Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh, I think this is bothering way more than it should, but my ESFP friend and her cutesy language is too much! She adds an S to the end of everything. "Cools!" "Okays!" "See ya laters!" and I think it makes her sound immature and dumber than she actually is. Why does she do this? Does she think that she will become more accepted and well liked if she acts like an idiot? I wonder why this bothers me so... maybe I just love the English language and it hurts to listen to someone butcher it like that.

What do you think, INFPs? Does this kind of stuff irk anyone else? Would it be totally rude (and out of character) if I asked her why she does it?

·
Banned
788 Posts
It wouldn't be rude to ask your friend why she chooses to speak the way she likes, no.
It'd be self-righteous to claim your methods are any "more intelligent", actually.
Good thing you're not doing that, though....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wouldn't be rude to ask your friend why she chooses to speak the way she likes, no.
It'd be self-righteous to claim your methods are any "more intelligent", actually.
Good thing you're not doing that, though....
Oh no not at all. Honestly, I think what drives me nuts about the whole thing is that I know she's actually really smart! It just hurts to see women degrading their language to "fit in", even though that may not be the case, it definitely seems that way.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Oh no not at all. Honestly, I think what drives me nuts about the whole thing is that I know she's actually really smart! It just hurts to see women degrading their language to "fit in", even though that may not be the case, it definitely seems that way.
So, it irks you because you know she's more intelligent than she's leading on, via her application of the English language, to seamlessly blend into the social background? Perspective, Darling. Some people don't mind appearing as a sheep in a crowd of people they couldn't care less about, anyway. If she really is as smart as you claim, that revelation's probably crossed her mind and made sense, huh?I have to do it at work all day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'm less bothered by this and more by people not making what they mean clear. It might be because I'm a linguist, but I speak very clearly and directly, and I can't stand it when others beat around the bush and can't seem to find the right words to use.

Reactions: abigaleblues

·
Registered
362 Posts
I do use a lot of cutesy language in my informal communications, but I do it to amuse and entertain myself. Especially when I use polysyllabic words as well.

I have never had anyone doubt my intelligence, and I do wonder now if I use the informal language to make myself less intimidating. *shrug*

Naaah, it's jest fer the lulz... :D

(Now unintentional bad spelling/wrong word choice will cause me to lose my mind. I have been known to scream at my computer, particularly when a person is afraid their team will 'loose' the game. Really? Who tied up the game? Did he or she use zip ties or rope? GAAH!)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as it isn't excessive, these kinds of things don't really bother me.
It's constant, and I work with her. If she was just a friend that I saw occasionally, maybe I wouldn't even notice it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys don't get me wrong, I use informal language too, especially with my boyfriend. I call him my bear (And text him smileys, of course!) But like I mentioned above, this is at work and all day long, never ending. I feel like I am doing her a detriment not telling her. Plus, I think it gets on my boss's nerves too.

Reactions: Mr. Meepers

·
Huggable Meepster ^__^
5,900 Posts
Guys don't get me wrong, I use informal language too, especially with my boyfriend. I call him my bear (And text him smileys, of course!) But like I mentioned above, this is at work and all day long, never ending. I feel like I am doing her a detriment not telling her. Plus, I think it gets on my boss's nerves too.
In personal settings it does not bother me and I will do it too ^__^ ^__^ ^__^ ^__^ ^__^ lol
But, in more professional settings it would bother me ... and, if you think it is getting on other employees nerves (especially if it is also getting on her boss's nerves too) then she might need to know

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cutesy talk can be fun sometimes, but I generally can't stand it. People overuse 'funny' (or 'cool') slang when they aren't getting enough attention and don't have anything interesting to say. Bounced between multiple people, it's as obnoxious as any other inside joke that's been run into the ground. I know a few people who perpetuate these things, and they're oblivious as to how off-putting it can be for other people.

To me, cutesy talk and artificial slang are like the ultimate forms of pointless Sensor communitcation, placing entirely more focus on how something is said as opposed to what it actually means.

Reactions: abigaleblues

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cutesy talk can be fun sometimes, but I generally can't stand it. People overuse 'funny' (or 'cool') slang when they aren't getting enough attention and don't have anything interesting to say. Bounced between multiple people, it's as obnoxious as any other inside joke that's been run into the ground. I know a few people who perpetuate these things, and they're oblivious as to how off-putting it can be for other people.

To me, cutesy talk and artificial slang are like the ultimate forms of pointless Sensor communitcation, placing entirely more focus on how something is said as opposed to what it actually means.
I like that answer :)

·
Banned
361 Posts
Start speaking in pig Latin and refuse to stop until she does.

ayhay! ouyay avehay a onephay allcay on inelay wotay!

I'm not an expert on pig Latin so that my be a little rough.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sometimes things like bother me - I think that although I'm pretty sensitive/emotional, i don't like any kind of outward 'gushyness'. This doesn't just go for cutesy language - just any kind of over emotional/insincere gushyness. Some of my EXFX friends are like this and it can get on my nerves :/ I am new and still undecided over whether I am an INFP, ISFP or INTP and things like this make me wonder if I am more 'T' than 'F'. Do any other INFPs feel this way?

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I don't socialize much offline, and not much with very young people or the very extraverted, so I don't encounter that sort of thing.

I have run into people online - mostly ENFPs, I believe - who overuse "LOL." it's annoying, because it is exaggerated emotion. That points to INFP distrust of Fe and insistence on authenticity.

·
Registered
290 Posts
some people enjoy acting silly. it's fun! you should try it too, poopsie! Or maybe you're just socially awkward.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts