Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently realized something interesting about my dreams in general.

I never stay in the same place for more than a minute nor am i consciously aware of it.

What I mean by that is, in my dreams (it's always from a 1st person perspective) when I'm interacting with objects or people around me at any given moment the setting or the environment shifts into a completely different place sometimes related to the previous area other times no relation whatsoever.

I was curious if other people dreamed this way. It didn't really hit me until I was talking with my gf about a dream I had, and I realized ever since I can remember my dreams were in constantly changing settings. For example:

I was sledding down a snow covered mountain and ended up in this sort of setting that looked like the Maldives. I then almost stepped on a crocodile hiding in the sand and the tour guide told me to be careful and watch my step. I then turned around to see a horde of zombies coming my way which I then proceeded to runaway from as other tourists were becoming zombie food. I turned around and the setting shifted to an amusement park and there were long lines everywhere. I proceeded to go climb up the window to this house that looked like it was having a party but the line to get in was about as long as a big concert. Inside the house was a bunch of my friends drinking beer and telling me I have a nice house...

You get the idea. The change in settings are instantaneous.

I'm suspecting it may or may not be related to ADD which i have not been diagnosed but have been told by friends that I show very close symptoms to.

I was wondering if others have similar kinds of dreams. I don't believe in dreams having any sort of meaning but I do realize they are there and that they are very very interesting. Please let me know what you guys think.

·
Retired Administrator
18,698 Posts
I don't know if it's related to ADD. My dreams also change like this, and things in my dreams morph as well. I think it's the symbolic nature of the dreams--they are full of symbols that change according to express something.

In one dream I was taking care of a cat, then the cat turned into a baby--I never questioned why or how it did this, it just did (but, upon reflection, I noticed that the cat's name was phonetically similar to the word "baby" and that in at least one language, its name was part of the word for baby). Personally, I believe that dreams are trying to communicate something to us that we refuse or cannot acknowledge in tangible reality. So the dream is like a poet who uses different analogies to express the meanings; and in non-lucid dreams, those analogies can change along with the narrative of the dream, and the change isn't necessarily questioned.

I look for common themes--like in your dream (which I can't interpret because I'm not you nor knowledgeable of you), I would think that the horde of zombies was the same as your friends, and also the people who ride the amusement park. People who are just mindlessly consuming. And then, that horde of zombies, your friends, and the people who attend the amusement park could actually be parts of yourself. But I don't know. Dreams are strange.

·
Registered
554 Posts
My dreams are more consistent, Scenery only changes like that when I teleport.

What I do have though is dreams where I am not me...
I know immediately when I am not me, it is strange to me, just not while I'm having the dream.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts