Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
INTP 9w8 359 autistic empath old soul
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be just me because of my autism, but I go through phases of being obsessed with one thing and then I forget about it and pick up a new obsession. A few years ago I was a full-one sweaboo and obsessed with all things Swedish. As that died down I became deeply interested in religion, but now I’m not, and now I have a really bad eating disorder and fucked up relationship with food so my obsession with staying skinny as possible bas took over my life. Obviously, weight, religion and a fucking country are three subjective examples, but can anybody else relate? Is it an INTP thing to go through overlapping phases of being obsessed with something really niche?

·
Registered
INTP
5,280 Posts
I guess it's INTPish. We sometimes talk about "going down rabbit holes." My interests overlap, shift, and disappear (maybe to resurface years later).

These days I'm interested in MBTI, keto, certain exercises, Spanish, astronomy, and cryptic crosswords. A year ago I had a completely different set of focuses and activities.

I'm interested in too many things. It just isn't possible to do all of them all the time, so I get into a few at a time.

·
Registered
INTP
5,583 Posts
It's a very INTP thing, ha. We are the ultimate "jack of all trades, master of none".

For me this has included:

• Skateboarding
  • Videography
  • Photography
  • Korean language
  • Chinese language
  • Programming

For those latter two things, I'm actually quite good at them both, and stuck at them for way longer, and may be transcended into something of an 'oracle' level (I don't mean that in a boasting way - it's just another part of the INTP description - if we stick to something and learn it for longer, we become more wizard-like in our skills). I sincerely hope I don't get bored of programming because it's my career now and I love it.

But yeah we are definitely known for picking up new hobbies/obsessions then dropping them. More recently I've gained a sudden obsession with the outdoors, trekking, camping and Scotland. That obsession lasted during the summer months. I even wrote on here about how I was definitely going to move to Scotland. Maybe I still will, but for now I don't mind waiting a bit.

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts
I'm not INTP (did my avatar give it away?) but I have been close friends with one for over 15 years now. So when I say I've seen some rabbit holes, I've seen some rabbit holes. I think my favorite one was how he became interested in history and one war specifically. It went from the countries involved politics, to war strategies, and ended with him watching videos about the rations they used back then, ordering the items himself on Amazon. His is a fun mind to follow, and I got some tasty snacks out of it too.

Reactions: islandlight

·
Registered
INTP/4w5/458/ILI
9 Posts
Me! Not as hardcore as some people but I tend to fixate, often on weird or 'bad' stuff I don't really want to admit to other people (recently it was the Leopold and Loeb murder). Personality typing has actually been my most recent one, though evidently that's a lot more benign, ha. More likely than anything it's on specific people or fictional characters - not in a creepy way; I just think about them a lot and triangulate what they might be motivated by. I think the kind of work I do in this state is the clearest expression of my 4 enneagram.

When I get into a rabbit hole with research or ideas for work or school, I can often talk about nothing else, and I find it hard to 'switch off' from that mode.

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have an Eaglemoss TOS Enterprise at my office desk. Its cute and quirky. I have 37 Eaglemoss starship models at home, over $1200 worth. I'm looking at quirky in the rear view mirror. I am wearing a JDM Seiko5 mechanical speed racer as I type this. I have 12 other wrist watches at home. Two more in the check out bin waiting for me to click buy. I have 11 different screw drivers in the trunk of my car, 43 screw drivers at my office desk and, dear lord, over 155 at home, drivers not bits. I don't have a problem. I can stop any time I want. You have a problem. You don't have the right screwdriver. I know I have the right screw driver. Have you ever used a PB Swiss, Swiss grip parallel tip slotted screw driver, thing of beauty. Do Allen & Torx key sets count as screw drivers. If so ..ya, ya I don't think they make the meds I need. How many socket sets should I guy have ?? Whats a reasonable number of R2D2 action figures for a grown man or INTP to own? How many bottles of mustard should you have in your fridge at one time? Oh yaaa .... the books. I don't even see them any more. Hmmm, ya that's not a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts