Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try my best to keep it short, so that some of y'all will actually read it...

Basically, I was top 10% in HS and had good SAT scores, perfect on the math section, and was real into music at the time.... went to the top school in the state and started off majoring in Civil Engineering.

Made a little money scalping football tickets, and used that to build a recording studio and start a record label...

Civil Engineering was boring as hell, so I never went to class (because if I did, I'd just sleep anyway), my GPA suffered and I changed my major to Radio-Television-Film, since I was into music and entertainment.

After a couple of years running the record label, CD sales werent' really increasing for us, eventhough our popularity was, and most of the stores that sold our CDs went out of business (mom and pop record stores, current music industry)... I was never able to get the record label profitable, so after a couple of years, I kind of just gave up on it....

Radio-Television-Film was full of weirdo's with purple hair who were all about film. I decided it wasn't really for me and started to look for another major. Settled on Corporate Communications, because I figured the practicality of taking courses like public speaking was beneficial and also just to pick something, stick with it and get my degree in four years and get the hell out of college, rather than waste money being there forever....

While in college (after the record label stint), I started an Ebay business... sold football tickets, electronics, shoes, cell phones, etc... was making about $5k-$8k a month for a short period of time, before the recession started to hit and that started to dry up....

With that money, I started to get interested in real estate and the stock market and started day trading on my own. Graduated college with a Corporate Communications degree, but instead of doing anything in the Communications field, I went to a firm as day trader and traded their capital in the stock market...

At one point, I was managing a $6 million account. It was fun at first, but after two years, the up's and down's of the job got old and the market got really slow at the end of 09, beginning of '10 and I wasn't making money anymore, so I quit....

Now, I have no idea what I want to do.... everything I've done up to this point has been very entreprenuerial - the record label, the Ebay business, day trading.... but all of them were only profitable in the beginning and weren't sustainable and basically failed.

Now, I'm 24, broke, unemployed, in debt and for once in my life would actually like to just make a consistent salary, just to get my own finances under control. My college GPA is low because the record label and the Ebay business kind of took precendence at the time and I never really applied myself to my school work or even went to class all of the time...

My strongest subject in school was always math, and I did minor in business... my business GPA was actually a mediocre 3.2, much better than my Communications (major) GPA of like a 2.6, lol.

I can't help but to be drawn towards Accounting, just because of my propensity and competitiveness in math, but I know a lot of people don't think ENTP's would fair well in Accounting. I would have to go back to school for another year in order to be able to sit for the CPA exam anyway..

The reason I didn't major in accounting originally (because I always liked and was good at math) was because when I brought it up, my mother said, "Every accountant I know is boring. You're not boring enough to be an accountant, I don't think you'd like...." So, I chose engineering instead... and didn't last long there....

Is there a type of accounting ENTPs could fair well in? Or what other types of jobs rely on using a lot of math? That may be better suited for an ENTP??

I'm open to any kind of advice here.... I really don't know what direction to go in right now..

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
No.

Just.... No.

No accounting.

Say it with me.

"NO ACCOUNTING"

Get it?
Got it?

Good.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I never read most of that too big visibly but I caught that last bit saying you want to be an accountant?!?!?!?!?!?

Unless its "creative" banking for terrorists just don't!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Just from what you've written and personality types aside, if you found engineering boring I would think accounting could make you suicidal.

Just remember the best way to ruin a hobby is to do it for a living, eventually it becomes just a job. Yes there are few fortunate individuals who are thrilled to go to work every day. In my opinion those are the exception rather than the rule. I think most of us do something we can tolerate because we have to. Personally I would rather do something that I enjoy a little and get paid less than something I abhorred and made me rich, which is why I would never become a Warren Buffet or Bill Gates. After the first couple billion I would just say f it and sail off to my private island somewhere near Tahiti and spend my days sipping rum runners and picking sand out of my navel.

I guess what I’m trying to say is work to live, not the other way around. Life is too short to waste it on pursuits which don’t enhance our happiness. Follow your heart alone and no one else’s and I think you’ll come up with the right answer.

Reactions: dagnytaggart

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T go into accounting.

That is my major, and as a senior, I'm stuck with it. WORST decision of my life.

There is NO real math (just arithmatic and basic BASIC 6th grade algebra) - it's all about memorization and organization of details and procedures with no consistently logical basis. Like you, I hastily chose it as a major because I thought it involved actual math and it was "practical". Wrong. (Although, it is very "safe" and practical)

It's an ISTJ paradise, that should tell you something. Literally, statistically ISTJs and ESTJs DOMINATE the field

I'd go more into gruesome detail about what accounting entails, but I just ate, and I don't want to lose my lunch.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think you need to be clear about what you want from your next move.

Obviously you have loads of marketable skills, and so there should be no need to go back to college and get another qualification to find a job that pays you a regular salary.

Does your college have a graduate careers service? Not sure how it works in the rest of the world: UK universities do, and it's free.

Hunch time here, but I think that maybe you want two things: regular pay certainly, and maybe a sense that you are doing something worthwhile, something that has a point to it beyond paying the rent?

Are your finances secure enough for you to travel and work? TEFL maybe? VSO? Come back with a bit of perspective and a clear direction? You're young to feel so over the hill.....

·
Banned
998 Posts
Cheer up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Keep on trying. Work in general sucks. I've got a shit load of debt as well, mainly from my student loans, but also some business expenses.

You chose a bad industry to start a business in though. No one buys cds anymore. If you're into the music industry, the better route to take would be to start a DJing business, or a club. I want to start a club in a few years. The area I live in is sorely lacking one. DJs make really good money, like $4000 per night when their bonus is included.

Just keep being persistent though. Don't give up on entrepreneurship. I've heard that it takes most entrepreneurs three attempts to finally be successful at it.

I don't want a salary job. It is too routine. Too "I live in the suburbs and drive a Civic". My dream is to become a self-made millionaire, and I am going to keep fighting until I'm there.

Other businesses I want to start in addition to my energy consulting business:
- social media site for music
- club
- vacation resort by the ocean
- online television network (where I will have my late-night own talk show)
- own an NBA franchise (the Raptors)
- a buffet restaurant of purely hamburgers (all kinds of burgers and buns and toppings)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely appreciate all of the responses. I was actually leaning toward going back to school and doing accounting (I'm even meeting with an advisor in the accounting department tomorrow to discuss pre-reqs), but after the "Do What You Are" book came in the mail yesterday, I've really started to question that... which lead to this post.

There is NO real math (just arithmatic and basic BASIC 6th grade algebra) - it's all about memorization and organization of details and procedures with no consistently logical basis. Like you, I hastily chose it as a major because I thought it involved actual math and it was "practical". Wrong. (Although, it is very "safe" and practical)
Really?!? Thanks man. I think we all just tend to assume accounting=math. I guess I just need to do more research and find out what other jobs use math, other than just engineering and accounting. Surely math is beneficial in a lot of areas. I stumbled across this website today.... whenwilliusemath dot com/careers - so that's something to look at. Just at first glance I notice marketing researcher and urban planner are both listed in "Do What You Are" as possible career choices for ENTP's.

I think you need to be clear about what you want from your next move.
Something I stand to do for a couple of years with a decent salary that can possibly lead to me figuring something else out, whether it be another entrepreneurial venture or just making some contacts and finding another industry to move into that interests me...

Obviously you have loads of marketable skills, and so there should be no need to go back to college and get another qualification to find a job that pays you a regular salary.
Good point.

Does your college have a graduate careers service? Not sure how it works in the rest of the world: UK universities do, and it's free.
Yes, and I have been in contact with them, that's where I took the MBTI and the Strong test.

Hunch time here, but I think that maybe you want two things: regular pay certainly, and maybe a sense that you are doing something worthwhile, something that has a point to it beyond paying the rent?
Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I want.

Are your finances secure enough for you to travel and work? TEFL maybe? VSO? Come back with a bit of perspective and a clear direction? You're young to feel so over the hill.....
I don't really feel over the hill, just unsure about what I should do next. The only place I've really even considered working abroad was London, but then you have to deal with that whole hiring a foreigner instead of a UK National law, so it didn't seem too feasible...

Cheer up and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Keep on trying. Work in general sucks. I've got a shit load of debt as well, mainly from my student loans, but also some business expenses.
I'm not really feeling sorry for myself. I'm just trying to figure out what to do next....

You chose a bad industry to start a business in though. No one buys cds anymore. If you're into the music industry, the better route to take would be to start a DJing business, or a club. I want to start a club in a few years. The area I live in is sorely lacking one. DJs make really good money, like $4000 per night when their bonus is included.
True, nobody does buy CDs anymore. I have thought about being a DJ, but never have gotten into it because of the high upfront costs (the equipment), and then the learning curve - it takes at least about a year of practicing and learning before you don't suck and are even decent at DJ'ing. $4k a night? I've never heard of DJ's making that much. New DJ's with no name are lucky to pull in $250 in a night... $500 for more well-known DJ's, with the biggest DJ's making about $1k in a night. Of course, you can make a decent living if you work for the radio station by day and then work the clubs at night.... free drinks all night usually too...

Just keep being persistent though. Don't give up on entrepreneurship. I've heard that it takes most entrepreneurs three attempts to finally be successful at it.
Depends on what counts as an attempt. I've done all kinds of stuff, like selling heat-pressed t-shirts out my dorm room. If that stuff counts.... I'm way passed three attempts. Lol. I haven't given up on entrepreneurship though.

I don't want a salary job. It is too routine. Too "I live in the suburbs and drive a Civic". My dream is to become a self-made millionaire, and I am going to keep fighting until I'm there.
I haven't given up on entrepreneurship, but I do think a salaried job would be nice to have for right now, maybe I make some connections and move into another role and maybe then I notice a niche a branch off and start my own company doing something at a later date. Taking a salaried job right now doesn't have to mean giving up on entrepreneurship, and to me it doesn't..... but I do think it's necessary for my sanity to have some stable income for a while.

I've always dreamt of being a self-made millionaire. That's still the goal. Again, I don't think taking a salaried job now deters or hinders that at all.... I like the owning an NBA franchise idea, I'd love to do that....

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you want a stable income, you can make that flipping burgers... but that's beside the point

I'm going to be the odd one here and say: go for it.
Although I could see how accounting could be borring, in your case, it might just be therapeudic.

You could use less stress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmm, I've still not figured out where I want to go and I'm 41!

I decided recently that moving from changing IT jobs after 2 years after I was sick of them was not a strategy for the rest of my life so I'm taking the time to figure out a better approach.

I'm writing a life plan with my goals clearly defined (for once). Main goal is retire in ten years.

I'm writing down every interest I have, every skill, and leaning.

Once I'm happy with the list I'll go through them to weed out the ones that are fit for my purpose and could achieve my goal.

Hopefully I'll be left with something I can pursue with happiness and vigour that will see me pretty well off.

Obviously I cannot say that this will be a successful exercise (but if it is you'll be able to buy the book!), but it could be worth you trying to find the job that will make you "come alive" rather than a job that will destroy your creativity over a long period of time.

Oh - Hi everyone - found this forum yesterday and already spent far too many hours reading.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok. No accounting. If you want into that kind of field, go business-finance, that's more the manipulation of funds and allocation. accounting is to finance as masturbation is to sex. Go for the sex.

I'm exactly the same way though. No idea what the fuck I want to do. Still haven't chosen a major, just recently dropped out actually. I'm moving out in an attempt to figure my shit out.

Had a revelation the other day though: I'm important to both the companies I work for - without me, they would struggle severely/take huge losses. This makes me very pleased. [: Perhaps this is the case for you?

Our personality type is one that is characteristically good at everything. We have the widest array of careers in which we can excel and be happy. The best approach I think we can take is to stop caring what society has dictated as the norm (school for 20 years, work for one company which we're just made for for 40 years, retire, sit on a lawn in a wicker chair yelling at children).

By side stepping society's expectations (I know, we don't care what anyone thinks - but psychology shows that things like this are subconscious and just happen regardless), we can just do our own thing and what comes comes.

So you want to be an accountant or in finance, so be an accountant. Just don't expect it to be your career. If it ends up being such, then bomb. If not, then do the next wild and crazy thing that pops into your head.

If it's worth it, and you're passionate, you'll find a way to live on it.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Others have covered most of the important points. I'll just add that seeking fulfillment in your work--and only through your work--has turned out to be the path to madness and extended poverty to many people who have thought that way. If you come to think of your work as a bowel movement, basically. . . you are then on the right path. Find something that pays the bills and puts some money in your pocket, then enjoy life. It's just a job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll just add that seeking fulfillment in your work--and only through your work--has turned out to be the path to madness and extended poverty to many people who have thought that way.
I don't know about the poverty part... but I do agree with the madness. While I would essentially like a fulfiling job/career - right now I'm just looking for something I can do competently and make decent pay.

If it was all about money for me I'd go into Law or Investment Banking.... but the biggest things that deter me from those areas is I just don't want to work that damn hard. I enjoy my social life and my free time... and I'm not willing to give those up for money...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
accounting is to finance as masturbation is to sex. Go for the sex.
Nice. Quote of the Day......

Actually, if I were to go back to school, I think a Master's in Finance would be shorter than a Master's in Accounting (1 year compared to almost 2) and there's no CPA exam to deal with....

I don't know why.... but I think a part of me just wants to go back to school. Like I miss it or something....

But maybe I'm better off not going back to school and just throwing myself into the workforce somehow and leaving the MBA option open for later....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Learning is the shit. It's the allure of something new and [figuratively] shiny. I totally get it. I'm always excited to go back to school, but as soon as it becomes a routine, I lose interest and my grades plummet.

There are a lot of other (CHEAPER) ways to get your learning new things fix though. :) Books! I recommend anything Malcolm Gladwell (reading The Tipping Point right now, it's delicious).

Reactions: WilliamGCash

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm always excited to go back to school, but as soon as it becomes a routine, I lose interest and my grades plummet.
Ha! Yeah, I'm the exact same way..... which is why I kind of want to go back to school... but not for long. Law school, 3 years?!? Umm.... I'll pass - I'd get sick of it by then for sure.

I love Malcolm Gladwell's books!!! I'm a big Michael Lewis fan as well.... I definitely do need to find time to read more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I decided to just say fuck it and do it....

Why should I let a personality test tell me what I should want to do instead of just doing what I feel like doing?

So, I'm currently taking a couple of pre-req courses in accounting at the local community college, and I plan to be taking classes at the University next semester and trying to get into the grad school.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts