective traditions though and such things can turn sour when they start from good intentions to bad consequences - oppressing individuality and independent thought/behaviour when traditions have run their course and are no longer useful but stunting etc.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,449 Posts
I experience this alot, especially with music and literature. My friend told me once that I don't listen to enough music. I wanted to punch him in the face and ask him when the last time he listened to any Flamenco, Impressionist, Romantic, Classical, Big Band, Beebop, and Ambient was.

Same sort of thing with books. I ask someone if they like to read, and when they tell me they just LOVE twilight, 50 shades of gray, or harry potter I want to throw them off a cliff. I guess Harry Potter is acceptable though.

At the same time, I do keep up with some things, mainly the Kardashians. :p And back when Jersey Shore was airing, I was all about that. lollz. But for the most part, I don't listen to the radio, or keep on top with the latest buzz about celebrities or comedians. Some TV shows I do, like most shows on HBO or AMC.

At the same time, as a musican and a writer, I feel like I have to be on the cutting edge of things, like I have to be one step ahead of everyone, and so I try to focus on the up and coming stuff, look for new trends in the music or literature, so I can have my pulse on it, and hit it before it happens.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I guess I suffer from this. Having looked at some videos, articles and posts on the subject of culture, it's interesting to note how the older generation (I'm talking mid 20s here) comment that culture moves a lot quicker now than it did before social networks became a thing. I guess as things and trends move faster and offer greater access to a variety of people, it'll become harder to keep up with it.

I really can't see the point in keeping up with current trends. I mean sure, I read and look/read up on all sorts of things related to culture at one time, but I really cannot be fucked in keeping up with the latest fashion season or the latest overpowering fandom on Tumblr. Some people are now an airport; allowing each trend, each opinion which forms their identity to fly in and out for a small visit.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Yes this is a thread about culture, but not as we know it - I have a theory and I was wondering what your thoughts on this theory might be.

As Infps we are known for spending much of our time in our own heads - we have our own personal worlds inside of us and have grown accustomed to living there as well as in the worlds of fiction (books, movies, tv shows, ect) which within us has given us a kind of distinct culture, perhaps from the usual accepted culture in both the actual time and place we live in - leaving us with a form of cultureshock when we enter "reality".

I'm wondering if this is just me but when I talk to people I sometimes feel as if there are real cultural barriers there despite the fact we supposedly come from the same culture... :confused: its quite baffling really -
anyone else feel this?
any advice for me?
To me, this is called "childhood", and not "culture". Culture is more collective and whereby a group of people is exposed to the same set of thing and that they are moving towards similar things.

Even now as you describe "INFP's world" I just kept thinking that this means in my mind as "personality". I knew I had a personality and that I was a certain way and it differs to others and that is okay too. Cos I always knew this. I never tried to be someone else. I just try to please others, but that is not the way to go.

What I do agree with you is though, is that regardless of what these words describe, to me, I am always ME. There are a lot of terms which describes many different things in this world, but I also see the correlation that it is also the same thing too. In computational theory, there is term called "abstraction". It means that you can see commonalities in separate different things. What is classed mostly as "INFP" in the US (let's be honest, it is an American theory that does not extend to the rest of the world, and nor do they care much about it to be honest), in Chinese, I would say someone would use the term "See Mun" to describe you. It means "polite" and that you hold a high value and ethic for oneself like a scholar. There is actually a "person" in Chinese mythology which depicts the INFP character. In Chinese culture, you are supposed to revere the characteristics of the different "deities", and these deities were once upon a time, an actual person. So it means that to bring forth the best of that person's strength, which is the same with personality profiles really. To understand oneself.

I would day it depends on how well you were brought up before you are exposed to any shock or not of reality. But to be honest, I see this as the job of the parent to integrate the child into society. This is whereby I love certain societies whereby they do make it a socially done thing to integrate the child into society too by conversing and respecting them as an individual and so forth. This is all for them to learn about the appropiateness and the level of interactions etc.

A child is a child and is not an adult. Talk the right topic to the right person and you won't ever feel lonely !

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What is classed mostly as "INFP" in the US (let's be honest, it is an American theory that does not extend to the rest of the world, and nor do they care much about it to be honest)
You present a good point in the rest of your post but I must point out that it does extend to europe and other places in the world (I live in the UK and identify as INFP)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts