Personality Cafe banner

Polls are great

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each question is intended to be a bit of a moral conflict. There are only -two- options in every question. There are no loopholes or heavy manipulation of the responses, side with something predominantly, but you are welcome to rationalize your decision afterwards.

We are all reasonably smart people, remember that any of these choices can be argued in any angle, please keep discussion to a minimum (disrupts flow), and respect the ability for others to make their own choices.

Regardless of your responses, I appreciate and respect everyone that shares their thoughts.

Note: Post #2 in this thread will contain the results from Damned if you do #1

Questions Response template further below.

1. The future is here! Advancements in technology have led to a breakthrough allowing the safe genetic modification of human embryos. Through this procedure, scientists have discovered that by manipulating certain genes within the early stages of development, they are able to enhance the future cognitive functioning of the subject (learns faster / less stress + anxiety) and significantly reduce, or eliminate the chances of numerous disorders and diseases. Extensive testing of this procedure has proven that it is safe, there are no future repercussions for the subject, and they will generally behave the same as they would without the modification, just with certain enhancements. What a coincidence! You and your spouse will bringing a new bundle of joy into this world -- will you 'modify' your future child? (Note: Consider that while you may say 'no', there are many others that would say 'yes' what are the implications of that?).

Yes, I will approve the treatment of our child
No, I refuse the treatment.

--------------------------------------

2. An apparition calls to you in your dreams. It foretells the imminent approach of a natural disaster that will result in the loss of many lives. As he smirks at you, he gives you the choice of where this disaster will hit. Your first option is a neighboring state / province where 5000 lives will be lost -- you will not be directly influenced by the disaster and none of your family or friends will be harmed in it. The last option is that the calamity will hit either China or India (boasting significantly the largest populations in the world) and the death total will be 5600 lives. Where would you prefer the disaster to occur?

Nearby (5000 lives lost).
In a larger distant country (5600 lives lost).

----------------------------------------

3. How could this be happening!? They've watched you grow up, they've been with you through the best and worst times of your life, and deep down you know they'd do anything for you. Yet, here we are this fateful day where an age of passing nears closer. They lay in front of you, attached to countless medical devices with the haunting sound of a heartbeat in this hospital room. As the doctor walks out, you are ushered towards the bed of your elderly companion, a faint arm lifts up and a dry whisper says "please end my suffering... I don't want to be remembered by what I'll become." You see their thinning hair, their lost weight, and a mind you can feel is leaving this world. The voice continues "I've lived a long and happy life, I want to die as I am, not how the drugs will make me..." Regardless of what you do, this person will die based on their old age. Will you help them pass sooner (discreetly, painlessly, and without being caught) or will you let them live beyond their wishes -- leading to more pain and suffering for everyone.

Discreetly end their life
Sorry, but I can't do it...

-------------------------------------

4. Up until this point you have lived a reasonably happy life. While things have not been perfect, every obstacle has only served to strengthen your desire for a better future. "One day..." you always tell yourself, one day you will find someone that loves and appreciates you for who you are; every day will be like living a dream. While that day will soon come, it will not happen for some others. With this, you are given a choice, would you be willing to give up your "soulmate" and by essence, part of your raison d'etre (reason to exist) to fulfill the lives of FOUR other people? You will meet them as strangers, but develop a friendship once you help them through some crucial phases in their life -- you will be their inspiration. Do you live for yourself and your partner? Or do the weight of 4 others serve for the greatest overall happiness?

I live for myself and my partner
The lives of 4 others are more important

----------------------------------------------------

5. Ideals... a term synonymous with INFPs. The apparition you spoke with earlier thanks you for making a difficult decision and offers a reward! He will allow you the choice of creating your own 'ideal' world based on your own personal preferences. Alternatively, he can create the world using the IDEAL of someone else... perhaps someone more respected on a global scale? an admired friend? your favorite writer? Maybe even a politician.

I want my ideal world.
The ideal of another would be best suited.
**Bonus Option** No change whatsoever in the world.

-----------------------------------------------------

6. You are a high school teacher and thoroughly enjoy your job teaching students. Still, just like with any classroom, there are always a few 'problem' students. In this case, one student in particular appears to be bullied by other students, but is also generally disruptive in class. You have made it a documented issue, dealt with the bullies, but this student still appears to be a problem. The school principal says the the next 'strike' will be this students last. You pull this student aside and tell them they can't be behaving the way they are. In this conversation they confess to you about a troubling past involving foster care, an alcoholic parent, and combinations of child abuse and neglect. Right now they are in a 'better' place and undergoing therapy, but it will take time. From this point forward, the student is on their best behavior, their grades begin rapidly improving, and things are going along well. Until one day... this students bag is missing and assumes that a bully may have done something with it. This results in lots of swearing in the class and accusations. As you calm the situation down, it turns out the their bag was simply just misplaced behind a table. Still, you are legally required to report this incident -- which will serve as the final strike. If you do so, this student will be sent to a reform school for juvenile delinquents -- statistics show this method essentially creates/cultivates future criminals. What will you do?

I have no choice, but to report this
I will violate protocol and deal with this issue personally with the student

--------------------------
Copy and paste the following into your responses to simplify reading
HTML:
[b]1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No)[/b]

[b]2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)?[/b]

[b]3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will?[/b]

[b]4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others?[/b]

[b]5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now? 

[b]6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally?[/b]

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity):
Please avoid reading other posts until after you have completed your own, if you intend to participate.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
----- Here are the tabulated results from "Damned if you do" #1
>> http://personalitycafe.com/infp-for...ssorted-potential-moral-conflicts-qs-1-a.html <<
Results are -only- based INFP posts in that thread, and definitive responses (no pussy footing).
34 responses

#1 House on fire, you can only save one child (equal outside of gender). Which child would you save?
Boy: 2
Girl: 14

#2 You find out your current partner (very close) is your half brother or sister (Halfies / "Incest") -- do you continue or end the relationship?
Continue: 19
End: 15

#3 Do you think a female president would be better or worse than a male?
Better: 15
Worse: 5

#4 Spare change for the Homeless person or Attractive person?
Homeless:21
Attractive: 7

#5 Would you breach job confidentiality and talk about things with your spouse?
Yes, I would: 15
No, I would not: 18

#6 During early pregnancy, Doctors claim your child will be severely disabled. What will you do?
Abortion: 15
Keep: 17

#7 Death Note - The anonymous ability to kill by writing someones name down on a piece of paper
Use / Keep: 14
Destroy: 21

** There was a bit of a discrepancy between people -actually- using it or keeping it. I assumed by keeping you are more incline to use it than someone who destroyed it. Doesn't mean you will, but still a greater risk.

#8 Sexual History -- Someone with a large number of sexual partners. Would you continue to date?
Yes: 25
No: 6

I'm on a horse!

·
Registered
687 Posts
1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No) No.

2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)? Larger distant country.

3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will? End their suffering, because I would expect that in exchange.

4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others? I guess I live for myself and my partner.

5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now? Somebody else because I am much too illogical.

6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally? I would deal with it personally.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): Five minutes?

·
Registered
717 Posts
1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No)
I would probably let (make) my spouse decide.

If I had to choose though: No. The treatment will reduce individuality and variability.

2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)?
A larger distant country. My family and friends may not be harmed, but some of their family and friends are likely to be.

3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will?
I would not end their lives, but I would find a way to give them opportunities to decide for themselves (let them end their lives themselves if they really want to), which is actually crueler than prolonging their life or ending their suffering, but it is what I would do.

4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others?
If my partner and I are already together before I meet the four others, then I would not give up my partner for them or for anything.

However, if I have not found my partner, I would give up finding my partner for the four others.

5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now?
Leave it as it is. I wouldn't want to live in an ideal or prescribed world of any kind.

6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally?
I would let it slide.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 70 minutes.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Morality to me is tied with my faith, to be honest.

1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No)

No. In my faith, it's forbidden to get myself tattooed, sorry I'm not going to risk modification. And I doubt it'd ever possibly be 'safe' without any drawback.

2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)?

Oh damn, that is horrible. In a larger distant country :(

3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will?

I can't do it with my hands because I don't know if I have the will

4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others?

Myself and my partner, sorry.

But on realistic level, honestly, even without me, I know those 4 others could still find their soulmates. Had to say it :D

5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now?

I was so tempted to say mine..But..

I'd actually prefer the world to be molded into Islamic ideals.

6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally?

Deal with it personally, I have enough faith in myself.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 10-15 minutes? My head got scratched..And I find myself feeling guilty.Damn you.

·
Registered
951 Posts
1. Despite its noble claims, the world of science is dominated by money, not concern for the benefit of humanity. Genetic manipulation has already caused considerable damage to this planet. No to the treatment.

2. I would refuse to answer this question. However, if there was even worse consequence for not answering the question I would choose the distant country.

3. Each person's life is completely his own. In this context I would support euthanasia.

4. I would choose the four others, as I probably wouldn't believe whoever was telling me I would soon have a partner.

5. I want a world where all actions, all associations are completely voluntary. I have my own ideas on how this could be done, but perhaps someone has a better idea. I'll say someone else's as I would probably at least want to talk to others before deciding what to do.

6. No, I would not report the student.

20 minutes.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I apologize for my rambling in this post. For ease of reading, I summed up my answer first.

No, I refuse the treatment.
So does this question mean my kid is living in my ideal world (Q5)? Probably not. This bothers me, mostly because I can see how bad it could go. I'm very partial to not do genetic enhancement, but what kind of life would that mean for my kid who would have to grow up in the midst of the tons who did have it done? Being born "normal" in this kind of environment would be like being born with a handicap now. And being born with a handicap is a ticket to exclusion. Yet... that's not really an excuse.
I wonder if we (all of a sudden, there's a significant other) would get blamed for deciding not to "enhance" our child. I think I would inquire if we could give her (the child) a better immune system and stuff like that, but I wouldn't want to affect her mind.

In a larger distant country (5600 lives lost).
I suck, plain and simple. My mind goes, "The world is vastly overpopulated already, China/India being the big ones. Resources will be scarce, soon." Which is true, to be fair. I hate the idea of people dying, I really do... But the practical side of me isn't letting me do the lesser of the evils. (And no, this has nothing to do with patriotism; I would pick the largest number regardless of where it was.)

Sorry, but I can't do it...
I want to say that I'd pull the plug, but I'm not sure if I could actually go through with it. Not that I find much wrong with assisted suicide (as long as the person is cognizant), it's just a huge undertaking for the person who is helping. Maybe if I was having a so-called "good day," but generally... no, I wouldn't do it. However, I would help them get a DNR and such!

I live for myself and my partner.
Hard, hard question. Everything inside of me wants that one person who would understand me. I'm not overly romantic, but I guess it is somewhat an innate longing. The question is somewhat confusing, as well. I assume, given the either/or of these questions, that none of the four people I help would be a soulmate of mine. But, rationally, if I choose a soulmate, who's to say I won't help five or even ten people? Helping people is part of who I am; if I find my soulmate, I'm not going to suddenly ignore that part of my personality.

I want my ideal world.
My ideals, no question. I wouldn't be foolish enough to think that I have a complete idea of what someone else wants the world to be like, and to keep it as it is now if I can make it better is somewhat unethical. People might not like the world I foresee, but at least I don't wish mass genocide or something. I prefer a "Good" world.

I will violate protocol and deal with this issue personally with the studentSee, to me, this is silly. Emotions got high and if the kid simply slipped up because he thought he was being picked on again (which would understandably make him defensive), then why would I condemn him to juvvie? No, I'd deal with this myself, and stick up for the kid if someone found out.

Technically, like an hour and a half, but I got interrupted halfway through. It was more like thirty minutes.

·
Registered
324 Posts

No, I'll have an imperfect natural child. I just don't think I should have control over my child's genetics in that way.

Nearby, Fewer lives lost, and I can assist the survivors get back to normal.

End the suffering. Although I know that could be difficult and I can see my self not being able to do it. But If someone I love and care for is ill and truly wishes death over prolonged life. I would do my best to oblige them.

Myself and my partner. I know it's selfish. but that's something I want more than anything so I'd go for it.

I'd change somethings maybe. I'd like to see certain things change but not being able to predict the impact of those changes. I'd probably keep it as it is.

Let it slide, it was an accident i'd give him one more chance. He could have just been having a really bad day.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity):10 minutes

·
Registered
248 Posts
1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No)No. I find genetic mutation incredibly immoral.
2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)?Can't choose. Seriously. I would refuse to make the choice.
3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will?Can't do it, sorry. Anyone that would know me that well wouldn't dare ask me to do such a thing, anyway.
4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others?I'm assuming I haven't yet met my soulmate in this scenario, so I'm going for the happiness of 4 others. I could live happily knowing I helped 4 other people experience such happiness.
5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now? No change to the world. Because everyone has free will, bad and evil will always exist. Who's to say my ideal world would turn out any better?
6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally?Not report it - deal with it on my own. I'll take the bullet if I have to. This kid's future is more important than my job.
>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 1-2 minutes

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No) Sure.

2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)? nearby....sucks but i can't justify 600 more people for a far away country

3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will? End it if it's their wishes.

4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others? Blegh....myself and my partner.

5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now? Remain exactly as is.

Deal with it personally. He's making progress, screw the bureaucracy in this instance.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 20 min including reading time.

·
Registered
126 Posts

No. I wouldn't accept treatment. Ít doesn't fit in with my moral code. All I think when I hear Genetic Manipulation is "GATTACA" (Watch it, it's brilliant.) I love the idea that the human heart and human will-power can overcome any defect. Possibly the spirit within a person becomes better with adversity in it's life; becomes a stronger force.

600 Deaths on my concience...? Thats basically what I boil it down to. The people in my 1st world life-style, would have more than likely had better living conditions for the years they'd lived anyways. (But I hate to make it a numbers game. This is a tricky question...)

I'm a bit confused with this; is it a matter of signing the documents to turn off life support, or "taking matters into your own hands"...? I have no problem with turning off life support if it's whats sustaining them, if it's their wish. Helping them commit suicide though, when their body is still able to support them, no. I would be there for them every second I could if I truely loved this person; and try everything to take their mind off the pain.

This is really hard. And while it says that I'd be an inspiration, without a significant other, I'd know I'd be truely lost, and no help to anyone.... But in the situation where I know I would; I'd still pick me and my true love. Damn tricky. But you can't take reponsibility for everyone. Very noble if you should pick this route - I'll admit I'm not a strong enough person for it.

Someone else's... My utopia is descibed in the idyllic conditions of original paradise in the Bible.

Easiest one. Cover it over, deal with it yourself. Subscribing to a system were you're going; "Yeah I'll screw this kid up over a technicality, when he's making good progress" is a very, SJ type decision to make. See the damn shade of grey in it, and make the choice that benefits the kid. There are always relapses on the way to progress. I would happily risk losing a job over it. Employment, unlike the decision to forsake your chance at true love above, is an easy choice for me. I'd risk it.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 20 mins.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

... what the hell, i'll do it. when it comes down to it, i'm not sure if it's much worse than the other things we do to to ensure our children are healthy and clever. the only major difference is, this is *so* much more instantly effective.

eh, let it hit nearby. aside from the fact that i have to choose, this isnt much of a dilemma for me. less deaths is preferable. i think i can maybe see your angle/s with this question, though.

hm. if i had the chance, i'd ask the fella to hold off and think it over for a day or two more, at least... if still adamant, then... goodnight, my friend.

this wouldnt be easy for me to do, though... lots of natural inhibitions against it.

... well. i'm doubtful to find a love anyway. :sad:

even if it were certain that i *would*, well... i might as well let the four others be happy. i'm hardly that important or useful of a person, might as well give it up so others can be guaranteed this decent turn for themselves.

i'd smile encouragingly when with them, seeing them succeed, and cry bitterly later when i'm alone. :sad:

i'm not especially fond of bloody spirits and their little games :angry: if humanity is going to make an ideal world, we have to collectively scrape ourselves out of the miserable charnel pit on our own. i'd leave the world as it is. and i revolt at the idea of being the arbiter of existence for all those creatures.

as a second option, let the other person have their wishes - assuming their wishes werent bloody hateful. i've never expected my dreams to come true.

i wont report the kid. easy answer. i have no intention to ruin a kid's future over rigid following of the rules.

numerical estimates i'm never that good at. didnt take me long, overall. the first question took me the longest... i have a tendency to prefer not to tamper with things, but, realistically, humanity tampers with itself *constantly*... we just dont get upset about it because it's become so common to our modern selves.

second question took about one second to answer, and a minute or two to consider a few reasons why you asked it.

third question, not much longer than a few moments. only real hesitation was considering that, realistically, my inclination not to kill would be severe.

fourth question i answered pretty quickly, but out of all of them (shamefully) it hurt me the most.

fifth question, with your bonus option, was easy. even before i saw the extra option, i almost immediately decided. i'm kind of good at... giving up.

final question took less than a second, no second guesses, no murkiness whatsoever.

took me probably as long, or longer, to write how long i spent on the questions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hell no. I want my baby to be who they are intended to be.

Nearby. Those countries go through enough terrible things as it is.

End their suffering, but only if it's painless for them, they truly wish it, they're going to die soon anyway, and I won't be caught. No good deed goes unpunished, you know?

Soulmate. I'd chance remaining alone forever if I could have the possibility of finding my soulmate. I might have answered differently a few months ago, but now that I've had a taste of it, I would bank everything I have on waiting for The One.

I would leave it unchanged. I don't want to play God and screw the world up by accident.

Hell no. I would talk to him personally.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): I had my mind made up as soon as I read through each premise, so a few minutes maybe? It took longer to type though.

·
Banned
1,296 Posts
No. It is ethically wrong. Cos it is against nature as intended. What will be, will be ?

Larger city away from my own family and friends. It is indeed selfish of me, but I will want to put them first.

Discreetly end their lives. Cos I still believe that the individual can have a freedom of choice. I just hope that I won't get caught out ?

At this moment in time in my life, I would still wish to find a SO. I spoke to a brother of mine, and he said that as you get older, you do see that there is less of a point ? For me, right now, I would want to live for me. Though I can see how I would live for others as I get older... Unless I find religion first, in which case, everything changes...

I want an ideal world based on my idealism. Some changes may stay, some may change.

I will voilate the protocol and deal with the student directly. As a teacher, I also have a duty to look after the wealfare of my students? Obviously, I will make a case and jot down everything that had happened, and so forth. In case anyone ever asks in the future why this happened. Well, if I lose my job over this, then so be it? To me, it is being ethical of the role of a teacher. It is a judgment call. Protocols are there to help a school, and not set as monolithic and in stone ?

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): under a min per Q. Taking longer to edit the bolded reply. Bleh. About 20 min.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

No, I would not accept the treatment. Maybe I'm too old fashioned in this sense, but I know that if I were to be genetically modified I would always be wondering "what if" regarding everything I accomplished or didn't accomplish. I would always be wondering if I actually earned any honors or what not that I received. I would never want to do that to my children, even if there is the cahnce that not getting the modification would be just as detrimental to them socially.

I think the US can figure out the recovery and whatnot of a disaster better than either China or India and so I would choose for something to hit nearby. I don't like either option by any means, but fewer losses of life and greater ability to recover faster and easier makes me think that it would be less disruptive overall.

I would assist them in ending it. This would be more about honoring final wishes rather than what I want. It is not my life and not my pain and it is not my right to go against their wishes, especially as most of my close friends and family have already told me (while fully sane and not in pain or hospital or whatnot) that they do not want to be kept on life support.

I would give up my happiness for that of the four others. I have no reason besides that I would feel too guilty if I knew that there were four people who were suffering when they could be happy all because I was too selfish and wanted to be happy myself. I can live being content, and if that is all that I get, then so be it.

I would mold the world to my ideals, but only if given enough time to firmly set those ideals in place prior to having to state what they were.

I would not report it, but deal with it on the side. Recovery takes time and there will always be setbacks and fallbacks. A punishment system does not do near half so well as far as encouraging recovery goes as what a rewards based system does.

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 10 minutes - mainly because I cheated and already knew some of these questions and thus the answers. :p

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No)Yes, I will approve the treatment of our child
It improves the quality of life.....
2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)?Nearby (5000 lives lost).
I live in India anyway......
3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will?Sorry, but I can't do it...
4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others?I live for myself and my partner
5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now?No change whatsoever in the world.
6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally?I will violate protocol and deal with this issue personally with the student
>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity):3 minutes...

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
1.) No.
2.) Country far away. I actually questioned myself and my morality here, and it probably isn't the most moral thing to say, but that was my gut and that's what I'd do.
3.) Do it!! It's their last request, how they go is important, I'd rather it be as painless as possible.
4.) Well, if me and my partner are doing perfectly or we are matched in every single way... like, soulmates, then my partner. But if this is more of a real-life scenario and I don't know when this supposed partner is coming along, the four people is another possible option that maybe I could find meaning from. That is more likely I feel... that situation (the choice) isn't really one you choose, either way you make your meaning out of what gets thrown at you and neither is more ideal.
5.)... mine :) but if i actually had to implement this world I'd need some supernatural assistance to help my iron out the kinks, enact the practical side, and keep my focused and in check on what's important/necessary.
6.) do not report, help him out. If you betrayed his trust when he was finally getting things worked out he may never recover and get back on this positive track.

Worked it out in maybe 5 mins in my head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. 'Safe' genetic enhancement of your children. Will you accept the treatment? (Yes or No) Yes

2. Inevitable disaster. Will it hit nearby (5000 lives lost) or in a larger distant country (5600 lives lost)? 5,000 lives lost

3. End the suffering of someone that has always been there for you? Or prolong it against their will? End suffering

4. Do you live for yourself and your partner OR do you value the happiness of 4 others? value happiness of four others

5. Ability to mold the world -- will it change to your ideals, someone else's, or remain exactly as it is now? someone else's

6. The troubled youth. Will you follow professional protocol and ultimately send this kid to reform school OR will you let this slide, but deal with it personally? deal with it personally

>> Estimated Amount of Time it took you to complete your response (curiosity): 7 minutes

·
Registered
448 Posts

No. Just because something isn't found yet doesn't mean it isn't there. New discoveries of even huge wide-ranging concepts have been made countless times, such as with microbiology or electromagnetic waves. I've heard that apparently some animals have refused to eat genetically modified foods, and I really have to wonder. How could they tell the difference when we can't? Even if you refined it to where they can't tell, how do you know with absolute certainty that there is no more to be seen? How arrogant to think we know it all. We're talking about modifying our entire race here, it's not something to take lightly.

Besides that, I don't believe in circumventing the natural process. I would rather do the best I can to work within the system, not try to commandeer and subjugate it, just assuming we know better. Most diseases aren't genetic, predisposition is not predetermination, and often times a strength comes along with a weakness. It's an incredibly complex system, how can you possibly know what all is entailed? Some effects may be too small to even notice, let alone to be able to know the entirety of the consequences of.

I believe in working with and communing, not being a slave or enslaving. This is my strongest felt value other than obvious things like "killing is bad."

5000/less.

If it's not affecting me or loved ones, I see little reason to even consider the additional death and suffering, other than economic or political gain (or international conflict). If it's closer, maybe I can even go volunteer or help somehow. Of course the decision may be influenced by other more specific factors, but I don't see this question as hard as it is.

Do the best I can through the proper channels. This is not something I usually value for just the sake of it, despite how this post may be starting to look, but I have numerous fears here.

What about what others who care about this person think, especially those equally close or more? What about when/if they learn what you did, how will they feel (in general and about you)? There's risk of getting caught. There may even be a possibility that it's only a momentary weakness and that they don't really mean it, or might have forgotten there was something they wanted to do/say before they go. Is it really my place to do this, and if so why are there such rules in place and such feelings surrounding it?

I can certainly understand how this is a hard question, but I don't think I personally could do it.

4 others.

Hard question, but with a flawed assumption. Such a close connection is very important to me, and I think about it a lot and make decisions with it in mind, but it's not my reason for going on. (Maybe in enneagram instinctual variants I'm so/sx, rather than sx/?? as Lad surely is. :p)

It's also hard to imagine there won't be anyone else coming along at some point, but the question can make up whatever rules it wants I guess!

My own. This is not out of selfishness, at least not in the most commonly assumed way. I spend a lot of time thinking about things, and it may be possible that I have a better general idea than many figures in history.

Each generation is the newest "version," it could be argued that each is the most cutting edge (though quite debatable). Nowadays besides just newer ideas, we have technology and internet which also dramatically affect it all in various interrelated ways. When you combine that with somebody who spends their time trying to understand the fundamental workings of the world (and not doing a hell of a lot else), it starts to appear feasible that one might have some decent ideas.

Of course it's highly debatable, but I'm fairly confident. Given that I am focused the way I am, I wouldn't know who else to suggest anyways as I spend no time studying or researching that.

My ideal would be centered around the concepts of modularity, scalability, and adaptability, with some mechanism for incorporating the ideals of others. Not necessarily by vote or democracy, as people have lives and can't be up on issues as much as somebody dedicated, but actual valid input should be escalated straight to the top (and meaningless political rhetoric/manipulation/propaganda abolished). It would aim to force itself as little as feasible on people, avoiding disagreeable (to the public) policies to the greatest extent manageable.

You could say I'm cheating a bit on the question in a "if I get 3 wishes I'll wish for more" kind of way, as my ideal would include using others' ideals, in a sense.

Why am I required to report it? No real harm was done, right? If at all possible, I would let it go. It's not in anybody's best interest to send them off, especially over something like that. The issue is only how hard it will be to carry out or what the alternatives are. If I'm going to risk being fired, then I have to wonder if my replacement is going to be better (and of course what I'm going to do, but I'm sure I'll manage, somehow).

1 hour, 52 minutes (timed, after reading full OP)

(That time is writing/typing, the actual answers were pretty quick)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts