Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 9w8 359 autistic empath old soul
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depressed, withdrawn, nihilistic, bitter, directionless, aloof, uncommunicative, trying not to sound like a pompous boomer or anything but I think that pretty much all of us generation Z-ers, are, at heart, INTPs. Any thoughts?

·
exploring space
9,675 Posts
What you're describing is mental illness and not a type thing and it seems you're looking to validate it in some way through type and generation. INTPs are only a small part of the population, and many are very happy people. You should probably find some help to deal with your problems and find happiness.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Better way to put it: There are relatively more INTPs in Gen Z(or N in general). This is in fact true if you look at new MBTI statistics. And that makes sense considering evolution of our society with time in various factors if we look at current trends, for example.

·
Registered
Ti/(Fi)
1,657 Posts
I've always been typed as INTP in many many tests. Whenever I do something I tend to be careful, even if the smallest thing. Hard to communicate with people, I tend to be competent in finishing tasks, as I see people around me. I think about solve problems even though it seem difficult for everyone.

I am gen Z too

·
Banned
546 Posts
Gen Y here.
I think that the issue is - many zoomers are depressed. Full stop.

Depression causes symptoms such as withdrawal, nihilism, and solitude.
This causes many to mistype themselves as INxx types, as behavioral patterns of depressed zoomers seem to resemble INxx types.

Widespread depression of recent generations is a difficult phenomenon to understand. I have a few hunches why it's happening though: rapid urbanization (the effects of urbanization have been tested on rat colonies in the 1980s and yielded one result: rat insanity), rise of hook-up culture and destruction of long-term stable relationships, massive strides in technological advancements (constant subconscious pressure to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and lifestyle), lack of certainty and understanding of the future which results in anxiety and paranoia (in the past people more or less knew what they will study and which career they will pursue, and how they will feed themselves, when they will be able to create a family, etc. whilst today yesterday seems so very disconnected from tomorrow, it's difficult for some to tell what their life will be like in 2 weeks)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Better way to put it: There are relatively more INTPs in Gen Z(or N in general). This is in fact true if you look at new MBTI statistics. And that makes sense considering evolution of our society with time in various factors if we look at current trends, for example.
Which new statistics? Have links?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Reactions: Reginer

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's my suspicion. I see a lot more IN's than ES in my generation. I strongly suspect that personalities are changing with generations of kids kept home or in organized sports. Not given free reign of the neighborhood. I expect it has left a mark on our generation.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Those numbers don't seem much different than previous numbers that I see float around (26-34% N types in the one I'm most familiar with). You can see here (link).

Some or all could just have to do with moving to the new MBTI test (form M) or sampling bias/error.
Probably. But based on what I have observed so far,(comparing changes in overall lifestyle,values for Gen Z vs older gen), it makes sense to me. Current gen seems more open to new ideas when compared to older gen, but that could just be age thing. I think yours is another way to look at it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Probably. But based on what I have observed so far,(comparing changes in overall lifestyle,values for Gen Z vs older gen), it makes sense to me. Current gen seems more open to new ideas when compared to older gen, but that could just be age thing. I think yours is another way to look at it.
Yes it seems like people often get set in their ways once they reach a certain age and their brains start closing up. Thankfully not everyone is like that but "boomers" aren't only a literal Baby Boomer generation thing. It's a common phenomenon with older people.

I think a big issue is that people are stuck in seeing personality type as static, not realizing that a lot of older S types were once N in their younger days.

Reactions: Reginer

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes it seems like people often get set in their ways once they reach a certain age and their brains start closing up. Thankfully not everyone is like that but "boomers" aren't only a literal Baby Boomer generation thing. It's a common phenomenon with older people.

I think a big issue is that people are stuck in seeing personality type as static, not realizing that a lot of older S types were once N in their younger days.
Well that is why I am starting to doubt the validity of MBTI types being static throughout life. Infact even by that theory, I don't see how people won't change the preference of cognitive functions as they develop through their life. But it is fun to discuss nonetheless, in fact even helpful in development of fictional characters(although not sure if I would ever release mine in the form of games or comics based on what I have analysed so far, it is difficult to market it). Also people develop Je tendencies as they grow up. You can also argue that MBTI instrument is not all that accurate in typing someone. Based on that you can question the validity of statistics. Ultimately it all depends on the angle from which you view things imo. But then again if you combine all sorts of theories and trend from different research papers and your personal observation, increasing number of people typing as N makes sense in one way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts