Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading this interview of his and thought he'd be fun to type- Bastille's Dan Smith: The quiet man who can't stop singing - Features - Art - The Independent

It's interesting to me that he's become so famous when he proclaims himself to be strictly an introvert. Here are some quotes from the article:

I was very quiet as a teenager. I've never wanted to be centre of attention, which is why, I guess ,there are elements of doing this that make me so uncomfortable…” He adds: “Kyle [Simmons] who plays keys in the band always takes the piss out of the fact that most of the stuff I have to do is my idea of hell, like putting myself out there and being in photos.
I wrote songs very much for myself and thought it was really embarrassing. None of my friends ever knew. My family knew because they overheard it coming out of my room – these weird warbling noises.
I didn't tell anyone and I ended up winning it, which forced me to do a gig for the first time which was quite traumatic
I found playing under my own name a bit embarrassing. I'm not interested in writing overtly autobiographical songs. I would rather explore interesting stories. I like the idea of the songs being evocative and distinctive, so I have in my mind the atmosphere that a film could evoke. I like to think of them existing in their own little world
I don't like the attention and I don't like being on stage, but I've grown to enjoy elements of it. You can't imagine anything more mind-blowing than being onstage in front of 1,500 people, and pretty much everyone in the room shouting along to one of your songs. That's such an amazing feeling

Considering his self-proclaimed shyness, I thought that one of his band member's description of becoming part of the band was interesting (shown in the video below, the quote starts at 3:30):
Dan would ask, like, Dan had like loads like probably seeds in all these different people-- different house parties, 'yeahh, be in my band!' all different people, like-- there was an array of people, and I thought I was that special one cuz like, he'd heard about me, come and speak to me a bit, and I found out like relatively recently that he would just ask everyone and I was the only one that stuck.

So, what do you guys think? Here's another random compilation video of him for behavioral observation:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I would say he's pretty much extroverted, he won't stop talking :laughing:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts