Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Daria. But I think I loved her more back in time...
Many people say that Daria is an INTP, but I think she's INTJ, and even an ISTJ (hum, I don't like that part). What makes me think Daria is an ISTJ is that, in the first chapter, Esteemsters, when she's made that proof to test her intelligence, she has no imagination to describe what she's seeing. Unlike Quinn, for example. She's asked: what do you see? and she says: two horses. She limits herself to what she sees...and I must say I find her pretty boring and tense to like her. I like her sarcasm, and her intelligence. But she's too tense and rigid to be liked by me.
Jane: INTP?
Quinn: ESFJ - not better than Daria, anyway
Mrs. Morgendorffer: ESTJ
Mr. Morgendorffer: ISTJ
Jane's brother (God, I don't remember his name xD): ISFP

·
Registered
828 Posts
Daria is INTJ.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
She's INTP for sure.

For the ink blot test, she was being deliberately belligerent because she wrote the test off as silly and not worth her time. She even seems to get amusement from putting off people and getting a reaction by being very blunt. This is NeFe. She shows a bit of creativity by apparently being a good writer and in situations like when she made the painting of the pretty girl, with the crude poem about bulimia.

Her character is entirely based on what goes on around her. She rarely ever sets her own goals or makes any effort to change her situation unless forced to by outer circumstances. She is just going through life observing things for the sake of it. At most, she toys with people just to get a reaction. I can't see how she could be any J type.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's INTP for sure.

For the ink blot test, she was being deliberately belligerent because she wrote the test off as silly and not worth her time. She even seems to get amusement from putting off people and getting a reaction by being very blunt. This is NeFe. She shows a bit of creativity by apparently being a good writer and in situations like when she made the painting of the pretty girl, with the crude poem about bulimia.

Her character is entirely based on what goes on around her. She rarely ever sets her own goals or makes any effort to change her situation unless forced to by outer circumstances. She is just going through life observing things for the sake of it. At most, she toys with people just to get a reaction. I can't see how she could be any J type.
I never thought of it like that,
but I did the same in a test...I found it stupid...well, not the exactly same, but very similar...
Watching things ain't a very Ni thing? And i can see her Te because she's very intelligent, and she likes all she does, and all, but I have the feeling she feels she must do them, like an assignment or something. I can't explain. I think she's INTJ.

Reactions: Praesepe

·
Registered
479 Posts
I vote INTJ too. Jane's the INTP.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd say Jane is an ISTP... I get a sensor vibe from her. As for Daria, I'm on the fence between INTP and INTJ. I never thought Daria was a J but the description does seem to fit her quite well (as does the INTP one actually..)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find there are a lot of roles in TV that seem to be an strange blend of INTJ and INTP. Like Sheldon Cooper. He's far more obvious an INTJ than Daria, but at times he looks like an INTP too

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I never thought of it like that,
but I did the same in a test...I found it stupid...well, not the exactly same, but very similar...
Watching things ain't a very Ni thing? And i can see her Te because she's very intelligent, and she likes all she does, and all, but I have the feeling she feels she must do them, like an assignment or something. I can't explain. I think she's INTJ.
She doesn't really let you into her thoughts very much. I interpreted her character very differently than you.

She gives off a very just-go-along-with-whatever vibe to me. She expresses herself through subtle rebellion, but she does her assignments because it's easier and more efficient than dealing with the consequences of not.

Jane tends to pull Daria into whatever scheme that Jane feels compelled to do, and without much protest from Daria. At most, Daria's argument comes down to '..or we could not do that and save us some effort.' but she goes along anyway because, well, she doesn't have anything better to do. This sounds like Pe at work to me.

I don't get Te from her at all tbh. I don't get any sense of practicality in her choices, or any attempt at doing more than just going with the flow of life.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
INTJ is unlikely for Daria, she's probably INTP or even INFP. She seems to just go with the flow, she's basically a spectator, never getting too involved with anything. She's just sitting back chillin being sarcastic and critical to the absurd people around her. I just can't see any extroverted judgement in her whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Daria makes the most sense to me as an INTP. While INTPs are imaginative (and Daria is a writer), I think the scenario cited in the OP was a good example of Daria's cynicism and tendency to write things off if they hold no interest to her personally. I see a lot of weak Fe in her rebellious behaviors like this.

Quinn is probably ESFJ, though sometimes I consider ENFJ as well.

Jane seems SP - not simply because she is an artist, but because she is a very process oriented artist, and less conceptual - this points to sensing. She is proud to be a slacker and tends to be kind of disorganized, so P seems to fit easily. She likes to blow off steam by running, and in general seems much less in her head and more physically oriented than Daria. I think she is an xSFP.

Trent could be an INFP or ISFP. He is a total layabout (IxxP), and his lyrics are very Fi.

My favorite character is Daria's dad, Jake. What type is he? Is he a frazzled SJ, or a really messed up SFP?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Minor characters...
Upchuck- ENTP (or at least tries to emulate ENTP-ish traits, fiiiiiesty)
Jodie- XNFJ, probably ENFJ
Mack- ISFP
Mr. Oneill- unhealthy version of an XNFJ (using Ni to try to turn everything into a meaningful experience, "let's all sing man in the mirror")
Mr. DeMartino- angry ESTP
Angela Li- ENTJ, extremely Te-dom
Mrs. Barch- EXFP gone wrong

Major characters:
Daria- INFP
Jane- INTJ or possibly ISTJ
Jane is shown to be more practical than Daria, taking opportunities to make money when she can (" Malled", "Dance Daria Dance", " Art Burn"). She also has a plan for after graduation.
Helen- ESTJ
Trent- ISFP
Jake- ENFP, similar in ways to Mrs. Batch but not as selfish
Tom- INTP

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Daria - INTJ
Jane - ISFP

Quinn - ESFP
Helen - ENFP
Jake - ISFJ

Brittany - ENFJ
Kevin - ESFP
Jodie - INTP
Mack - ISTP
"Upchuck" - ESFP

Tom - ENTP
Trent - INFP

Sandi - ENTJ
Stacy - ESFJ
Tiffany - Uuuhhhh...

Mr. O'Neill - ESFJ
Mr. DeMartino - ESTP
Ms. Barch - ISTJ
Ms. Li - ESTJ

·
Registered
697 Posts
Daria :INFP
Jane : ISFP
Quinn: ESFJ
Helen : ENTJ OR ESTJ
Jake : ISFJ

I'm still trying to decide about the others.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've seen people comment on Daria being an INTJ, INTP, INFP...

I don't think she's a J, she basically has no motivation and doesn't have any goal in mind, which is why I doubt she's an INTJ. And just because she's cynic/blunt doesn't mean she's a Te dom/aux.

INTP? Not very likely either, I see no Ti in her (she honestly doesn't give a fuck about how things work) and just because she's apathic/cold most of the time doesn't mean she's a thinker (I'm not saying thinkers are like this just saying that it's a common misconception).

INFP is the most likely type because it's all about how she perceives the world through her own values (Fi), she applies subjective values to people and systems and is guided by what she thinks of them. She has very strong beliefs of what's right and wrong. (For example, when she and Jodie had to do a school assignment together and Jodie used her father's name to get a deal from the bank, Daria became very oppositional towards that attitude, she found it extremely unethical and didn't agree with it, even though she knew it would make it so much easier for them to get a good grade. Yes, she agreed to do it later, but with some reluctance). She has all this "it doesn't bother me/i don't care" look but when Tom doesn't remember their anniversary together it upsets her, and she has a strong bond with Jane and values her friendship above anything else even though she doesn't openly express it - when Tom comes along it becomes clear this side of her, she gets scared of losing Jane to him.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you @sicksadworlds (I see you are a bigger fan than I am). I remember this show well though. I think Daria is an Fi type for sure, probably Fi dominant, or perhaps IxTJ (Fi tertiary). I remember seeing a lot about her ethical objections to various things, it really is about her values.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'd said INTJ over INTP, simply for the fact that she doesn't at all make an attempt to be affable.

INTP's often do, to a certain degree. They may offend people by being so cold sometimes, but INTP's tend to be nice people, or at least easy going and don't often appear depressive to me.

INTJ's are the ones usually showing contempt in the same way she does, and the lack of a desire to to be affable.

I thought she was a shoe in for INTJ, but obviously others disagree.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Tom's the most likely candidate for INTP on the show.

IMO, Daria's a great example of a non-stereotypical INFP. Reminds me of the ones I know in real life--willing to go to bat for what she believes in, but also aware of how perspective shapes reality (Fi-Si). I mean, from a character perspective, the show to me is really about an INFP stuck in an Fi-Si loop (everything she experiences merely confirms her cynicism) until she begins to explore and embrace the potential for life to be different (Ne).

·
Banned
549 Posts
I'd say Jane is an ISTP... I get a sensor vibe from her. As for Daria, I'm on the fence between INTP and INTJ. I never thought Daria was a J but the description does seem to fit her quite well (as does the INTP one actually..)
Agree on the typing for Jane. For INTJs the "J" side of the personality is not readily apparent, since the lead function is a perceiving one, plus age has a lot to do with it. I know we are talking about a fictional character here, but something tells me that the show was meant to showcase the development of a particular kind of insular teenager who's ability to marshal their talent hasn't come naturally to them yet. Anyway, the show was a revelation to me when younger. It showed that being weird and intelligent was preferable to shopping and gossiping about classmates. Still one of my favorites.

Other characters:

Quinn- ESFJ
Jake Morgendorffer- ESFJ
Helen Morgendorffer- ESTJ
Trent Lane- ISFP
Tom Sloane- ENTP
Principal Li- ESTJ
Brittany- ESFP
Jodie- ISTJ (I would partially accept INFJ for her)
Upchuck- ESTP

That's all I can think of at the moment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts