Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No curiosity did NOT kill the cat!

Where you curious people as kids? Are you still curious? I always found myself asking questions about stuff. Particularly how systems and real things worked. Anything that looked appealing to me, I always wanted a closer look at. Often to the point where I might cross boundaries. Can any of you relate?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I think every child has many curiosities. Everyone is curious to a certain extent.. :mellow:
Yeah, I agree...to be honest, I don't think this is something that's connected to type, or at least not very strongly or clearly. And even if I did think it was, I would imagine that ISFJ's wouldn't be as curious as a lot of the other types.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I agree...to be honest, I don't think this is something that's connected to type, or at least not very strongly or clearly. And even if I did think it was, I would imagine that ISFJ's wouldn't be as curious as a lot of the other types.
Though I would think they would have a knack for constantly seeking information.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Though I would think they would have a knack for constantly seeking information.
I don't think so, at least not compared to other types. I think NT's are definitely the most curious of the types....they live to increase their knowledge base and to learn. They strike me as much more likely to constantly seek information. I also think NF's tend to be naturally more curious than SJ's. SJ's are so much more structured and routine based than the other temperaments, and they're not known to like change. I even think SP's are more adventurous and curious to try new things than SJ's are.

In fact, now that I think about it, I think ISFJ's would be one of the least curious of the types....I think STJ's are more likely to want to increase their knowledge base.

I think ISFJ's are really good at storing information though, especially with their strong Si. However, for me, I use this for things I find to be important, and a lot of times those are personal experiences, not necessarily information.

But like I said, I don't think this has to be a type thing...some people may just be more curious than others. The Enneagram probably relates to it in some way or another too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I see it more as ISFJ's seeking understanding, then being curious.

Having Si as a primary function, I usually don't need to talk to people around me about whats going on, because I have already inadvertently overhead. ISFJ's generally know a lot more then their exterior would give a way, and thus, people don't think they know that much. People who are curious often wonder How many tiles are on that ceiling? or I wonder how many times I said that word in our conversation where as an ISFJ would be like: There are 48 tiles on that ceiling or She said that word 10 times in a brief span of time in our conversation. I think if we lack any curiosity, it is because we already know the things that other people wonder about on a daily bases.

Things we are usually curious about are things we like(I am guessing that would be due to being a Feeler vs a Thinker). Having Fe, we are more likely to only such out things that would be okay to research as well. We are no less curious then any other type, our curiosity is just more focused, and so in a way, we can seem more curious. If another person spreads their curiosity out through many things, they don't get as deep into them usually. ISFJ's will generally hone their curiosity in on something they like and feel comfortable looking into, which can lead to much greater depths.

So, what could be define as "more curious" is up for debate. Are ISFJ's as broad spectrum in their curiosity, not so much, but is their curiosity abnormally deep, I would say so.

I have also read that ISFJ's often like "weird" things. I find this interesting. I seem to be a pretty clean cut guy, but I had many alternative friends and am into things like anime and manga.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I see it more as ISFJ's seeking understanding, then being curious.

Having Si as a primary function, I usually don't need to talk to people around me about whats going on, because I have already inadvertently overhead. ISFJ's generally know a lot more then their exterior would give a way, and thus, people don't think they know that much. People who are curious often wonder How many tiles are on that ceiling? or I wonder how many times I said that word in our conversation where as an ISFJ would be like: There are 48 tiles on that ceiling or She said that word 10 times in a brief span of time in our conversation. I think if we lack any curiosity, it is because we already know the things that other people wonder about on a daily bases.

Things we are usually curious about are things we like(I am guessing that would be due to being a Feeler vs a Thinker). Having Fe, we are more likely to only such out things that would be okay to research as well. We are no less curious then any other type, our curiosity is just more focused, and so in a way, we can seem more curious. If another person spreads their curiosity out through many things, they don't get as deep into them usually. ISFJ's will generally hone their curiosity in on something they like and feel comfortable looking into, which can lead to much greater depths.

So, what could be define as "more curious" is up for debate. Are ISFJ's as broad spectrum in their curiosity, not so much, but is their curiosity abnormally deep, I would say so.

I have also read that ISFJ's often like "weird" things. I find this interesting. I seem to be a pretty clean cut guy, but I had many alternative friends and am into things like anime and manga.
That makes a lot of sense. Unlike ENTPs, you guys are not jack-of-trade knowledge gathers. Instead, you gather tons of information on a few subjects you like, and store it in your computer-like memories.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I think trigun described it well, it's a specific curiosity, similar to the way in which I'm attracted to people - there's got to be something specific (perhaps vague and indescribable, but one specific vague and indescribable thing) drawing me in, which resonates with how I'm feeling, perhaps movies, poetry or fiction which move me strongly.

One track focus as always x)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts