Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned the show awhile back on here. Have any of you guys seen this?

Hear me out, basically what happens is they take 3 guys and 3 girls and introduce them to one another in a dark room. From there, they have 1 on 1 dates (their choice), maybe get to look through someones suitcase, etc etc. Basically they get to know a lot about the person, but don't get to "see" them till the end.

Here's a quick promo for it
YouTube - Dating in the Dark, July 20th on ABC

Now I consider myself a confident guy, and I can totally meet up with anyone. Meeting people in the dark? Easyyy. However, can you imagine how mortally petrified you would be to establish a bit of a connection, -then- have to reveal yourself at the end and wonder if they'll still like you? That sheer possibility of disappointing someone has to be one of the most grueling feelings ever.

Once they reveal themselves, they can't talk. The date ends there and they have to make a decision to push it forward or just walk out. Lots of times you'll see a guy that's popular with two ladies, and he'll have an -incredible- connection with one, but the other is a total bombshell.

It's really interesting, some of it really makes me shake my head, but it seems like there's a bit of the hard truth in there too. I know a lot of it is for show, but it might be worth a glance.

------

How do you guys think you'd be in that situation? Any general thoughts?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I'd probably have to try to tap into my intuition 1000000000x more than usual to get over anxiety :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Okay, honestly, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
it's a really interesting idea. Curious to see how this all pans out.

just watching an episode now to get an idea.

I'd get annihilated in a competition thing like this! Talk about being put on the spot a lot.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
If I were put into that situation... I'd go there with zero expectations. I'll just take things as casual as possible so that the end result isn't so harsh.

Come to think of it... I've never even heard of that show before. o_o

·
Registered
33 Posts
i've watched that show!! I LLOOOVVEEE it! I feel like they should have storefronts for people to participate in this activity more often! I love the idea of it and doesn't freak me out. I do feel bad for some of the people on the show tho that end up not being picked for their 'personality'....must be quite a blow. But i guess it's a learning experience. Shows you alot about yourself.

I don't know if u saw the episode with the twins? They always used each other to nab up girls and in the dark room NEITHER of them left with a female. Lesson: Stuck in your comfort zone.

I wonder what my lesson would be. Probably something like...I have no idea actually. I guess I would go in and make the best of the situation. Hope that i met a guy that was nice. and choose the guy that i felt the strongest chemistry with. I guess I would also try to talk about the basics--to ensure that my partner actually liked ME.
aka.Where I'm from, Where I'm going, the pace at which I like to live my life (predictable or spontaneous), and values i live by.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've watched that show!! I LLOOOVVEEE it! I feel like they should have storefronts for people to participate in this activity more often! I love the idea of it and doesn't freak me out. I do feel bad for some of the people on the show tho that end up not being picked for their 'personality'....must be quite a blow. But i guess it's a learning experience. Shows you alot about yourself.

I don't know if u saw the episode with the twins? They always used each other to nab up girls and in the dark room NEITHER of them left with a female. Lesson: Stuck in your comfort zone.

I wonder what my lesson would be. Probably something like...I have no idea actually. I guess I would go in and make the best of the situation. Hope that i met a guy that was nice. and choose the guy that i felt the strongest chemistry with. I guess I would also try to talk about the basics--to ensure that my partner actually liked ME.
aka.Where I'm from, Where I'm going, the pace at which I like to live my life (predictable or spontaneous), and values i live by.
Haha, the twin one. Ya, I just saw that the other day.

One of them I knew was a jerk from the get go (the one who seemed to have no social skills), but I thought the other one would have done well. The fish thing really put off that other girl. In all truth though, she was kinda a flake.

The main show that sticks out to me was with that blonde entrepreneur girl and the model. I can't believe there even needed to be a debate on that one.

------

And that's a great way for you to go into it, but can you imagine being a little mannequin for them to judge after you guys made a connection? I'm pretty bold, but I feel awkward just watching those parts. Interestingly enough though, a lot of the attractive girls don't seem as high strung as you'd think, but a lot of the guys are total pigs and players.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haha, the twin one. Ya, I just saw that the other day.

One of them I knew was a jerk from the get go (the one who seemed to have no social skills), but I thought the other one would have done well. The fish thing really put off that other girl. In all truth though, she was kinda a flake.

The main show that sticks out to me was with that blonde entrepreneur girl and the model. I can't believe there even needed to be a debate on that one.

------

And that's a great way for you to go into it, but can you imagine being a little mannequin for them to judge after you guys made a connection? I'm pretty bold, but I feel awkward just watching those parts. Interestingly enough though, a lot of the attractive girls don't seem as high strung as you'd think, but a lot of the guys are total pigs and players.

I know that model thought she was such hot shieettt. :X unless u liked the model then uh...do you. lol

I feel like you and I would have a lot in common except for the fact that I'm in everyone's face and u might not like people in ur face. Other than that--I'm not sure about you but I'm not an unattractive person, but I've mostly relied on my personality to nab up partners. Actually I can't recall a time when I've relied on my looks. Maybe you might feel the same way and if you do I'm sure the awkwardness would fade easily because they can't actually see you. I can't see myself turning into a little mannequin because it would be my chance to be as genuine as possible...no judgment hitting me directly in the face. :D

In my pysch class I learned that people have more "balls" when they have masks on because they won't get in trouble for their behavior. i assume that this dark room is much like that where people might do or say things they normally wouldn't be able to get away with. Just a thought.

Also, for your final part yes, people aren't always what they seem...and on top of it people who are coming on this show seem to feel some ways about separating appearances from personality, so if your lucky and didn't fall into a hook-up or lack of personality group then I think your good.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is a bit like online dating I guess.

You can have a connection with someone through text, then swap pics and have a heart attack.

I love the tv show, unfortunately I cant watch it anymore because I dont pay for the channel where it's shown, TV licence 's enough!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts