Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read in Personality Types by Don Richard Riso that dancing is a good activity for enneagram type fives, not really sure what for, read it a week ago but I think it was to do with helping the five to open up and be more receptive to the world,to take part in it instead of just observing it and stop falling deeper and deeper in the rabbit hole,
so dancing anybody ?
(also this is my first thread so be gentle.... just kidding "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war" :laughing:

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
So I read in Personality Types by Don Richard Riso that dancing is a good activity for enneagram type fives, not really sure what for, read it a week ago but I think it was to do with helping the five to open up and be more receptive to the world,to take part in it instead of just observing it and stop falling deeper and deeper in the rabbit hole,
so dancing anybody ?
(also this is my first thread so be gentle.... just kidding "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war" :laughing:
I suck at dancing, but I enjoy strength training and yoga....
HOwever I still manage to retreat into my thoughts during that "in the present" time....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suck at dancing, but I enjoy strength training and yoga....
HOwever I still manage to retreat into my thoughts during that "in the present" time....
You don't have to be goot at it to enjoy it, I also enjoy strenght training but more becouse it helps me push my self over my limits, while dancing, and I should point out that I am by no sense of the word , a good dancer, dancing relaxes me in a way where my mind just is, it doesn't think ouh what about this or that, or is that connected to that and if I do that will that be affected etc.
when I dance it's total peace of mind :happy:

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
You don't have to be goot at it to enjoy it, I also enjoy strenght training but more becouse it helps me push my self over my limits, while dancing, and I should point out that I am by no sense of the word , a good dancer, dancing relaxes me in a way where my mind just is, it doesn't think ouh what about this or that, or is that connected to that and if I do that will that be affected etc.
when I dance it's total peace of mind :happy:
I assume you're quite experienced in dancing then?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You just sounded like you do it quite often.
Not really, mostly do it when I feel overwhelmed by my thoughts and it's not really a conscious thing, I just get the urge and later on realize I'm feeling more calm and generaly better

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I enjoyed dancing. Especially to my favorite music. I never took lessons but I also enjoy watching others dance as in going to dance recitals and the ballet.

Alas, old age has caught up with me as well as osteoarthritis in both knees, so I don't dance as often as I use to.

Reactions: SnowPharaoh

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I actually enjoy dancing a lot. I mostly dance around the house to music when I'm home alone. It's good therapy.
I'm not a good dancer, but that's really not the point haha It feels good.
I'll even dance in public at concerts or clubs if the music is good, the company is right, and I've had a few drinks ;]

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually enjoy dancing a lot. I mostly dance around the house to music when I'm home alone. It's good therapy.
I'll even dance in public at concerts or clubs if the music is good, the company is right, and I've had a few drinks ;]
Yeah that's basically me:laughing:

Reactions: Jamie.Ether

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I pretty much only dance by myself too. I feel way too self conscious around others. Oddly I took various dance lessons from the ages of 3-13 but I didn't retain any of it. I'm a terrible dancer but it feels good on my own, rocking out to super loud music. I try to be less self conscious in public but not easy to overcome.

I DO enjoy other types of physical activity that makes me feel like I'm present in my body - soccer, hiking, biking, running. I don't do any of them often enough but I feel very energized when I do them. And I don't feel embarrassed to do those things in front of others either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the book suggest dancing as a way to connect with the world insteed of just observing it so it would make sense to dance in public, but personaly like you I also enjoy it more when I'm alone : )

·
Registered
183 Posts
I enjoy it. I took ballet and jazz/tap when I was younger. Didn't get far in either but I'm glad I had a chance to hone a sense of rhythm early in life. I'm also extremely fond of those Just Dance/Dance Central games and will brazenly and publicly show up anyone bold enough to challenge me.

I could see dancing being beneficial for Fives. Being able to utilize detachment for examining one's motion and sensations would be a huge boon to learning choreography. Also, like someone else said, good performance requires that you to step out and reveal yourself to your audience. I imagine learning an instrument would be similar.

Reactions: SnowPharaoh

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Dancing is one of my most favorite pastimes and I'm very very good at it. I don't have training but people love to dance with me because I really feel the music and my partner.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
As embarrassing as this sounds, I sometimes turn my volume to max on my headset and dance. It relieves stress and built up energy. I always associated this with my Inferior Se, so it's interesting that this is also seen in type 5s.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
Yes, I love dancing even though I have no idea how. It just shakes off the rigidness of the prison that is my body and my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Dancing is about the most stressful thing on the planet for me. I've driven a motorbike going against heavy traffic in Nairobi, which is still a lot less stressful to me than dancing.

I have no idea what to do, it feels unnatural, awkward. I can't even remotely comprehend how it's supposed to be fun.

Worst, parties/weddings where there's crowds of people dancing and they try to make me participate o_O. I completely don't want to on every possible level but saying no gets people all judgemental.

Sometimes I dance with my girlfriend because it makes her happy, and I've had moments where I was sort of ok with dancing but if I'd never ever had to dance again and especially no more people that try to convince me it is fun and I should participate in my life I would be so happy.

Even typing this post about dancing gives me a mild feeling of stress, lol :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've gotten good at country/western partner dancing (two-step, waltz), to the point of participating in competitions. I absolutely love it & have sometimes gone out as much as 4x/week to practice. Besides the dancing itself, I really like it because it's a much easier way to make friends than chatting people up at happy hour. It's semi-structured; you are there to do this particular thing.

People say to me, "Dancing must be something where you can just turn your brain off and be in your body, huh," but it's not, really. My brain is constantly working when I'm doing it, though it's true I'm thinking only about the dance -- thinking, It would be best to do this move here, now work my way over to the left so the drunk guy doesn't run into me, this move will fit with this part of the song, etc. It's constant strategizing to produce the "most perfect" dance I can.

Dancing is also a good way to get chicks.

·
Warden-Commander
24,113 Posts
Ballroom dancing is one of the best things there is, unfortunately I'm so socially awkward and shy I can't find a partner, and I wouldn't dare to dance alone so I'm stuck with not dancing.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Dancing is something I have to do, I enjoy moving with the beat. It helps battle my bad moods or expresses my feeling good.
Doesnt matter where but mostly I do it for and by myself.

I slowly move to the beat with closed eyes, even if people are jumping around like crazy. People sometimes ask me why my eyes are closed when I dance, I tell them its to feel the wibe better. Or sometimes they dont even notice im dancing and tell me to stop ruining the wibe, I just smile and do my thing...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts