Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm just going to say you're a Baby Boomer because Deverson and Hamblett's Generation X was published in 1965. ;)

Ok, seriously, technicalities aside.... What really matters is which social markers (start with influential historical events) and societal values you identify more with. You can totally be a mix of the two, first of all. It's just that if you're more questioning of authority and driven by grand ideas of personal growth/gratification, equality, justice, youthfulness, involvement, and team-affiliation, a sociologist will probably want to label you a Baby Boomer. If, on the other hand, you're very results-driven, open to change, place holy importance on work/life balance, and are staunchly independent/self-reliant, you might say that your Gen-X side is more dominant.

You definitely don't need to identify with either either, of course, but you're bound to see some shining light in part of them, unless you're the most alternative man in the western world, haha. I, for example, might be balls-deep in the thoughts of too many distant and non-western philosophers to really write myself off as a normal, Canadian Gen-Y, but, hey, Gen-Y is supposed to value diversity and be less caught up in individualism than the prior generations, so I can't say I feel out of place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Essay: Good points and well put. I wasn't actually trying to find out which generation I was. I was trying to see which generation would have the most champions for their respected generation. Mayhaps generational pride has gone the way of the dodo. Which isn't nessecarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ah, I see exactly where I misread. Of course there's no better generation! Vive le difference!

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
It's better to be a young baby boomer than an old Generation X. Who wants to go through life always being called "old"?

·
ѕιr вυѕтer n&#96
ESTP?
7,101 Posts
I was born late in the year in 1964 in the cusp of two generations. So, would it be better to be a young Baby Boomer or an old X Gen? And why?
Hey. I found this page explaining all the different millennial titles, here: Talkin' 'bout my label. I thought it might be of good use in helping you decide.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Not too enamored with my label. Since I'm an SP, I need to get out of that box.
(walking tourist escapes, box goes into recycle bin)

Hey. I found this page explaining all the different millennial titles, here: Talkin' 'bout my label. I thought it might be of good use in helping you decide.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
From your profile photo I would peg you as older Gen X as your cultural bent of personal choice or experience. People born as early as 62 some times claim Gen X.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
It's better to be a young baby boomer than an old Generation X. Who wants to go through life always being called "old"?
Am I the only one visually identifying him as a Gen X poster child? He's 50 and could blend in with some people in their forties, even some late 30s. I am thinking Jay and Silent Bob, mosh pits, peak metal, a decidedly "younger" style than Boomers but way too dated to be Gen Y.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Feeling my age.
Or at least my hyperacusis.
My poor ears.
I remember metal from college.
Still recovering, lol.

Am I the only one visually identifying him as a Gen X poster child? He's 50 and could blend in with some people in their forties, even some late 30s. I am thinking Jay and Silent Bob, mosh pits, peak metal, a decidedly "younger" style than Boomers but way too dated to be Gen Y.

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm just going to say you're a Baby Boomer because Deverson and Hamblett's Generation X was published in 1965. ;)

Ok, seriously, technicalities aside.... What really matters is which social markers (start with influential historical events) and societal values you identify more with. You can totally be a mix of the two, first of all. It's just that if you're more questioning of authority and driven by grand ideas of personal growth/gratification, equality, justice, youthfulness, involvement, and team-affiliation, a sociologist will probably want to label you a Baby Boomer. If, on the other hand, you're very results-driven, open to change, place holy importance on work/life balance, and are staunchly independent/self-reliant, you might say that your Gen-X side is more dominant.

You definitely don't need to identify with either either, of course, but you're bound to see some shining light in part of them, unless you're the most alternative man in the western world, haha. I, for example, might be balls-deep in the thoughts of too many distant and non-western philosophers to really write myself off as a normal, Canadian Gen-Y, but, hey, Gen-Y is supposed to value diversity and be less caught up in individualism than the prior generations, so I can't say I feel out of place.
Anyone can have any sort of personality regardless of the generation you're born in. I think it's more about what events shaped you. Gen Y was most shaped by the events of the 2000s such as 9/11, the Iraq War, and the 2008 crash. The Baby Boomers would be most shaped by the 60s and early 70s. They would be shaped by the Vietnam War, Hippies, Watergate, and the JFK assassination.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,504 Posts
Which generation was most shaped by:

• Nixon's resignation (1974)
  • Iran hostage crisis (1979)
  • assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero (1980)
  • fall of Berlin wall (1989)
  • Tiananmen square crackdown (1989)

·
Registered
6,264 Posts

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Well I'm among the oldest of Generation Z and I don't mind one bit! :laughing:

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Well I'm among the oldest of Generation Z and I don't mind one bit! :laughing:
Yep I am "old" Gen Y (I haz ugly librarian glasses before it was mainstream!!!111) and I am totally fine with that. I have "young" Gen X friends who have more in common with the fifty year old OP than they do with me aesthetically, that is one of the main things I notice. I feel some kinship with both generation to an extent though as will most cuspers.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Which generation was most shaped by:

• Nixon's resignation (1974)
  • Iran hostage crisis (1979)
  • assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero (1980)
  • fall of Berlin wall (1989)
  • Tiananmen square crackdown (1989)

I would honestly think you border on Gen X if you are that affected by the fall of the Berlin Wall. Are you in your early fifties?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts