·
Registered
10,454 Posts
My Wally sleeping (when he was alive):

A random Westie in the mud:

Sloths:

Aww

My cat, Eva when she was a kitten:

This is Minnie. Someone dumped her and another kitten in the road so we found good homes for them (this was years ago):

My other cat, April when she was a kitten (she's Eva's baby):

Brady in the snow. He has his Halloween sweater on there:

Eva and April. They have a close relationship :p

A random dog pic I thought was cute:

Brady licking his foot:

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
My Wally sleeping (when he was alive):

A random Westie in the mud:

Sloths:

Aww

My cat, Eva when she was a kitten:

This is Minnie. Someone dumped her and another kitten in the road so we found good homes for them (this was years ago):

My other cat, April when she was a kitten (she's Eva's baby):

Brady in the snow. He has his Halloween sweater on there:

Eva and April. They have a close relationship :p

A random dog pic I thought was cute:

Brady licking his foot:
Aww. These are all great pictrues! Wally is so cute! I am so sorry about your loss. :sad: Dogs are great and are family.

Minnie is adorable too. Some people can be so cruel but I am glad she has a good home now. Eva and April are precious too! Brady looks so cute in his sweater. :3

I love all of the animals you put there. The sloths are really cute too!

I love rats and that one is so precious! The way he's standing in the water.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
This is Pickles. She is 28 months old.

She has tumors that are growing--one of the two most common ways for rats to go, especially albinos, blacks and Long Evans which are a combo or "blacked hooded."

She's cute in my and my husband's eyes; also, what doesn't show is how sweet-natured she is.

I got her from a pet store bin. She was intended to be snake food.

I picked her out of the baby bin. She was about four weeks old.

I trust trained her, put her on a homemade diet, and otherwise treated her well.

My husband got attached to her too. At first, he was just going along with me.
He didn't know anything about rats.

Now he adores "The Pickler."

View attachment 749178

She was sleeping in her "Hide-E-Ho" (the Dollar Store bin behind The Alfalfa House--filled with cut up paper towel squares for nesting, warmth).

She came right out when I came in the bedroom to take photos.

View attachment 749186

If you look close you can see she "tilts." Her "saddle" (the stripe running down her back) should be centered, but it looks off now. That's because one of the groin tumors is getting so large
it throws her off balance.

It's hard for her to walk sometimes, but so far her energy is good, and she isn't in any pain.

View attachment 749194

This is her "alfalfa house." It used to be bigger and complete.
She ate at it, in part so she could fit inside it because as the tumors grew
the space became too constrictive.

Pickles -- First Day Home Sept 19 2015__653 x 700 pixels__Luna.jpg

Sept 19 2015 -- 1st Day Home

Pickles -- First Day Home Sept 19 2015(2)__Adj.jpg

Same day, second photo. Pickles is "sniffing my husband up."

I used to read where people talked about their "Heart Rats," which sounded so sentimental and dramatic. But that's what Pickles is to us, even though we don't use that term.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is she a Newfoundland or Newfoundland mix?

I had a friend with a standard black Newfoundland he called Bear. And I remember reading that St. Bernard's are related to Newfoundland's (and if I recall this part accurately), and Great Pyrenees.
No, she is Leonberger :) But I think that the Leonberger breed was actually refined from Newfoundlands, Great Pyrenees and some third breed I can't remember... :p

Reactions: BranchMonkey

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Two tops photos -- attachments do not open for me; sharing those two again at bottom

This is Pickles. She is 28 months old.

She has tumors that are growing--one of the two most common ways for rats to go, especially albinos, blacks and Long Evans which are a combo or "blacked hooded."

She's cute in my and my husband's eyes; also, what doesn't show is how sweet-natured she is.

I got her from a pet store bin. She was intended to be snake food.

I picked her out of the baby bin. She was about four weeks old.

I trust trained her, put her on a homemade diet, and otherwise treated her well.

My husband got attached to her too. At first, he was just going along with me.
He didn't know anything about rats.

Now he adores "The Pickler."

Attached (I deleted it as it was a dead link; shared again at bottom of post.)

She was sleeping in her "Hide-E-Ho" (the Dollar Store bin behind The Alfalfa House--filled with cut up paper towel squares for nesting, warmth).

She came right out when I came in the bedroom to take photos.

(Deleted attachment: Dead link. See bottom of post.)

If you look close you can see she "tilts." Her "saddle" (the stripe running down her back) should be centered, but it looks off now. That's because one of the groin tumors is getting so large
it throws her off balance.

It's hard for her to walk sometimes, but so far her energy is good, and she isn't in any pain.

(Deleted this one too; same reason--see end for photos that I shared but via imgur; should stay put this time.)

This is her "alfalfa house." It used to be bigger and complete.
She ate at it, in part so she could fit inside it because as the tumors grew
the space became too constrictive.

View attachment 749202

Sept 19 2015 -- 1st Day Home

View attachment 749210

Same day, second photo. Pickles is "sniffing my husband up."

I used to read where people talked about their "Heart Rats," which sounded so sentimental and dramatic. But that's what Pickles is to us, even though we don't use that term.
ADDITION: The attachments don't open for me; in case they do not open for anyone else either, I am sharing them again:

Taken a couple nights ago.

Here is where her "saddle" looked angled because the tumor
(left back by her leg) is causing a tilt; it is growing fast, now.

I took this last night after she had been out playing, then ate, and out of the frame I have The Parabolic Heater on.

She looks so old, and her coat is rough. And here, her "angled" saddle--from the tumor--shows clearly; it used to run straight down her back; it still does but her body is twisted, now.

It is hard to watch her go downhill so fast.

What makes it easier is knowing that at four weeks old she would have been fed to a snake.

Instead, she has spent 27 months, over two years, with my husband and myself--being cared for and about... and given every opportunity we could for her to live as happily and for as long as possible.

When she goes, we'll know her life was good as we could help her have; there is nothing any human being can do for another being in need than that.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
ADDITION: The attachments don't open for me; in case they do not open for anyone else either, I am sharing them again:

Taken a couple nights ago.

Here is where her "saddle" looked angled because the tumor
(left back by her leg) is causing a tilt; it is growing fast, now.

I took this last night after she had been out playing, then ate, and out of the frame I have The Parabolic Heater on. She looks so old, and her coat is rough; it's hard to watch her go downhill so fast. What makes it bearable is knowing that at four weeks old she would have been fed to a snake. Instead, she has spent 27 months, over two years, with my husband and myself--being cared for and about... and given every opportunity we could for her to live as happily and for as long as possible.

When she goes, we'll know her life was good as we could help her have; there is nothing any human being can do for another being than that.
Such an adorable rat and great pictures! :kitteh: I hope that she recovers. :unsure: It's hard to watch our animals get older. It's a very sad thing.

Reactions: Stopping By Woods

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
@Froody Blue Gem

Thank you.

No, she won't recover: This is one of the most common ways for rats to go--they all come from stock used in labs for studying cancer, obesity, diabetes--and how it affects humans, so their lines have, no surprise, all of that in there.

Some people, who have the money and access to a vet who is familiar with, cares for rats (we do not have either) will risk the operations to have every tumor removed, again and again. In the end, they die anyway--sometimes at the vet, always stressed from the process, operation and so on.

Pickles isn't in pain yet, and for as long as that is true, we will let her live and keep her comfortable.

If she starts to have pain, my husband will see if he can find a vet near his work (he commutes 90 miles every day from where we live) who will put her to sleep, because they don't usually charge much for that, and if the vet treats rat (rare where we live), they'll know the quickest, least traumatizing way to do it.

She could, of course, die at home before she is in much pain--from the tumor obstructing a vital organ. It is in her groin. A mammary tumor, and already it is impinging her urinary tract and bowel.

We knew this was one of two most likely ways for her to go, so it isn't a shock; it's just hard to watch anyone, including an animal, we care for, head toward the inevitable.

I'm glad she doesn't know she is dying. She is so sweet-natured; very happy to be with us; enjoys playing every night and cuddling with us. And she still loves her food! xD

1 - 20 of 77 Posts