Personality Cafe banner

How do you feel about the dark triad?

• I am male and identify myself as having the Dark Triad traits.

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I am male and do not identify myself as having the Dark Triad traits.

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • I am female and identify myself as being attracted to men who have the Dark Triad traits.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • I am female and do not identify myself as being attracted to men who have the Dark Triad traits.

Votes: 16 27.1%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a thread, yes, but I don't care, starting another one to generate more conversation :wink:

The Dark Triad of personalities is a group of three personality traits: narcissism (self-obsession), machiavellianism (exploitative nature), and psychopathy (low empathy/don't really give a shit about people).

Interested to hear what people feel about this, and if you can take the poll, awesome.

Personally, I probably have a higher level of psychopathy and narcissism than most people, but I lack the machiavellian attitude, because I like truthfulness and honesty, for which that allows none.

If you want to read the already posted article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-do-love-selfobsessed-psychopaths-850007.html

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone's interested, there is a test:

HelloQuizzy.com: The Dark Triad Test

I got 54 Machiavellianism
53 Narcissism
33 Psychopathy

Which surprised me at first. Then I saw this:

• You scored 54% on Machiavellianism, higher than 26% of your peers.

• You scored 53% on Narcissism, higher than 27% of your peers.

• You scored 33% on Psychopathy, higher than 23% of your peers.
Which just worried me. Can you believe there are that many dishonest people out there? (I can't believe I scored 54 on Machiavelli, I answered very honest on all of the honesty ones!)

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
Gee, the scoring for this is such crap.

Machiavellianism: 43
Narcissism: 60
Psychopathy: 18

Ranges for the factors tracked in this test are as follows:

Machiavellianism
  • 25% is roughly normal range.
  • 60% of more is the level for a personality disorder.

Narcissism
  • 60% or more is the level for a personality disorder.

Psychopathy
  • 20% is roughly normal range.
  • Non-psychopathic compulsive criminals range between 45% and 55%.
  • If you have a score of 75% or more, it's more than likely that you are a psychopath.
Except I could tell what each question was asking for, for all the extremes I answered (truthfully) with the most opposing answer, and I had a lot of Neutrals and the rest were almost all Agree/Disagree. Accumulating point for mild responses to mild questions to reach a conclusion of almost "personality disordered" is just insane in itself. I don't think their "norms" are correct either.

(Although, this is HelloQuizzy we're talking about. Any narcissist could write a better test than that! :D)

EDIT: @Ezra: Oh, look, you're right... despite all this, I was still below average for all test takers, for this test, on each score. Amazing. I guess everyone is crazy.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Your result for The Dark Triad Test ...
You scored 76Machiavellianism, 64 Narcissism, 71 Psychopathy!

Machiavellianism

• 60% of more is the level for a personality disorder.

Narcissism

• 60% or more is the level for a personality disorder.

Psychopathy

• 20% is roughly normal range.
  • Non-psychopathic compulsive criminals range between 45% and 55%.
  • If you have a score of 75% or more, it's more than likely that you are a psychopath.

The Dark Triad in Summary

• If you have just one or two of these scores in the disorder range, you definitely share some aspects with those who exhibit the dark triad. However, you likely do not gain the full social and economic advantages that a true exemplar of the Dark Triad enjoys.
  • If all three factors tested very close to disorder range, then you probably enjoy some of the benefits of being an exemplar of the Dark Triad. You likely get more attention than average from women, if you are a hetero male or homosexual female. Further, it is likely that you find yourself making a decent amount of money at a dependable job in a middle-management positition. It's even possible that this position has actual potential for growth.
  • If you have all three factors scoring into the disorder range, you are a full exemplar of the of the Dark Triad. If you are a heterosexual male or a lesbian female, you likely have women always competing for your attention or have your pick of lovers in whatever social group you find yourself in. Further, no matter your sexual persuasion, you likely find yourself to be financially comfortable or even rich, enjoying a position of great responsibility that you skate through without applying yourself to or actually doing any work to accomplish anything for. Istead, you depend on your subordinates to do all of the work, while you sip martinis and get laid. And even if you do not possess material wealth, you are likely the alpha dog of whatever social group you belong to.

Your Analysis (Vertical line = Average)

• You scored 76% on Machiavellianism, higher than 78% of your peers.

• You scored 64% on Narcissism, higher than 58% of your peers.

• You scored 71% on Psychopathy, higher than 87% of your peers
lol The paragraphs there couldn't really be more inaccurate, with the possible exception of being alpha dog, and that's situational. Though, when I did ask some of my ex's what drew them to me, they did say my impulsive nature or false nurturing nature, that I represented myself to have. Also, I know this revolves around the old, "women being attracted to bad boys" adage, but what about men attracted to bad girls? My poll answer would have to be, I possess the dark triad traits, I'm a male, and I'm only attracted to females who possess these traits. Actually, I'd be very curious to see a study done on women who possess these traits. My ex's fit the paragraph examples far better than me, and they were honestly very successful at using men. Though, like me, they only exploited others for affection and emotional gains, as opposed to monetary gains.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
You scored 74Machiavellianism, 53 Narcissism, 41 Psychopathy!

Machiavellianism

25% is roughly normal range.
60% of more is the level for a personality disorder.

Narcissism

60% or more is the level for a personality disorder.

Psychopathy

20% is roughly normal range.
Non-psychopathic compulsive criminals range between 45% and 55%.
If you have a score of 75% or more, it's more than likely that you are a psychopath.

·
mafia mod
13,320 Posts
I am female and identify myself as being attracted to men who have the Dark Triad traits.

OK, I'll confess. The James Bond type, you bet. Everyone else is sooo boring.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You scored 75 Machiavellianism, 61 Narcissism, 71 Psychopathy!
the design of the quiz was quite crude, you can get any result you like due to the openess of every questions inclination :tongue:

also, 'psychopathy' doesn't really fit here, 'sociopathy' would be a better term...

anyway, i answered truthfully and my results are quite correct.

but in contrast to others i don't mindlessly embrace these traits. sure, there part of my personality, but i pay attention not to use them on anyone i care for or more randomly on someone, just because i can.

at any other time, they are very useful however... :crazy:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
44Machiavellianism
60 Narcissism,
53 Psychopathy

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My results:

35 Machiavellianism
28 Narcissism
10 Psychopathy

I'm actually surprised my Machiavelliansim score was as high as it is. I don't consider myself a manipulator in the slightest. In fact, all the traits of the "dark triad" goes against my own beliefs. Yep, that's me, the boring guy who always does what he's told and follow the rules... :mellow:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You scored 53Machiavellianism, 34 Narcissism, 20 Psychopathy!

Machiavellianism

60% of more is the level for a personality disorder.

Narcissism

60% or more is the level for a personality disorder.

Psychopathy

20% is roughly normal range.
Non-psychopathic compulsive criminals range between 45% and 55%.
If you have a score of 75% or more, it's more than likely that you are a psychopath.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You scored 60Machiavellianism, 38 Narcissism, 26 Psychopathy!

Meh, pretty sure I should've scored higher on machiavellianism. Ever since I read the Prince I've been pretty into that stuff.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why is the poll gender specific?
Because the Dark Triad of traits refers to the thing that women are meant to be attracted to in males.

Sure, women might have the DT, but to be honest I started this thread to see what women and men thought about the DT in, respectively, men and themselves. It's just turned into anyone, male or female, taking the test though so...

What I REALLY want to know is WHAT women think of the dark triad, their experiences of it, and what MEN think about THEIR HAVING the dark triad if they do, and if they don't want they think about that too!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Because the Dark Triad of traits refers to the thing that women are meant to be attracted to in males.

Sure, women might have the DT, but to be honest I started this thread to see what women and men thought about the DT in, respectively, men and themselves. It's just turned into anyone, male or female, taking the test though so...

What I REALLY want to know is WHAT women think of the dark triad, their experiences of it, and what MEN think about THEIR HAVING the dark triad if they do, and if they don't want they think about that too!
Well, in that case, I value honesty and communication highly, so Machiavellianism isn’t a point of attraction to me, although I do like it when people appear cunning or manipulatively witty (if that makes sense). Narcissism... a fair amount is alright (too little = “Aww, s’ok”; too much = "HELL no!”). Psychopathy... seriously? No, I am not attracted to sociopaths.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, in that case, I value honesty and communication highly, so Machiavellianism isn’t a point of attraction to me, although I do like it when people appear cunning or manipulatively witty (if that makes sense). Narcissism... a fair amount is alright (too little = “Aww, s’ok”; too much = "HELL no!”). Psychopathy... seriously? No, I am not attracted to sociopaths.
:) I guess no woman would seriously admit to anyone (least of all themselves) that they like a cheating, scheming, unempathic guy. But I guarantee that most women, when in a bar/club/pub near a DT guy, they will respond positively.

The sociopathic element you can't tell about until they've broken your heart ;) it's the very thing that makes them so attractive in the first place: their "don't care" attitude.

Quite frankly it's fucking illogical to me hahaha. But then I am ENTJ.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mean look at @Big bad wolf

Though, when I did ask some of my ex's what drew them to me, they did say my impulsive nature or false nurturing nature, that I represented myself to have.
You really think his exes ACTUALLY liked the fact that it was false? Or just that they liked it when they thought it was real?

Impulsiveness most women like because it makes men unpredictable. Obv can easily translate into: very bored quickly etc.

FWIW, the DT man fits very well with this character:

The Vapor Trail Random Brutal Love Master (RBLM)

Here today, gone today. You are The Vapor Trail. Are you in a relationship now?
What about now?
Vapor Trails can be highly charismatic people—unpredictable, confident, and magnetic. You’re experienced. You know how to handle yourself in a relationship, and many people appreciate that. Many people, all in a row.
You’ve had your share of blissful beginnings, to be sure. But things almost never turn out how you’d like, do they? The problem is you’re never happy with someone for an extended period of time. Relate to the following:
Positive
Feelings over time - her's (green)
his (red)

Vapor Trails especially need a girl who will laugh at their jokes. They’re also the most likely male type to be haunted by serious regret.

FACT: A few of your exes, the ones you were best to, will always love you. Nice going.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts