Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading David Allen's book on and off for the past couple weeks. I'm at the point we're I definitely need to start implementing a system. There's a lot of people that have had success implementing it.

David has claimed to be an INTP, so his way of doing things might be ideal.

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with his system...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I found the concept interesting in theory, and think it has some potential.

A hard copy tickler file is a bit perverse, but I've implemented minimal aspects of it, at times.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah It's a time management system:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...=0142000280&ref_=sr_1_1&qid=1334525301&sr=8-1

What he says about it makes a lot of sense, especially for an INTP. Basically, he encourages writing all your ideas and to do lists down on paper, or in a software program. Doing this frees up your mind (he compares it to RAM in a computer) to not have to waste room remembering stuff to get done. Then you separate your goals and to-do lists into different piles based on urgency. And instead of over analyzing, you just grab one item, do it, and cross it off, and continue the process. It's obviously more in depth than that, but it's a pretty awesome system and makes sense. I'm working on implementing it this week.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Eh, I dislike these self-help books. I don't see how making a list (no matter how complex the system is) will quell my other tendencies that can leave me doing nothing productive at times.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I know what you mean. I need time to brainstorm and think about stuff every day, but I'm also running my business right now and need to get my tasks done in order for it to continue to be successful. I think implementing a system or routine will actually work well in the long run. Once our Si adapts to the change, it can become habit.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
I've made lists before ... oh, wait. I made a vow to myself to make a list every day of things I needed or wanted to accomplish ... and never got around to it on the first day I vowed to do it.

Personally, I associate list-making habits with my OCD grandfather and all of his children ... who all make lists because that's what they were raised to do. @[email protected]

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
At my research/project-based job, I've started a habit of documenting my thoughts, to-do tasks, updates throughout the day, complete with first-person commentary (that sometimes goes off on a tangent). At the end of the day, I send it all to myself. I now have a Work folder in my inbox from 'Day 1' to 'Day 90'. Apart from being a record of progress, doing this helps me at least put my many ideas in writing...and yes, to my brain, it also works like a RAM does to a computer.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah It's a time management system:

Amazon.com: Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity (9780142000281): David Allen: Books

What he says about it makes a lot of sense, especially for an INTP. Basically, he encourages writing all your ideas and to do lists down on paper, or in a software program. Doing this frees up your mind (he compares it to RAM in a computer) to not have to waste room remembering stuff to get done. Then you separate your goals and to-do lists into different piles based on urgency. And instead of over analyzing, you just grab one item, do it, and cross it off, and continue the process. It's obviously more in depth than that, but it's a pretty awesome system and makes sense. I'm working on implementing it this week.
Yea..... that does not work for me. At all. Never has.
I'm not a 'list' and 'written outline' person.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At my research/project-based job, I've started a habit of documenting my thoughts, to-do tasks, updates throughout the day, complete with first-person commentary (that sometimes goes off on a tangent). At the end of the day, I send it all to myself. I now have a Work folder in my inbox from 'Day 1' to 'Day 90'. Apart from being a record of progress, doing this helps me at least put my many ideas in writing...and yes, to my brain, it also works like a RAM does to a computer.
Awesome, yeah this is pretty similar to David Allen's GTD method. I think the whole idea of making sure everything is written down and put in a central location really helps clear the mind and allows us to continue thinking more and worrying less. And it will lower stress levels because things aren't being forgotten.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea..... that does not work for me. At all. Never has.
I'm not a 'list' and 'written outline' person.
I agree that I'm not either. But is that just because we assume that as a P, we shouldn't be organized in some way? Have you had success with any other methods of getting stuff done efficiently? (I'm not saying this defensively, I'm just curious.)

I have 3 whiteboards set up next to my computer right now. I use them whenever I have an idea that I think is important. I write in different colors because I am more right brained than left brained and it helps keep my interest.

Once they get too full, I take a picture of everything on there, and save it to Evernote (an awesome app) on my phone. I then erase the board and write whatever comes up.

I also have a bunch of different colored Post-It notes that I use for reminders of stuff I need to get done today. I also sometimes write quotes, ideas, or anything else I want to remember and stick them to the whiteboard. I'm a visual person so having both the white board and post it notes around me help keep me on track. (I'm also a Kinesthetic learner so the act of writing something down helps a ton too).

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree that I'm not either. But is that just because we assume that as a P, we shouldn't be organized in some way? Have you had success with any other methods of getting stuff done efficiently? (I'm not saying this defensively, I'm just curious.)
Don't worry about it, that's a valid point. Truth is, I've never been a very outwardly organized person. I like doing things in my head - even if I am a bit forgetful at times. To me, it makes no real difference whether or not I've written down a list of things to do, because more often than not, I'll lost that list or misplace it.

I used to put post-its on my wall to remind me to do things, but since I've stopped using my desk, I've started setting alarms on my phone under the name of whatever assignment or 'to do' I have yet ... to do.
And my phone's been saving my butt a lot these days. I use the built-in memo app to jot down ideas and poems as they come to me, and since I almost always have my phone on me, they're always within reach.
So... if that counts as some kind of organization that would fit into David Allen's outline, I'm quite guilty and I recant my initial statement.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I've made lists before ... oh, wait. I made a vow to myself to make a list every day of things I needed or wanted to accomplish ... and never got around to it on the first day I vowed to do it.

Personally, I associate list-making habits with my OCD grandfather and all of his children ... who all make lists because that's what they were raised to do. @[email protected]
I have my own method of getting things done. I like to call it "getting my ass off the Internet".

It works wonders for me.
I can't make lists to save my life. When the rare occasion comes that I do make one, this is what happens.

Text Font Illustration

·
Registered
692 Posts
Don't worry about it, that's a valid point. Truth is, I've never been a very outwardly organized person. I like doing things in my head - even if I am a bit forgetful at times. To me, it makes no real difference whether or not I've written down a list of things to do, because more often than not, I'll lost that list or misplace it.

I used to put post-its on my wall to remind me to do things, but since I've stopped using my desk, I've started setting alarms on my phone under the name of whatever assignment or 'to do' I have yet ... to do.
And my phone's been saving my butt a lot these days. I use the built-in memo app to jot down ideas and poems as they come to me, and since I almost always have my phone on me, they're always within reach.
So... if that counts as some kind of organization that would fit into David Allen's outline, I'm quite guilty and I recant my initial statement.
Yeah, the phone seems to work best for me. I've tried various apps that I could sync with online. The best that has worked for me is Google Calendar. I can type stuff with a real keyboard and sync it with my phone's calendar, and up pops a reminder when I need to do something.

I still write things on paper. Mainly in a 6 x 9 notepad. I keep about three of them. One in the backpack, one in the truck and one at home. I find they work well because I often think of thinks when I'm out and about. When I sit down in a restaurant I write down things I've thought of. If it has a deadline I'll put in in the iPhone Calendar. The other stuff stays on paper because I hate typing lists on a tiny iPhone keyboard. Sometimes I'll email myself at night so I see things when I check my email in the morning.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I'm definitely using my phone a lot right now. I use Siri on my iPhone just to mark down reminders. I have this meeting in 3 weeks that I know I'm gonna forget if my phone doesn't go off that day.

I do that same thing with notebooks. I try my best to consolidate everything I write down to 1 or 2 notebooks, but right now I have 4 that I'm using. I've found that using Evernote has helped a ton. It syncs up to my phone, my computers, and stores everything (notes, audio, pictures) in the cloud. And it has a search function so you can go back through them and find whatever it is you're looking for.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, the phone seems to work best for me. I've tried various apps that I could sync with online. The best that has worked for me is Google Calendar. I can type stuff with a real keyboard and sync it with my phone's calendar, and up pops a reminder when I need to do something.

I still write things on paper. Mainly in a 6 x 9 notepad. I keep about three of them. One in the backpack, one in the truck and one at home. I find they work well because I often think of thinks when I'm out and about. When I sit down in a restaurant I write down things I've thought of. If it has a deadline I'll put in in the iPhone Calendar. The other stuff stays on paper because I hate typing lists on a tiny iPhone keyboard. Sometimes I'll email myself at night so I see things when I check my email in the morning.
Yes, but can you remember the milk ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I always remember the milk. I forgot the toilet paper though. I had to make a special trip to the store for that item.
What about socks and shoes to go to the shop to get the toilet paper?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts