Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys and girls find appalling about yourselves, in the way you think?

Disclaimer: Rookie INTP. But...

I'll start with two honest ones from my own mind:

1. Strong urge to reveal someone's unknown inadequacies.

I feel a strong urge to reveal someones inadequacies to them - as long as they're not aware of it. Especially if the person annoys me, or is arrogant/proud, I feel very much like tearing them apart with a very direct insult, regardless of how inappropriate or rude it would be.

Of course, I do not follow through with that. That's just mean; and if someone is aware of their inadequacies, I find that rather endearing, and marks the individual as someone worthy of respect, at least in my eyes.

2. Finding rather vicious ways to disrupt the harmony of a completely innocent situation.

I find myself always coming up with ways to (I believe) seriously hurts people's feelings; things like throwing their kindness back in their face, nasty stuff like that. I have *absolutely* no intention of following through, but the fact that these thoughts exist bother me.

Please share your thoughts :)

... especially the dark side ;)

* Apologies if there's an existing thread...

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Off the top of my head:

1) I like to push people's buttons in person to see what their snapping point is. I intentionally piss someone off to see what sort of a response I'll get. It's more of a curiosity type thing than actual malicious intent, but I want to categorize people so I know what my arguing style will be with them as soon as possible in order to communicate in the best way

2) Selfishly I like to see if I'm better at someone at something or not. If it's something I feel I'm good at, I will keep working at it before I know I am at least at their level if not better. If I know I have no chance to be better or am weaker at it I avoid having to demonstrate this.

3) I'm a sports nut and am obsessively into finding statistics that best measure players value. I have zero patience to argue with people that argue about intangibles or are unable to separate their feelings about a player from the actual stats. I am not like this with virtually any other subject. It is a good thing I am not into politics at all or people would hate me once I formed strong opinions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sympathize with 2. Occasionally, I find myself stirring up trouble and setting people against each other for my own amusement while managing to stay out of the fray. Their vicious bickering just entertains me and I enjoy how easy they are to manipulate. There has to be underlying tension and I generally won't do it to people I really like. Of course innocents manage to get caught in the crossfire.

I don't feel good about doing this, but...you wanted dark side. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sometimes when someone is being a pompous ass, especially if it is a frat boy trying to hit on me, I'll pretend to be fascinated and impressed by what they are saying until I can't keep my laughter on the inside any longer and let them realize they are not dealing with a mindless bimbo and let them feel utterly foolish. One guy tried to convince me he worked at NASA, boy did I have fun jerking him around asking him scientific questions he couldn't answer.

Sometimes I want to ruin people. Only people who deserve it because of narrow-mindedness and hypocrisy or exploitation. I'm not directly confrontational so I never want to get into physical altercations, but I often think of narcing on them or setting something up to get them in trouble so their job or relationship is destroyed. Never followed through on that one, but once I probably should have because a chiropractor I was working for was not only exploitative of employees, but also of his patients and he cut corners with unsanitary practices that I could have called the health department on and gotten him shut down. But I didn't want to dwell and lash out in bitterness, that would not have been healthy for me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
1. Sometimes I tend to analyze emotions or atmospheres, feelings, so I break them in this compulsive way of control.

2. Rituals have no sense for me. Indeed, my darkside in a global perspective involves this perception of concepts like "Marriage" "Time" "Job" "Kids" "Adult way of life" like a massive attack to my conscience, freedom and perspective. Ahh, damn SJ's... just kidding.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
What do you guys and girls find appalling about yourselves, in the way you think?

I'll start with two honest ones from my own mind:

1. Strong urge to reveal someone's unknown inadequacies.

I feel a strong urge to reveal someones inadequacies to them - as long as they're not aware of it. Especially if the person annoys me, or is arrogant/proud, I feel very much like tearing them apart with a very direct insult, regardless of how inappropriate or rude it would be.

Of course, I do not follow through with that. That's just mean; and if someone is aware of their inadequacies, I find that rather endearing, and marks the individual as someone worthy of respect, at least in my eyes.
Interesting prose style. Lots of superfluous semi-colons. Be careful, or people may start revealing your unknown inadequacies to you.

2. Finding rather vicious ways to disrupt the harmony of a completely innocent situation.

I find myself always coming up with ways to (I believe) seriously hurts people's feelings; things like throwing their kindness back in their face, nasty stuff like that. I have *absolutely* no intention of following through, but the fact that these thoughts exist bother me.
Have you considered therapy? Sounds like you have a lot of unresolved anger left over from an abusive childhood. Call it a hunch...

If you can acknowledge it consciously, it's not your "darkside". It's your normal, everyday self.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm very egocentric sometimes. I have a strong urge to go in against someone when they seem very confident about something, for example SJ teachers. I'm also a bad loser. And I can definitely whine a lot. It's my way of dealing with negative emotions, probably... I guess I'm too lazy to handle them myself so I hope other people can help me 'fix' them for me. Damn that sounds terrible. I hope it's not as terrible as it sounds.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
1. My horrible use of sarcasm in very random, usually inappropriate-for-joking settings.
2. I'm a sore loser. I like to win. I dislike losing.
3. My tendency to get stuck in ruts, even if they aren't obvious to me. For example:
a. wake up after 30 minutes of alarm clock ringing
b. get dressed
c. go to school
d. come back from school
e. immediately sit in the corner of the couch that is practically your's because you've sat in it so long and go on laptop for 5 hours
f. go upstairs
g. put off going to sleep
h. go to sleep
i. repeat
4. I tend to think of other people as less intelligent than myself, and it's hard for me to accept that someone else is more intelligent than myself.
5. I romanticize mental illness.
6. Probably some other stuff, but I can't remember it right now, and I'm bored right now.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
3) I'm a sports nut and am obsessively into finding statistics that best measure players value. I have zero patience to argue with people that argue about intangibles or are unable to separate their feelings about a player from the actual stats. I am not like this with virtually any other subject. It is a good thing I am not into politics at all or people would hate me once I formed strong opinions.
I'm not an INTP but I can relate to that. Sometimes I get too caught up with being "objective" and shut out other more relevant aspects of viewing a situation. I think being caught in an analytical or objective POV is a problem for IxTP and ExTJ and can definitely lead to bringing out my "dark side".

1. My horrible use of sarcasm in very random, usually inappropriate-for-joking settings.
2. I'm a sore loser. I like to win. I dislike losing.
3. My tendency to get stuck in ruts, even if they aren't obvious to me.
I'd agree with these three points for myself as well, although I'm a good sport if I don't win.

Reactions: Nordom

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

What stage of life is a rookie INTP, newborn, 10-18, 25-50?
The part where you hate yourself for not being an extrovert.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Darksides.... lets see, i have vivid fantasies of murder, violence, and killing people. While in traffic, in class, at work.

When im talking to someone, i often wonder if i could drive my knife through them fast enough before anyone notices and i slip out.

I get envious of anyone succeeding in areas pertinent to my life. <- This one is getting better.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
The more easily scandalized someone is, the more fun it is for me to scandalize them.

I just can't help myself, sometimes.

hope other people can help me 'fix' them for me
What are friends for? You seem pretty reasonable to me...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting prose style. Lots of superfluous semi-colons. Be careful, or people may start revealing your unknown inadequacies to you.
Yes - I do use semi-colons in excess; I have no particular comment regarding that.

I have no issue with people revealing my inadequacies, if it is done in a reasonably polite manner. I'm receptive to any non-malicious criticism, and strive for self-improvement.

Have you considered therapy? Sounds like you have a lot of unresolved anger left over from an abusive childhood. Call it a hunch...
My childhood was rather sheltered, and I have a strong relationship with my parents. I have no issues with my social life at the moment.

If you can acknowledge it consciously, it's not your "darkside". It's your normal, everyday self.
Yes, but I believe that other INTPs can perhaps relate to these thoughts that are a bit less than admirable to behold, perhaps more so than other types due to our typically rampant imaginations.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Years of driving all over the country and analyzing the behavior of drivers has made me reach the point where I can predict what the other cars on the road will do in any given situation with incredible accuracy. So, of course I use this to my advantage when other drivers piss me off.

Case in point-- the street I take to school goes under and overpass, and at that point the left lane widens at an angle and there are 3-4 parking meters. When there is a car parked at the meter where the lane just starts to widen, the left driving lane will be blocked by the rear of that car enough that no one can get past. On my way to school today, some self-important tool in a BMW cut me off and then was driving really slowly, much to the chagrin of myself and everyone behind me. Then he finally moved into the left lane because it was empty, and I knew he was going to get blocked... so I sped up just enough so the front of my truck was preventing him from quickly cutting back in front of me, and he had to sit there and wait because no one in the long string of cars behind me wanted to let him over. I do that kind of thing all the time, and it warms the cockles of my evil, little heart.

·
Registered
220 Posts
HAHA I don't think anyone should recommend you therapy after seeing you type 3 sentences. That is rather sick, actually.

TO the OP: How old are you bro? When I was younger (teens) there were times when I just wanted to poke around in situations too. Only around my friends though... I can definitely remember a power feeling from causing chaos.

What actually have you done that is so terrible? IT could be that you are just becoming too analytical.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HAHA I don't think anyone should recommend you therapy after seeing you type 3 sentences. That is rather sick, actually.

TO the OP: How old are you bro? When I was younger (teens) there were times when I just wanted to poke around in situations too. Only around my friends though... I can definitely remember a power feeling from causing chaos.

What actually have you done that is so terrible? IT could be that you are just becoming too analytical.
I'm 23 this year - I haven't done anything terrible, at least not recently, or that I can recall.

I pay my taxes, I help the disabled/elderly, just busy being ordinary :p

1 - 20 of 96 Posts