Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Nope

Votes: 18 58.1%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My INFJ friend and I are interested in creating a dating app that is focused on using the meyers briggs and other similar personality types as baselines in an algorithm for bringing people together. I say dating app, but friendship or hookups would be options on what someone is looking for as well. I was just wondering, is there a market for this? like, would any of you guys use this? I won't give away any of the specifics, but we have a sort formula for finding the ideal type for each person (this may not be a secret but just in case it is) and it would involve pictures and music and all the good stuff that other dating apps have. Anyways, just lemme know in the poll before, or post any questions you have about this concept below!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice idea! But tough to write because there are some prejudices towards some types. Some are considered more attractive, some less. You have to find a good balance between hobbies, music, MBTI and what else you want to influence the match-finding.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Realistically this won't really work that well since there are only a few people that actually know about the MBTI. Thus the numbers will be quite low, which would lead to the dating app quite unviable in where long distant relationships are the most probable. I mean long distance relationship already have their issues for reasons, but I'll explain another day. Don't let my comment discourage you and your friend from making your app though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It would be perfect boring dating app, with a lot of old women and old dudes who didnt achieve anything in their life and they wanna talk about their personalities thinking that they are special. if i would see that on google play i would skip and would go on tinder.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Reactions: m0ncheri

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It's a cool idea, but I don't use dating apps. I think your best bet for finding a market is finding people who do use dating apps and then asking them. Otherwise you will get a lot of nos from a lot of people who don't even use these sort of things and you'll get discouraged.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Hey guys! My INFJ friend and I are interested in creating a dating app that is focused on using the meyers briggs and other similar personality types as baselines in an algorithm for bringing people together. I say dating app, but friendship or hookups would be options on what someone is looking for as well. I was just wondering, is there a market for this? like, would any of you guys use this? I won't give away any of the specifics, but we have a sort formula for finding the ideal type for each person (this may not be a secret but just in case it is) and it would involve pictures and music and all the good stuff that other dating apps have. Anyways, just lemme know in the poll before, or post any questions you have about this concept below!
i think you should qualify your initial question - IF you use dating apps, would you use one which has MBTI/Enneagram functions in addition to all the standard dating app features.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thank you so much for your feedback! We have decided to move away from the "dating app" title and towards just more of a connection app. We have found through some of our research that people are naturally drawn to people whose functions are the reverse of their strongest and weakest, and so this app is intended to connect people for friendship, partnerships, relationships, hook ups etc and help them recognize and harness their natural attractions to people. I realize that it may not seem as though there is a large amount of people who know what MBTI is, but I hope to sort of inspire people to learn more about it and also teach people about it through the app. Of course this is just the base idea and it will change and grow, but it is good to know that there is some interest in it and I will continue updating on what it becomes. But, again, have no fear if you are not interested in dating apps- it is more just for people who want to make connections based on psychology and science versus just common interests.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hey guys, thank you so much for your feedback! We have decided to move away from the "dating app" title and towards just more of a connection app. We have found through some of our research that people are naturally drawn to people whose functions are the reverse of their strongest and weakest, and so this app is intended to connect people for friendship, partnerships, relationships, hook ups etc and help them recognize and harness their natural attractions to people. I realize that it may not seem as though there is a large amount of people who know what MBTI is, but I hope to sort of inspire people to learn more about it and also teach people about it through the app. Of course this is just the base idea and it will change and grow, but it is good to know that there is some interest in it and I will continue updating on what it becomes. But, again, have no fear if you are not interested in dating apps- it is more just for people who want to make connections based on psychology and science versus just common interests.
Cool cool. I have a few questions for clarification so I can have a better idea of what the app actually is.

1. Is the app going to have a built in quiz to help you figure out your type?

2. How are the two (possibly more (will there be more than two?)) individuals going to determine if, when, and where they are going to meet? Is it like a chat system or a swipe right sorta deal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool cool. I have a few questions for clarification so I can have a better idea of what the app actually is.

1. Is the app going to have a built in quiz to help you figure out your type?

2. How are the two (possibly more (will there be more than two?)) individuals going to determine if, when, and where they are going to meet? Is it like a chat system or a swipe right sorta deal?
Hey! Thanks for your questions.
1. The app will have a quiz- we were wondering if we should sort of combine aspects of multiple personality quizzes such as MBTI and the Enneagram etc to make one sort of master quiz, but the letters and abbreviations would be the same as in MBTI if that makes sense- the quiz would just be more thorough.
2. There will be groups like there are in Tinder, and we were considering a sort of "chat room" type thing for just anybody using the app who doesn't care much about specifics of being typed together to communicate in. Besides that, for two people who want to connect, it will be sort of like other apps where you are shown possible matches based on the data you've inpute, and then you will have the option to "learn more" aka chat with the person one on one. Then, just like in other sites you can decide if you want to exchange other data such as phone numbers, social media, etc.

Hope those answer your questions! Let me know if you need further clarification. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually sounds like a great idea and jealous I hadn't thought of it. And I would totally use it since there are perfect conversation starters. Not everyone seems to be comfortable talking about their personality so it would attract way fewer people than tinder and other such apps, but all users do have that common interest so it can still be successful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually sounds like a great idea and jealous I hadn't thought of it. And I would totally use it since there are perfect conversation starters. Not everyone seems to be comfortable talking about their personality so it would attract way fewer people than tinder and other such apps, but all users do have that common interest so it can still be successful.
Thank you for your feedback! I hadn't considered that some aren't comfortable talking about their type, would you mind expanding more on that? Is it due to fear of stigma against it or just general discomfort? Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for your feedback! I hadn't considered that some aren't comfortable talking about their type, would you mind expanding more on that? Is it due to fear of stigma against it or just general discomfort? Thanks!
Well I worded it wrong looking back, instead of discomfort I would just say lack of insterest-and that lack of interest is in S types. I notice more intuitives than sensors in these forums despite the fact that there are three times as many sensors in the population. Nothing wrong with them they just aren't as interested as N types in MBTI generally. Also, whenever I'm on tinder and someone posts their type it is 9 times out of 10 an N type. And it makes sense. Being the minority N types feel misunderstood more often and when they find a description that generally fits them it is exciting and they want to share it.
Why do I bring these points up? Well most of the population is S types and S types are significantly less likely to be interested in sharing or talking about their MBTI type for whatever reason, probably lack of interest. This eliminates a huge portion of the potential dating population. In big cities this won't be problematic but in more rural and suburban areas where there already isn't as many people, eliminating this significant amount might render the app useless to some people just because there aren't enough users.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,762 Posts
Besides MBTI, be sure to include political personality types, temperaments and learning styles. It offers a more complete picture of the person.

More information on those personality traits: http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/1132474-mbti-add-personality-systems-enhance-character-description-profiling.html

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah as people have mentioned before the problem is that most people don’t know what MBTI is. In addition, a lot of people that do don’t come onto forums like this. So you would need to find a way to market it to people outside of these forums. Also, while there are sensors like me interested in MBTI most sensors don’t take a big interest as most sensors don’t see MBTI as having practical importance in their lives. So you would have a huge intuitive bias going on with this dating site. I think you should include other factors like politics, religion, values, and other common interests. I basically don’t think the site can be solely MBTI based

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have dated 5 INFJ women through Match,Ourtime and OKCupid...although we had 5+ hour conversations and got along well...we had zip chemistry.So far no dating site/app can predict chemistry between two people.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts