Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some googling already that's yielded zilch, and I realize this is a long shot, but PerC has lots of smart people on it, and maybe one of you has advice?

I moved from Place-A to Place-B on the same block. Place-A was an in-law unit. At Place-A, my cat was an indoor cat. He's been outdoor/indoor since the move.

I got a call from my ex-landlord yesterday saying that my cat's been going back to the old place, pestering his chickens and using their cat-door at night and waking them up.

I really don't want to force my cat to be an indoor cat again. 1) He's so much happier going in and out. 2) He has a habit of meowing at 5:30 in the morning (which was an issue even before I used to let him outside) and won't shut up; if I'm able to toss him outside, it means I'm able to easily get back to sleep.

Sooo...

1) If there's a way to get him to stop bothering my former landlords at Place-A, that'd be amazing!
2) If I do have to keep him indoors, if there's a way to get him to shut the eff up in the morning, that'd also be great.

Thank you!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
It sounds like he still thinks place A is his home. The best thing you can do is keep him indoors for between 4 and 6 weeks so he learns where his new home is and don't let him out unattended for a while.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A cat makes his own home, he doesn't necessarily follow his owners. So he thinks the first place is his. I suggest you lure him back home with a dish of food outside your new front door, so he realises this is where you've moved now and he will get his yummies at your door.

Can't stop him from making a racket every morning, unfortunately. He should soon settle down, hopefully, into his and your new home!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Personally I'm not in favour of letting your cat outside (as in, outside to roam wherever) for health reasons for my cats and because my country is very densely populated so they could get hurt quick.
To let them have an outside I've fenced off my backyard. So they can go outside but not get run over nor will they harass my neighbours. Maybe try that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts