Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been watching a bit of Star Wars over the weekend and after watching the Prequels I'm convinced the Anakin Skywalker aka Darth Vader is an ESFJ. I know this is debated all over the place but I have yet to find someone that has submitted viable arguments that ESFJ is his type. Most say ENTJ which in some ways is kind of an obvious pick but there is one serious flaw with that. He does way too much Fe as the adult Anakin. ENTJs have Fi as their fourth function which means that it's very rare for them to show emotions. In fact the whole premise of Anakin's fall to the Dark Side is that he cannot overcome his feelings for Padme.

In saying this I want to point out that I have been married to an ESFJ for 19 years and I know the type very well. There are three characteristics of this type that a very obvious in the Anakin character.

1 He is fiercely loyal (ESFJ and ISFJ are the most loyal types)
2 He is ruled by his feelings (Fe is his dominant function)
3 He desire for control and closure is so immense that it drives him to the dark side (he is a strong J)

The SFJ types are also the most likely to develop grudges and be overcome by jealousy. This is obvious in Episode III when he fights Obi-wan. I've seen all these characteristics up close in my wife. Her simultaneous desire to help others but also control them for their own good is very indicative of the way Anakin behaves.

He is clearly Extroverted as he has no problems expressing himself.
He is Sensory. He is a superb mechanic.
He is clearly a Feeler - he demonstrates a large amount of Fe.
And he seeks closure almost constantly so he is a Judging type.

I would love to see anyone that has watched Episodes I thru III and has an in depth understanding of Myers Briggs give me backed up arguments to the contrary.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
You know if I didnt get such a strong Fi from him I may agree.

I see sooo much Fi over Fe.

Sure he has all these feelings that are strong but they are
related to how HE sees others and how they should feel.

Thats not Fe. Thats Fi.

I think. I am a newb when it comes down to the technical.

My ESFJ will let her feelings show for sure but her feelings are always in line
for what she thinks is for the group. Ani...or darth is really only concerned for his
feelings and the feelings he will get based on what others go through.

Like does he give a shit about padme dying? To me it seems he is more inline with
not wanting the loss for himself. As appose to an altruistic Fe style kinda.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow that is a very different view on what I have experienced in my marriage. I am and INFP and my perspective is completely all about doing what is best for the group. Even at my own expense. INFPs are really that way. I think all NFs are. My wife does put the needs of the group as a high priority, but she will admit herself that her feelings over-ride everything. She admits to being very subjective. She will even tell me logic and facts don't matter as long as she feels differently she believes she is right. And she is most definitely an ESFJ.

From my study on Myers Briggs I believe that Sensory Feelers tend to focus more on their own feelings and iNtuitive Feelers tend to focus on the feelings of others. So I don't think it's Fe vs Fi. It's more SF vs NF. So maybe we can agree that he is an SF.

I talked to my brother about this and he proposed ISFP for Anakin. In many ways that fits, but he just seems to quick to express his opinions on things and ISFPs generally aren't like that.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Wow that is a very different view on what I have experienced in my marriage. I am and INFP and my perspective is completely all about doing what is best for the group. Even at my own expense. INFPs are really that way. I think all NFs are. My wife does put the needs of the group as a high priority, but she will admit herself that her feelings over-ride everything. She admits to being very subjective. She will even tell me logic and facts don't matter as long as she feels differently she believes she is right. And she is most definitely an ESFJ.

I talked to my brother about this and he proposed ISFP for Anakin. In many ways that fits, but he just seems to quick to express his opinions on things and ISFPs generally aren't like that.
I get that. Heres my thing. My mom and her three yes three sisters as tested are all ENFP.
Fi extremist. My wife ..same as you 20 years together, ESFJ.

My ESFJ may not feel the same way as the group yet will still do for the group. Begrudgingly if need be.
But her fear of losing the group always default her back to conformity with some foot stomping.
The heavy Fi users I know believe what they believe and will not leave that train of thought.
As an example. When padme disagreed with him he gave it up for her. That was it.
I dont see an ESFJ doing that as easy. They may say; well your wrong but we can find a way.

Even more of a breakdown. When he strangles her. An ESFJ would be strangling out of
frustration that she does not "get it" . When in that scene I get more of a "I fucking wasted my time
with you..if you dont get it!! die!"

maybe I'm changing this from an F thing to a J/P thing. My technical with function stacks is weak.

rushed response...leaving work forgive the errors and quick nature.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the P vs J is what really bothers me. I've actually seen several people argue in forums that Anakin is an unhealthy ESFP and that all the pouting, anger, and passion is just him being dramatic, which fits the ESFP profile. The basis for understanding P vs J is that Ps are flexible and Js seek closure. Also ESFJs are fiercely loyal and ESFPs can be very loyal but they are much less likely to let a broken relationship drive them to the dark side. They would just move on and experience life. Anakin displays all the downfalls of an unhealthy ESFJ. Anger and jealousy which then leads to rage! "I hate you!!!" he says to Obi-Wan. That is so ESFJ! When my wife is really mad at me she says the same thing because in the moment that is all she feels. That being said we do have a very close relationship and I know when she says that she still loves me, but in the moment can't get past her hate/rage.

Here is a good comparison of ESFJ vs ESFP: https://www.personality-central.com/distinguishing-ESFJ-and-ESFP.html

So Anakin being a J is pretty much the whole basis for my argument. He can't let go! Quote from the above webpage: ESFJs find it harder to give up memories than ESFPs. The sand people killed his mother and he has to get revenge by taking all their lives. Many types would do the same, but I would argue that ESFJs are probably the most likely to seek revenge in a fit of rage. They often will seek for vengeance! My wife does it all the time when she is watching movies or reading books it's all about getting people back for what they did to you.

·
SPOON!
119 Posts
Unhealthy ESFJ rage is scary, just like Vader choking someone to death for disappointing him. Anakin seemed alright when in good company, but no INTJ would be seduced by the dark side as we operate on principles. ESFJs base their ethics on those around them, thus the ability to be converted from one ethos to another. Also, being a slave to praise, Anakin fell to the dark side because he felt unappreciated.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
K one more shot at me ruling out ESFJ for you here.

All the points you two make about ESFJ are accurate.
But again I have to push that Fi.

What do we know to be certain about our ESFJ?
About most ESFJ for that matter.

They dont change core values very easy at all if at all.
Once set on course for their life they typically will run with
a strategy for life. They may push it around a bit and tweak
it but when their values are set...they are set. Their values
are typically set by the time they hit mid teens. I even see this in
my 23 year old ESFJ son.

How many times did Ani/Darth flop sides? 4 by my count.
We are not talking about small changes here we are talking
about the guy going polar opposite to how he took in the world.
Seems like very not Fe like and very much a P type as well.
E(N?)(S?)FP.

I know Viking was talking about not letting go yet he let go of
of entire belief systems and people. He even let himself go. That does not scream J to me.
That screams P. It screams messy P at that. E--P will move without thinking a lot.
Throw on top of that some Fi and all of a sudden they are making reactions based on personal
beliefs with no foresight. This sounds like Vader.

All this said. He was a slave child that was genius. His mom
and step pops were killed and his midichlorians were off the scale!
I mean where does this really leave us? This guy is going to be fucked
up no matter the type.

Now as a final volley into to what I do not know. I am very much out of my element trying to discern
type. Never-mind my knowledge of function stacks being as deep as a mud puddle.
I will digress to more knowledgeable guess work on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts